cwcannon

Wide Format Printer

I'm thinking about doing some exploring into full color decals and utilizing the contour cutting feature of my cutter. Any suggestions on a wide format printer? I'm thinking a nice used one would be just fine and I don't think I'd need anything wider than 24". Any feedback would be awesome.

Guest kenya

I'm interested also..... let's hear some feedback.  :)

Guest fivestar

You'll want one bigger then 24".  Trust me you'll use it A LOT more then you realize.  I actually suggest a 54" one.

Well maybe some feedback on different sizes would work. Mainly it's a space issue for me.

Start with a small desk top first. 

You will be in it for less money, and if it's not for you, the desktop can also print you invoices!

Look around for some free samples of inkjet media and overlaminate, cut them down to fit in the desk top.

This is currently what I am doing, until I can afford a larger printer.

Thanks for the link, I may just have to pick one of them up. My trusty C88 that I've done transfers with for years kicked over the summer so I bought a cheap epson that used durabrite inks to finish what I was working on. This looks like a good upgrade for me - thanks again!

Thanks for the link, I may just have to pick one of them up. My trusty C88 that I've done transfers with for years kicked over the summer so I bought a cheap epson that used durabrite inks to finish what I was working on. This looks like a good upgrade for me - thanks again!

There is also a Epson 1400 model will these work for printing on transfers?

I have NO clue, I just bought my cutter as a newb and just yesterday bought a used heat press and not even sure what all I can do with it.

From what I've read the main thing with transfers is the durabrite ink, so I think it would be fine. I hadn't really thought about doing stickers so that's an added bonus - giddyup!

For me it's a COST issue. I can make space, but have you priced them? Cheapest one I've seen is about 6-8K and that's only 30" (Roland). So yeah I'd gladly buy a printer that can print and cut but man I don't wanna pay 10k or even 6k at the moment.

That said, I already have an LP24, and I know if I buy an Epson Workforce 40 I can use their superior Durabrite (instant dry) inks recommended by Papilion, combine that with an overlaminate and then contour cut. For cut-to-order stuff it will work perfectly. If something is selling a lot I'd probably have it printed by someone else. The Workforce 40 is only 100 bucks, and that leaves plenty of cash to buy more ink, paper, etc.

I have a 42" HP Designjet 500 I have printed on the HP self adhesive vinyl with it. After sitting for a few minutes i dipped the vinyl in water and tried to smudge it. It did just fine. I have not put any outside yet. Any body used one of these yet?

I use a Epson R-1900.......It works great on vinyl....KolorChrome 2 Ink, its a pigment ink.....prints 13" wide x44" long and you can always tile if needed....also

they have the 3800 (beacon Graphics) I use avery Inkjet matte vinyl and after out gasing.......I use 3 coats of Frog Spit.......(Frogjuice in a spray can) and its works great been useing about 3 yrs....(Far-from Normal.com) So if ya want to get your feet wet in Digital Print....... start here with a epson R-1900 about $1000 dollars will

get you started with a product that you will be proud of......and you can hand cut with a frisket knife very fast.....if you don't have a contour cutter.....

bigjimt, here is my question if you can buy an epson R-1900 for about $399 what else would be needed?  Is KolorChrom 2 Ink that expensive?  Or what else would you need? 

anyone have any experience with the HP DesignJet 3500? If so good or bad? what would a nice one be worth?

Sorry........been very busy......when I got mine it was 499.00 plus extra ink (2 sets)

129.00 each and roll of avery 36" matte vinyl and a case of frog juice....(56.00)

so it was almost a grand........but you can if you want @399.00 get started for that.....but you will need vinyl and a overlayment of some kind......UV Vinyl will

work just fine.......whatever you like.......Oh I cut my 36" vinyl in 13" x 36" strips

and if I need 44" then I cut it the long way to 13" x 44" then you can use smaller pieces for small decals..........I have very little waste so your right you can start for

only 399.00 I guess.......all in how you look at it........I just added it all up as startup....... :)

I look at everything.......a MH-721 349.00 + shipping 9.99

now........you still need vinyl, and premask.....at least to make

anything.......lol nothing is cheap as it seems.....

Epson Stylus Pro 7000 series, 24 inch. You can print indoor displays, a bunch of transfers, phototex fathead kinda thingys, and you can find them for next to nothing. My aftermarket ink cost was more than I gave for the printer, if that tells ya anything. Just remember, you can use a 13 inch wide material in a 24 inch printer, but it's hard to run 24 in a 13 incher. All depends on how your pockets are, and what you're wanting to produce. What's the old saying, bigger is always better. Although I wouldn't know anything about that, just what I've heard.