Sign in to follow this  
prettybird

Will Oracal 631 vinyl stick to wall painted with flat paint?

Hello, Anyone know if the Oracal 631 matte vinyl is supposed to stick to walls that have been painted with flat paint? I called the vinyl store where I get it, and they said you should be able to get it to stick, but I've read online that it doesn't stick.  I sell wall word decal stickers and someone bought one from me that has flat paint on their wall and they can't get it to stick.  Any suggestions on what I can tell her how to get it to stick?  And is there a better kind of vinyl I should be using for the wall words that has a matte finish?  They said at the vinyl store that the 631 is temporary and they can't guarantee it to stick to anything for very long.  But I thought this was the right kind of vinyl to use for this type of thing so I could use your input.  Thanks so much!!

From my experience it will stick to flat paint on a textured wall better than it will stick to semi-gloss paint on a textured wall.

Jay

The only paint I've had trouble with had a washable finish.  It took a while, but it even stuck to that.  You might try applying a little heat to the transfer tape (use a hairdryer) while burnishing and see if that helps.

Sorry to drag an old thread out of mothballs, but I just did this yesterday with 631 on a flat paint wall. Took F.O.R.E.V.E.R. to get the HT55 tape off and get the vinyl to somewhat stick to the wall. I didn't realize the walls were flat paint before I did the job. It was for a friend so I helped install. What a major PAIN. Of course I don't want to sell them anything except flat vinyl for interior walls, but they didn't want balk or white that comes in 651 flat. Looks funny to have gloss letters on a flat or eggshell painted wall.

Update: paint is Benjamin Moore regal Select, flat.

Are there any updated recommendations for 2019?

Edited by The Flaming Eyeball
added info

.   There are many places that sell it online as well as Ebay.  Amazon.   Sheets and rolls. Feel free to search.  It's not a rare vinyl, it's just an economy vinyl. 

I’ve had trouble with 631 on textured walls (stucco, orange peel drywall), but not with matte paint.

The trick is to use a low-tack tape. A heat gun would probably help the tape release as well.

I wouldn’t use 631 in areas where people are likely to rub against it or pick at it, though. It’s really best in my experience for temporary installations and for things that are out of reach but that you don’t want to damage drywall.

A heat gun will get you in trouble.  Too much heat and the glue on the transfer tape gets super stick and separates from the carrier sheet.  

I always bring a few small samples and try them on the walls.  If they don't stick well for me, I won't even give them an option, I would just say something like  "You have paint that is not good for vinyl" and walk away from the job.  Life is too short to deal with difficult jobs, trying to find work-arounds for it, and ending up with a nightmare.

That being said... I haven't encountered paint that my vinyl won't stick to.  

...yet...