Sign in to follow this  
Trauma11

Questions with LaserPoint USCutter and Intel based Apple

I have an intel based macbook and I am currently installing windows so I will have fewer issues when my cutter arrives.  Currently I am looking at the 24" USCutter LaserPoint w/Contour Cut, etc.  I have read that there are issues with using the Apple USB to the USB on the cutter so I am going to use the USB to serial adapter that others have used to correct this issue.

What software options do I have when using an Mac OS?  Also, you cannot cut from programs such as photoshop and illustrator, you can only use them to create the art, correct?  

When I order this cutter, what program should I initially look at to begin cutting in Mac OS?  

If I choose to use Corel Draw on Windows, I can create art and cut all from that same program?

Will using Windows on my Apple make life easier in the long run or will it be fine just figuring out how to do all this stuff on Mac OS?

Thank You in advance, I am extremely new to this and just trying to absorb everything

-Brett

On the windows side some machines have a printer driver that will allow cutting directly from your design software unfortunately currently there is no such driver for the Mac or for the Laser point.

Signcut Productivity Pro (currently bundled with US Cutters) is available for either windows or Mac and integrates via plugins to both Corel, or Illustrator as well as the free open source cross platform design program Inkscape.

Mac or PC is a personal choice, Signcut will run on either platform. I personally believe that Corel X4 and SignCut along with our additional SignIt (included) plugins makes the combination as powerful and a better value than any other combination but using a Mac with Illustrator will also accomplish virtually any task available in the more expensive propriatary Signmakers software.

Cool, thanks for the help.  Sounds like illustrator with signcut productivity pro on the mac will work fine as long as I use the usb to serial adapter.