MaderDesign

Received my 3rd cutter and still problems

Strip is gone, all three machines i have checked carriage, belt tension, tape, screws, cutting pressure, speed, plotter pin.

This is not just doing it with the cutter, it's doing it with the plotter. I spoke to Levi and when Prestons backup gets here wednesday this will tell us a lot. So more than likely this 871 will be going back and upgrade to a different cutter.

Might be a dumb questions, but... is there a firmware update for this machine?

Might be worth looking into.

Your second picture looks right. I had that problem so I dropped some machine oil, Yes I wiped off the excess, and adjusted the offset. Don't know which worked but haven't had the problem since.

Guest manwayvan

Would you be interested in a 60" graphtec for 3,500? I got a guy who is selling one..

I'm going to replace it through US Cutter, They've helped me out more than ever so far with this problem. my next big purchase will hopefully be a VP-540. I just got home so now it's time to rip some thing apart and see if i can solve the problem.

This is a very odd problem with 3 different cutters of the same make (I trust that U.S. Cutter actually sent new machines for the sake of reducing variables hehe).

As someone suggested, I would try *any* other brand at this point...LP24, Graphtec, Roland and see how it works. It's very odd that your MH would give these results but others wouldn't report this issue. I know U.S. Cutter takes care of their customers...so it's a tricky one....it still strikes me as something unique to your house or electricity if you actually got three unique machines to test out.

Another possibility is that the MH's had a bad run of machines/carriages and you happened to get units with the same defect. This would become painfully evident tho when other customers complained about the same thing. Did you happen to note the serial numbers on your MH's that you got?

Couple more questions...is your machine on a proper stand? Does the machine move around a lot? This still wouldn't explain the predictability of the waviness tho...it looks so consistent that it probably has to be the hardware since you're just running test patterns without any software driving it.

Just for kicks, have you tried different outlets? I would try a few different ones just to repeat the error and rule out static, unusual electrical current. Also, you might try having U.S. Cutter test the machine at their facility after you send it back to see if they can repeat the error. If you can bring the cutter somewhere else, like to another location I'd be curious if you get the same issue there with the test-pattern.

That said, I too am curious to see the outcome. I am sure you'll get it resolved.

• Like 1

The machine is on it's proper stand located on hard wood floors. I tried plugging the cutter into other outlets and same result. Even moved it into the kitchen, sat it on the rubber feat on granite counter tops and same result. This house is brand new all the electrical is up to code using 20a outlets. Nothing in the house seems to have any such problem at all either. I'm hoping that I got a bad batch or something and it's not this house. I may take it next door to a buddies and try it there. Preston sent me his backup cutter that works perfect he said and should be here tomorrow. If it works then I know it was my cutters and I'll upgrade to a different cutter. If it messes up then I know it's something on my end. :thumbsup:

did you ever back that blade back to show less blade,? as it was sticking out too far. just barely see the blade

I did a little, people say to have it sticking out half a credit card, thats where it was before but to make sure I adjusted it some more. Same thing, plotter is the same as well. I tried moving it to laying on the floor to eliminate any shake. Terrible lol I sure hope Prestons works so that I know it's not me.

Mader, did you hook it up to pc and actually cut out a design or pattern? Or did you just use the test cut for your results.

In your software draw you out say a 4" square, rotate it 45

lol  it depends on what credit card you are using,,  some are thicker than others.. I would back it up to to almost not seeing it and do test cuts and gradually increase the length on it. See if anything changes,  and do it with the offset on..  

Guest fivestar

Go all out... and get the Graphtec!

Best advice in this thread.  :thumbsup:;D:thumbsup:

BTW, which slot are you putting it into?  It goes into the back one if you're facing the machine. 

I did get away from the test cut, i was doing the "Rockstar" logo with the RR, best design to show off the jagged lines lol. The cutter is going in the back and plotter in the front.

btw, just received my samples from 3M for the over laminate :thumbsup: but too bad I don't have anything to laminate haha.

Yep, this will indeed be a good test. If it ceases to be a perfect cutter as described by your friend when you're using it at home...something is definitely up with your environment. After that you could take your cutter to some other location and try it, see if the squiggles go away.

I am really curious to see the outcome. Please keep us posted! :thumbsup:

The machine is on it's proper stand located on hard wood floors. I tried plugging the cutter into other outlets and same result. Even moved it into the kitchen, sat it on the rubber feat on granite counter tops and same result. This house is brand new all the electrical is up to code using 20a outlets. Nothing in the house seems to have any such problem at all either. I'm hoping that I got a bad batch or something and it's not this house. I may take it next door to a buddies and try it there. Preston sent me his backup cutter that works perfect he said and should be here tomorrow. If it works then I know it was my cutters and I'll upgrade to a different cutter. If it messes up then I know it's something on my end. :thumbsup:

*UPDATE*

I just plugged in Prestonservo's machine and it's doing the same thing. I tested it first without plugging it into the computer and hitting test, and I have hooked it up to the computer to try it as well. We have all new electric in the house, i attempted to plug it into 3 different outlets around the house, all the same results.

well, this says it all. You changed nothing? Just plugged it in?

With your luck, I wouldn't get in a car with you behind the wheel for a million bucks.

The only thing I can think of is that Preston's machine was somehow damaged in transit...something came lose, something changed. If you ship it back to him and it works OK at his house...I suggest you move to new neighborhood.

Haha thanks BannerJohn, lol. Only bad luck has been with this cutter so far thank God.

"House for sale!" Reason; Cutter doesn't work in neighborhood. lol

I doubt it would, but I can try it. I am cutting on hard wood floors. When I received prestons cutter, i removed it from the box, lifted to the kitchen counter (Granite) and plugged it in. Test cut and same results. So i moved it into my office and onto the stand that's on the hard wood floor as well. Hooked it up to the computer and same results.

Grounded it, and nothing. I just don't know how much more I can do to this. I don't want to give up but I mean this is to the point where nothing is working.