haumana

Opinions on this stuff

So being a total noob to this whole process, I thought I would pick-up some vinyl in anticipation of getting my cutter (hopefully very soon).

I ran down to (basically the only) sign supply store we have here, and wasn't sure if I should be totally shocked at some of the prices they quoted me. I think I got this straight: 15" x 50 yards - $60 (Oracal 651). I ended up buying 3 yards (4.50/yard) of the glossy white 651, and a whole roll (100 yards) of the Oracal MT72 transfer tape ($55).

Truth be told, I have no idea what I should be buying and more importantly what I should be avoiding.

Okay, so I ask, how badly over charged was I? Please no laughing. And I'm sure that all your mothers out there taught you not to make fun of the less fortunate  ;D

I don't plan to get into the sign/banner making business. This is purely for fun and a hobby (else I would become work and work is no fun). I was considering buying a sample of colors from these guys and wanted to know what the opinion of this seller and his/hers stuff. Is it a good deal? or is it a rip off? I also checked out Ordway and they have nice sample of MACtac stuff, but I don't think there is anyone in Hawai'i and distributes it, so It's almost moot for me to go down that path. Or if any of you are willing to give-up the eBay IDs of the people you buy stuff from.

http://tinyurl.com/2mf2yv

Please people, any guidance - always appreciated  ;D

-J.

this guy ships USPS (which is what you need,some people only ship UPS or FedEx which would cost you a lot to Hawaii):

http://shop.vendio.com/cncsigns/store.html

For what you need,he has some good deals. Sells good stuff too.

The people you are looking at are too high. They sell in 10 FEET lengths,not yards.

On ebay,I recommend  http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZvynil_windowtint_supply

They have 12 of the 10 YARD rolls for $75 and their stuff is pretty decent.

What you paid locally is pretty much in line with sign supply shops, esp Hawaii.

Mahalo for you guidance. I suspected that whatever materials I am able to get locally are priced a little steep, especially since they are basically the only game in town. I wasn't in that warehouse very long, but it seems like every other person there was buying up Oracal Vinyl. Is Oracal that good? They also had 3M and Gerber, but I was told that Oracal was the cheapest, and the one that almost everyone here uses. You would be amazed at how many different people here sell vinyl decals - I see them at the flea markets, and any kind of product expo we have. I believe in supporting the local businesses, but not at the expense of my bottom line, not to mention they didn't look like they were hurting for my money.

Anyway, thanks for the insight. C&C seems to be the most reasonable on the shipping. Vynil Window Tint had really great prices and I would consider shipping it parcel post, but they are on the east coast ... that would make it about a 6-week wait. I think I'm a little too impatient for that  :-

So far that seller I found on eBay is looking like it'll be one of the cheapest ways to go. Ah - decisions, decisions.