flyinsignmonkey

5x15 lexan replacement face for hotel rebranding

cut using my 48"copam. besides my millermatic mig welder with an aluminum welding spool gun,  this was an awsome addition to my shop at an unbeatable price. ive allways been happy with choosing my copam

4000525036_3d5ecc4724.jpg

I made a cardinal mistake I can pass on to any of the sign people here who are just starting out.

I was on site working on other signs and the owner asked me to price replacing this face, Instead of telling them my standard reply ok let me get my measurements and I will get you a price I shot off the cuff becuase I was busy, and I undersold.  at first glance I thought it was 4x10 and its fairly high on the wall, so I left a few hundred bucks on the table.  the lesson even for experienced signpeople dont shoot from the hip.

The higher the sign the smaller it looks, that can be a problem when selling a sign because the customer thinks a smaller sign will be fine but it is a different story when it is 20 feet in the air. Is that white lexan with black vinyl?  great work

Dan

no its forest green.    yeah another mistake I havent made in years, forgetting height makes the sign look smaller.  it goes in an existing cabinet,    yeah lexan

Is a lot of your work refaces? About 50percent of my installs are refaces most back painted pan faces i have been playing with trying printed translucent on clear faces (smaller faces)

Sign looks great  :o

Stupid Question coming in 3... 2...

How do you get that sucker up in the can? I am preparing to do my first reface install with a customer who's actually gonna pay for the lexan this time :o

Last night I was up in the bucket pulling one of the old faces down to measure and bout had a hernia getting the 5'x12' down by myself. I totally under-estimated how heavy it would be. Luckily by some amazing act of kindness from the man above I was able to stabilize the sign on the bucket and hang on to it with one hand and get back to earth without dropping it.

I assume there is some sort of industry standard cradle or bracket that mounts to your bucket/lift, etc... for holding signs so you don't have to have 8 guys up on the lift for these bigger installs?

Any suggestions?  :thumbsup:

Nice Job  :o :o :thumbsup:

I would always price the sign to a size on workshop floor and anything else, delivery, fixing, height, removal of old sign etc. are all extras.

That way there's less chance of under quoting. 

Hi, been workin didnt see the question you posed untill tonight. im getting back to you because I'd hate for you to injure yourself. if you have a smaller face than the one you described I would use vise grips to lift,  ive also used a large material cargo strap with a U shaped bracket instead of the hook with an eye, ive hung that over the side of a bucket with the rest attached at the bucket then the bottom of the face can sit in it like a cradle and you control it with a pair of vise grips at the top.

ive also fabricated various jibs to connect to aerial ladder trucks and bucket trucks so the face could be hualed up with a winch.

your best bet if doing a sign face as big as the one you described removing is to have a jib and as you pull it out clamp vise grips onto it with a strap up to your jib as you pull more out get another vise grip on it and a strap. also having a helper on an extension ladder down range as its comming out to keep it from flopping around is a must. dont let the helper muscle the face just have him keep it stable. when going back in the helper on the extension ladder is thier up range at the cabinet to manuever the face into the track as you slide/push it in to the can.

inj good weather without wind on a medium to large face I have hauled the sign up with a 6' lifting strap over my neck attached to the sign with visegrips and an aluminum angle iron 5 foot long to keep the face from curling to install on my own with out a helper.

the way its done when its really large is with a sign crane.

hope this helps feel free to get ahold of me if you need more ideas or clarification

Nice job, man, that is top notch!

Did you just start with the white lexan and lay the vinyl over the front face?  What vinyl did you use?

:) on the millermatic too!

no just regular vinyl every piece a different color viny with overlaps all cut on my copam.

as for brand I was more concerned with color match than brand. so I have couple brands present on the face to match the corporate color scheme.