matt

new problem with copcam2500

well, I'm back again! after the initial excitement of being able to make a few cuts, I realized that my plotter was seizing up in the middle of jobs. It will either stop all together, or cut a diagonal line all the way across the image and then cut through the entire roll of vinyl (very costly)! I've got a 2ghz macbook, a keyspan adapter and a copcam 25000. My settings were listed in the previous post. I tried lowering the baud rate in signcut to 4600, but when I do the cutter doesn't work at all. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

I would leave the Baud rate at 9600 and ignore the message in SignCut to change it. Sometimes you get this action from the cutter when it is a bad file it is trying to cut. Might have hidden layers or nodes in the file. Which program is the file coming from, and in which format?

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using Illustrator CS2 and the send to signcut option. Saving as an illustrator file (signcut doesn't seem to want to open eps files).

SignCut should accept files from Illy in .ai or .eps format. Maybe try exporting instead of the Send To option.

I tried exporting rather than send to and I still get the same problems - the plotter seizes up, cuts a diagonal line across the entire image and then cuts through the entire roll. I noticed this does not happen with the sample files included with signcut, so I assume it is a problem with the way I am saving/opening illustrator files. Any further advice?

Maybe post a copy of the file you are having a problem with so someone on here can check it out, maybe even myself, although I do not have Illy. I have seen this happen before when there are hidden layers in the file that is being sent to the cutter.

I'm still having problems getting my plotter to work. Having reread some recent posts, I tried saving my illustrator file as an older version (Illus 10) eps to the import folder of signcut, however, when I open signcut and attempt to import it instantly crashes. For the record I'm running illustrator cs2, signcut version 2.17 with keyspan adapter, mac os 10.4.1 on a dual core intel macbook. I can get the example files that came with signcut to cut perfectly, but every file I try to cut ends up crashing the plotter. I've made sure there are no hidden layers or guidelines, so I am not sure what is causing this problem. Please advise! I've attached the file that causes my signcut to crash - type.eps.

type.eps

type.eps

I could not even get this file to open with my Windows SignCut version 2.18, so there must be a problem in the way you save the file. Is this just a basic text file from Illy, or an image that was vectorized......

Please go to the signcut site and download version 2.19 that should correct your problem. If you are going to open in signcut instead of using the send to plugin please convert to outlines and downsave to version 9.

I just thought I'd check back in with all forum readers and let you know that all of my problems were solved when I downloaded the latest version of signcut. I did a dozen cuts this weekend and it works perfectly. Thanks again for the excellent customer service. I would certainly recommend both the copam plotter and the signcut software to others. My only recommendation would be to improve on the documentation that comes with the plotter - set up takes a bit of work and the directions could use more detailed schematics. I'll try to check in on the board occasionally and assist other mac users. All the best, ;)

Glad to hear! The good people at SignCut seem to be doing a wonderful job, and a word to all users of any program we offer: If there is an update available, there is a reason for it and it should be installed as soon as possible.

;D

PS- Matt, feel free to post some pics of the work you have done with your Copam and Mac in the Show Your Work category.

;)