sunhochoi

New to vinyl .. help on wall vinyl..

First let me say that this is such a great discussion board.  I've been browsing through these topics for hours a day.. An overwhelming amount of useful info!  Hopefully i'll be cutting vinyl by the end of the week!

My question is, i've seen a few wall art pieces online that are of trees with a different collor leaf. (or basically large designs using two colors)  i've seen the multi layering process youtube video and i understand how this is done for a small logo.  however for larger graphics, lets say a 24" x 30" tree, i could place the different colored leaf where ever i choose. now when all is said and done, I'm thinking that i need one new backing paper to cover the entire graphic so that i can roll up and ship away.  Is this correct?  And if so, what would you use for the backing paper?  I've seen posts where some of you use freezer paper, or wax butcher paper (is this the general consensus?) 

The final shipped product would be the transfer paper with the composed vinyls over the wax butcher paper (ready to be applied).

can someone tell me if my steps above are wrong or right? 

i've attached an image of the type of graphic i'm talking about.

post-6258-12986545165467_thumb.jpg

post-6258-12986545177951_thumb.jpg

First of I'd like to say welcome to the forum. Now down to business.

I would use registration marks to line up the two pieces.  When you have the graphic ready to cut out, use two different colors (brown for the trunk and limbs, and green for the leaves). Then I would put a few registration marks in a few places. Then cut the image out including the reg marks.  And finally, put the application tape on the two different pieces and give them instructions on how to apply the two using the registration marks.

That's what I would do.

So Im looking for a kit or file with some trees for the nursery walls for a friend.Can anyone point me to a few good ones? Thanks

What I would do is cut the tree and then just have 2-3 different leaf styles and then cut mulitples of them side by side. Apply your tape and ship with them all grouped together so the customer can cut them out and apply as few or as many leaf's as they want and where they want on the tree.

Or you can cut the leaf's individually and stick them in a envelope for shipping to them and all they have to do is peel and stick.

Doing it that way will save you all the extra vinyl in between the leaves.