Sign in to follow this  
krys10g

Newbie needing help with ceramic tiles

Hi everyone. I purchased some 6x6 ceramic tiles, the ones with a semi rough surface. I went to put a saying on one and could NOT get the vinyl to come off the tape and stick to the tile. I tried heating the tile before I added the words, after I stuck the tape on and nothing worked. I probably got 1/10 of the letters to stick. It was a nightmare. I tried using Oracal 631 and 651 and had the same issue with both.

I read all of the posts on here regarding tiles and no one ever mentioned having this problem.

I would appreciate any help/advice/feedback.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Kristen :rolleyes:

631 is made to be removeable, so you would need a low tack app. tape for that. 

How long do you let the vinyl "adhere" before you try removing the app. tape?

Are you using wet or dry application?

I have done quite a few and I had a little trouble at first , make sure you clean the tile real good before you try I even used Alcohol as the last step.  Then make sure you apply a lot of pressure to the decal as you put it on.  Then careful and slow take the app. tape off...

This was an 18"  x 18" I did for my daughter no problems and I used 651.

Picture253.jpg

Thank you for the tips. I used the dry application method. I let it adhere probably just a couple of minutes before trying to remove the tape. Should I had waited longer? I also tried using 651 and had the same problems. I have used the 631 with this same application tape before with no problems. Maybe I should try cleaning the tiles even better?

Great picture of Marilyn. Beautiful work!

Thanks and yes I did mine dry and it really has to be clean.  I didnt wait at all after I put it on.  I found in the beginning I had the same problem with almost every tile i tried until I really cleaned them good and applied a lot of pressure putting them onto the tile.

Keep at it you will get it

Guest kenya

I have done quite a few and I had a little trouble at first , make sure you clean the tile real good before you try I even used Alcohol as the last step.  Then make sure you apply a lot of pressure to the decal as you put it on.  Then careful and slow take the app. tape off

+1...... cleaning a tile very good should fix the problem.

I clean mine, using alcohol & let them sit while I weed my vinyl- then apply.  :thumbsup:

after cleaning and degreasing the tiles really good, apply the vinyl dry, then let it sit for a while, maybe even 30 mins, then if you wet down your app tape on the backside with app fluid, it will help the tape come off easier. try that!

Thank you BigDaddyChris. I appreciate your help...I will give it a try!

Thanks everyone!

I found you don't use the wet apply method on 631 and tiles. I apply my vinyl and take off the app tape immediately. Vinyl sticks good.Sandy