cherrybomb

Starting out in Biz... For those who have been there and/ or still starting out.

I've been selling a bit of Vinyl on eBay for a while now with decals and such and I'm open to custom orders. (which I've done a few now)

And I'm thinking down the road (near future) of starting out with a small Biz out of my home.

I was wondering what does it take to start out? I've a fare way to go yet with materials, equipment and experience. (I think)

So I'd be keen to hear of stories from guys that like myself have started with nothing and stepped out and done it alone with as little as what they had. Maybe still have?

What did you NOT know. What would you do different if given the chance again? What did you start out with? And what would you recommend for some one thinking of stepping out?

I'm pretty apt with Creativity. Run a 24" PCut off my Mac. And have speedy, reliable Vinyl suppliers.

I do Ts too. (Heat press Vinyl)

Dan

You may be interested in etsy.com

you basically sign up

make your own store/shopping cart

.20 to list each item

no membership fee

small % fee from etsy when sell

sm % fee from paypay

thousands of users and buyers

Hi,

For me, I am starting out SLOWLY.

Let me explain, I bought my cutter to mess around with Airbrush stencils and paint masks. (good choice of airbrush you have btw, I have 4 Iwatas)

After buying the MH871 I started hanging out here and reading up on them and the softwares involved.

(I SUCK at learning new software, so it will take me some time getting up to speed.) :thumbsup:

Anyways, I figured I could also step into lettering and storefronts magnetic signs etc. to pay for the cutter and vinyl.

IF things went well I could create a home based business out of it.

I decided Not to rush into anything, and Learn as much as I can Before going out and looking for work with my cutter.

I have over 10 days total logged in time here alone reading as much as I can and creating Notepad files with tips suggestions and how to's and anything else I find that might help me learn.

Also reading other forums.

I do Not plan on jumping off the deep end without a lifejacket as they say.

I plan on messing with SBE Corel and Illustrator all winter long getting my confidence with them. (at least the SBE to start with)

I am setting aside about $1000.00 for Oracal 651 vinyl in 15" and 24" to have a small in stock supply on hand and buy more as needed when needed.

I plan on getting some 631 for wall words too.

I am researching the Going Rates for this type work in my area and plan on charging what the going rate is, maybe adding a nice detail here and there as a "bonus" to the customer, I will do Quality work for the going rate with some added value, (adding a border or ornamate etc. at no extra charge, the customer is happy feeling they GOT something extra out of you, for free and it would only cost a few scrap pieces that were paid for by previous jobs).

Even starting out small, or even as a hobby, you have to pay for the vinyl, electricity, wear and tear on your cutter, and your labor time. Sooner or later you WILL need to replace parts or the cutter, or add a Spare cutter, that All needs to be figured into the costs of running a business, and even a hobby that you decide to charge for, once you charge anything, it isnt a hobby anymore.

Undercutting prices does no one any good in the long run.

Undercut to far and you make nothing.

Customer see's little value in your work by doing so, and later raising prices will lead most of them going elsewhere, feeling you are then gouging them. (start cheap they will Always want it cheap)

Run Sales as a way to drum up business, and vary the sales, maybe 15% off Banners this week of a certain size, later run a Magnetics Sale etc but never work for free.

When I feel ready I will get business cards printed and make and print out flyers, get in a suit and tie and start walking the strip malls that line most suburban streets introducing myself and my services showing examples. (making sample projects and sticking them on my sliding glass doors taking nice photos and ripping it off and doing another, making example files to save and show, or even making up somthing to the customers business to show them on my laptop before walking in can help drum up business.)

I don't plan on using ebay, but not ruling it out.

Most businesses fail within the first year or two, and most "hobbies" fade away as the newness/fun fades or when we realize hey my hobby is now for everyone else but me and i'm not getting paid what it's worth.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can before deciding on what direction to take this be it a business or hobby, I am leaning towards a home based business that helps pay some bills.

I'd rather error on the side of caution than start out and screw it up from the start.

Researching every aspect is best for me, it may not be that way for others.

By taking this whole process in small steps I hope to avoid some of the mistakes that happen from just blindly jumping in without doing your homework first.

Can't avoid all mistakes but if you can lessen them you have a better chance of making it.

Keep in mind I am new at this and learning as I go daily and this is just My plan to get started.

Hope this was helpful.

im almost the same as you american and proud . i started this through my airbrushing hobby and have now turned it into a small home business. and i can echo the points you made too. slow and steady . i know its hard but take your time thats the only way .(and the way im doing it too)

Interesting guys. (hehe) as I too started out with my Plotter For stencils and thought I'll just make a bit of coin to help finance my Air brushing expenses while I'm at it.

And I hear you load and clear. I have no intention of rushing into the game. I guess browsing back hear and reading, learning is going to be the best teacher.

Vinyl tree, I'm in Vic myself. Plan to move closer to Geelong in the next twelve months or so. Do you follow any of the Airbrushing within the car/ Bike scene at all?

Dan

dan , i don't follow any particular airbrush artists but i do enjoy watching the Danial power series that my wife bought me last Christmas. and from time to time i jump into the kustom kulture lounge forum to see what new and who's doing what projects and work.(cause damm they know what they are doing!!). you should check it out some time at kustomkulturelounge.com but for the moment its been very quite for this little black duck on the airbrushing scene . id love to check your work out at sometime if your up to emailing it?

pete 

lol I've been a member on the KKL forum for a few years now Pete. You'll find me as KustomCandy over there. I have a little of my work posted up there. Nothing I brag about that's for sure lol.

I've just scored a Free Bike tank to practice my painting on. And am literally near ready to have my very first go at Flame painting. I should Post it up over there when Done.

Dan

I think the one thing I would have done differently is buy a smaller cutter than the 34 in. I've done two 30 in cuts and everything else has been smaller. I would probably have gone with the 24 in. My thinking was that there wasn't much difference in price and I didn't know what I would be cutting so went with the larger one. Most vinyl is 24 in anyway seems like.