Sign in to follow this  
TheSeff

USCutter MH-871 + Signcut X2 + OSX Intel Mac USB Writeup

Good afternoon folks!

I've decided to do a quick writeup on my setup that I'm currently using on my iMac and Macbook Pro through Signcut X2. I have had a couple friends hit a wall regarding getting their USCutter plotters to work directly with their Intel Apple computers and Signcut. A few people on this board will tell you to simply go out and buy a USB to Serial adapter and that's all you need. Personally this was hit and miss, as I couldn't find a working one at Best Buy or any of the smaller electronics stores around me. There's no more CompUSA around here, and the Apple Store near me doesn't carry the Keyspan adapter that a lot of people have found as a solution. Here's my setup and general information on getting USB to work native with my USCutter Plotter.

Step 1: Download and Install Drivers

Make sure your plotter is unplugged and Signcut X2 is closed. The most recent drivers for the FTDI Chip that's on your plotter are located here:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

The current Intel Mac version is 2.2.14, and these are the drivers I'm currently using. Download and install these, then restart your computer.

Step 2: Plotter Setup

Once your computer comes back up open up Signcut X2 and navigate to your 'Cutter' menu to set up your plotter. Set your plotter as Roland PNC-1000. Below is a screen shot of my plotter setup window:

plotterSettings.jpg

You'll want to make sure your settings, check boxes, drop downs, etc look exactly like what I have above. Close this window. That's it, you should be up and running. Do a test cut and your plotter should come to life. As a heads up, I'm no tech support person, I'm just trying to consolidate all of the information I've pieced together through the many many many threads in this subforum. If anybody sees anything that could be added or changed, let me know.

Thanks and good luck!

My version of signcut had the Refine MH-871 option on there and worked better than the roland driver. Listed it right away on the usb options too, not sure why others dont see it listed on their macs.

I did this and it is working mostly great but it keeps reverting the vinyl size back to 18.5" when it can take a 30" roll- how do I trick signcut into accepting a 30" roll?

Is this the best software to use on Mac? I been using SignBlazer on my PC laptop, wish they had for MAC though.

Didn't Signcut come with your cutter for a year FREE?  If so, that is all you have to use, unless you purchase another cutting software that you own, instead of a subscription.  Signblazer is no longer in business, and hasn't been for awhile,  thus  no updates for it. 

I have loaded the driver. When I go to set up my port I have nothing USB only bluetooth etc. Please help.

im having the same problem. /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync is the only output device option in my drop down box other than, write to file and TCP/IP