Sign in to follow this  
Guest Triple2Graphix

First Sponsored Race Car!

Guest Triple2Graphix

I'll post some pics of it tomorrow, have been at it all day cutting and weeding. Doing it for the price of the vinyl which isn't much. Plus the opening of the new dirt oval track in my area and there's going to be alot of people there, i', putting two kind big logos on the sides of his car too.

I hope this pics up, i just wanna see my stuff out there.

I just picked up the sponsorship for a local race car this week too!! I am cutting his numbers this week. I told him $5 per door. And he said I could put the biggest logo I wanted on his hood and trunk so Im getting some prime space!

I look forward to seeing what you have done. Maybe I can get some ideas!!

I just picked up the sponsorship for a local race car this week too!! I am cutting his numbers this week. I told him $5 per door. And he said I could put the biggest logo I wanted on his hood and trunk so Im getting some prime space!

Dude are you serious, $5 per door?:huh:  i Charge $50 for a number set and THATS cheap!!

Guest Triple2Graphix

Dude are you serious, $5 per door?:huh:   i Charge $50 for a number set and THATS cheap!!

I am doing three numbers at 18x25, some pretty good sized logos, a bunch of lettering, my logos at a pretty good size and a few other things for $50.

Dude are you serious, $5 per door?:huh:   i Charge $50 for a number set and THATS cheap!!

I am doing three numbers at 18x25, some pretty good sized logos, a bunch of lettering, my logos at a pretty good size and a few other things for $50.

Holy low ball to bigfoot and the last post  :o

You guys really need to get a good value out of your services. Hobby or business it does not matter.

I don't care if they want to put my logo on their car or not, that's a customer game IMO. You are in no way going to get any business from it most of the time, they just want you to do that to get the price down for ad space.

Guest fivestar

Dude are you serious, $5 per door?:huh:   i Charge $50 for a number set and THATS cheap!!

I hope you're only doing this for a friend or something, becuase that's way too cheap.  How do you expect to make any $$$$$ doing them at that price?

I plan on getting referral business from him and alot of people at the track after this. I told him for any other car I would charge $50 per door for numbers. and that I would only "sponsor" his car.  He said other places were charging $100 per door to do numbers for them and that I could make ready to apply numbers and sell them like hotcakes for $50 per door. and have the guys apply their own.

I am also going to make up a few quick beer mugs for him to show around and sell others to the guys at the track for $15 ea.

Its some cheap advertising for me. He is applying the decals himself so all I have is a few dollars of vinyl and about 30 minutes of time in this.

but being a new company in a large metropolitan area this will help get the word out pretty nice as this race draws at least 50 cars per race.

I plan on getting referral business from him and alot of people at the track after this. I told him for any other car I would charge $50 per door for numbers. and that I would only "sponsor" his car.  He said other places were charging $100 per door to do numbers for them and that I could make ready to apply numbers and sell them like hotcakes for $50 per door. and have the guys apply their own.

I am also going to make up a few quick beer mugs for him to show around and sell others to the guys at the track for $15 ea.

Its some cheap advertising for me. He is applying the decals himself so all I have is a few dollars of vinyl and about 30 minutes of time in this.

but being a new company in a large metropolitan area this will help get the word out pretty nice as this race draws at least 50 cars per race.

I agree with you man, thats what I did when I started. I did a couple of job completely free in order to get out there, so don't listen to people that saying your lowballing, cuz your not your trying to get out there in order to make the big bucks... Like my granny says you got to loose some in order to win some...

Guest Triple2Graphix

I have a good mind to work a business. I first started with an ATV Shop repairing anything with a small gas powered engine for the price of parts + $10 an hour for labor. Most dealers will charge $50 to $75 an hour for labor to repair something and take 16 hours doing it just to get your money.

I cut everything yesterday and last night for $50 as a sponsorship and there was only around $30 of vinyl used so i am still making $20 off it. He is a long time friend from SIM Racing but that isn't why. My logos going on the car are 18x10 and is yellow on a black car so it will stand out a lot and this being a new track, it is going to be packed with racers and fans because of who is running it.

Since i am putting my own touch into everything and it is all custom work, the price will go up but it will be affordable and cheaper than any where else close to my area. I was charged $75 for three numbers to be cut on vinyl (this was befor i got my cutter). I drew the numbers and everything my self (sizing and all), all she had to do was cut them out and still charged $75 for about $10 worth of vinyl.

I am trying to give the local racers affordable prices so they won't have to pay a big price for their cars to get done and so they will have money left to race on.

This discussion can go on forever but i will say

You need to get out of the mindset that "oh it's just $X in vinyl", that does not matter. You think other companies are charging you just a hair over what materials are? No, that's not how you make money.

When i first started i had no idea about pricing either but i researched alot and still charged a fair price to make money. In my opinion if you charge super cheap prices now, it's going to be hard to be known for anything other than "the cheap guy" and when you want to raise your prices down the road to make money, it's going to be hard.

Putting my logo on someones vehicle is totally up to them, I'm not going to push it because you are more than likely never going to see more business from just doing that though. Maybe a few jobs but it never works out like you think.

I'm really trying to help you all out but i guess this is "tough love" as you would call it.

Guest round2racing

Honestly, I hope neither of you are in my area.

I race at a local track and do graphics.

My car is my billboard.

I have gotten so much business, but I charge market price.

I don't lowball other business around.

You just don't do that.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone here, but I dont appreciate the bashing about offering to help somone out in exchange for them helping me out. What I am doing is basicly bartering my service for his advertising service. I'm sure Tripple2 feels the same way.

I am new to the sign business and luckily I dont have alot of overhead right now and have sold enough to pay for my cutter already. If anyone would like to speak to me about my deal I have done please do it via PM. I don't want to use up Tripple2's post about his deal anymore.

Guest Triple2Graphix

Thanks BigFoot.

I will tell you other guy's this one more time too, no i am not trying to get at you but i don't care if i don't make any profit off of what i do. I only want to see my work on race cars, yeah i will do windows and stuff but i would rather see 90% of my work done on race cars. For 7 years i have been wanting to do this and now finally get to. Regardless if the cutter pays itself off or not, i will continue cutting at an extreme low until i can actually open a store front shop or even a garage.

I get what you all are saying and i know what i am doing. I am working with the little fish that has no sponsors and really can't afford much and is more than likely to run up front sooner or later. Doing the stickers for them is saving them pocket money in return for some advertisement to help me get started.

Once i get a store front or garage, the prices will go up but i will keep that same extreme low for those that i intend to sponsor as of now which is only going to be around 8 cars total that races at three different tracks in the area.

Triple2Graphix,

I agree with you 100%. Do what your heart tells you to do. That kid is going to be so happy, he'll tell everyone he knows about you. You'll make money, no worries there.

Now, let's see the pics!

Guest Triple2Graphix

After waiting for him all day, i just found out that the whole surrounding area he is in got flooded out this morning so it might be next week befor we get to stick them on the car.  :-

That stinks Tripple2. hopefully everything dry's out soon for ya. I know its been raining all week here. I'm looking forward to some dry days

Guest Triple2Graphix

I know Georgia is flooded and last night Martin, Ky was flooded, it has been poring the rain here all day today too. Wasn't but a couple months ago that Jackson, Ky had a real bad flood that started the same way. I live in Jackson and thank god i live in the higher part.

Guest Triple2Graphix

Car won't get done till the middle of this week or this weekend. He lives around 80 miles from me and it is still raining in both areas.

Guest Triple2Graphix

Or better yet, i just wasted four rolls of vinyl for nothing because he painted some crappy numbers and stuff on the car. When he is ready to apologize, he can save a waste of breath and this Saturday at the races, he might wanna park on the other end of the pits.

Guest Triple2Graphix

I wont physically touch anyone unless they take that first swing. But if he does happen to be at the new local track to race, he will feel unwanted and like i said, he better park at the other end of the pits (the main back). I don't care to let the words fly and they will fly fly fly if he comes near us.

After i am done with these two designs i am working on right now ( i am not going to cut until i see money for one - other is for myself ), i am going to start a policy stating that if i am not paid half of what you are getting done, then your not getting anything done. You pay half in advance, i will do the work for the other half of the money. I know i should have started it like that but i didn't think i was going to get my butt ripped apart doing graphics. I am the poorest of the poor, i barley can afford a mountain dew and since those four rolls of vinyl was wasted for stuff with his familys names on it, there is no way i can sell it. SOOO i have learned my lesson.

Oh well, atleast i did learn something from it :thumbsup:

Yea a good 50% deposit will weed out the non serious buyers. I will probably implement something like that. Any order over $30 will require a 50% deposit and the rest due upon delivery.