nonabelle

magic jack

I have one, same as the old free phone years ago nothing new really, They don't work good unless you have high speed internet. I operate mine on Verizon USB 760 air card and it does OK in hot spots in city with laptop.

I've had one for over a year..love it! You can';t beat the price..unlimited calls anywhere in the US for $19.95 a year. Remember..it goes through your computer so when the computer is off, it doesn't work. I just set up a cheap computer and leave it on 24/7.

There are a lot of poeple who give it bad reviews but in almost every case, it was user error, or people expecting it to do more than it advertises.

Mine paid for itself the first week..almost everybody I call is long-distance. The best part is, you can take it from computer to computer,even when you travel. Your info is stored in the thing itself.

I've had one for over a year..love it! You can';t beat the price..unlimited calls anywhere in the US for $19.95 a year. Remember..it goes through your computer so when the computer is off, it doesn't work. I just set up a cheap computer and leave it on 24/7.

There are a lot of poeple who give it bad reviews but in almost every case, it was user error, or people expecting it to do more than it advertises.

Mine paid for itself the first week..almost everybody I call is long-distance. The best part is, you can take it from computer to computer,even when you travel. Your info is stored in the thing itself.

thanks for your input,  I have been considering 1 myself.  You gave alot of great info there. 

One more thing..if you get it, be SURE to complete the registration with your address or 911 won't work right.

lol, thanks everybody for ur honest input. banner, u know i trust ur judgement 100%. my hubby wants to get rid of our comcast phone because we all have cellphone. he actually wants to purchase two. one for the home number and one for fax.

thanks again :thumbsup:

I was thinking of getting one for a fax number also

i can't stand that people still use fax. email email email. why can't people keep up with technology?? i quit dealing with people that can't email me

you must have to much money if you wont deal with a customer that faxes!

+1

not only for customers but for vendors also. personal business, etc

a couple of his friends that own businesses have them and love em i mean they swear by them. and he was so amazed at the call quality of them. they have store fronts and save a lot of money on phone and fax service along. u know they charge commercial building vendors more on phone and fax services.

Guest fivestar

u know they charge commercial building vendors more on phone and fax services.

Yes they sure do.

Hi Nona, I have one but haven't really used it yet because I thought I could port my current home number to it. They eventually will be able to do that and I use that number as my fax. I only need it for vendors so I don't want to cancel that just yet. I was told, however, that magic jack is hit or miss with fax at the moment. They don't state it will work for that purpose.

Missed this thread.

I just bought one of these 4 days ago, havent installed it yet.

My thought was a cheap business number to give out on a website or for those freebie samples.

My concern was and the reason I haven't installed it yet was will it disrupt the vinyl cutter if your using it on the same computer as your cutter is on?

I'd like to install it on the computer I just setup for the cutter.

NO room in the house for another seperate computer just for it.

So has it disrupted anyones cuts while cutting and the majic jack started ringing?

Hi Nona, I have one but haven't really used it yet because I thought I could port my current home number to it. They eventually will be able to do that and I use that number as my fax. I only need it for vendors so I don't want to cancel that just yet. I was told, however, that magic jack is hit or miss with fax at the moment. They don't state it will work for that purpose.

YOu have to play with the settings on the fax machine.

I have been told by both Charter and Comcast that you can't use a Fax machine on their internet phone service either..but I know people that do.

Myself, I subscribe to an internet fax service that converts and sends me an email with a pdf. I have my own fax number..people send to it, and I get an email. Simple as pie.

Thanks John, that may be a good alternative. I wish they all jus came as an email anyways. Using that service doesn't allow me to get rid of that line but DOES at least send as a email. I also heard if you mess with the fax machines settings it's hit or miss with working on Magic Jack. Since I can't port my number to it yet I just haven't messed with it. Hopefully, they will soon have that option then I cancel the phone line.

Guest sciondrgn

I use the Email Fax as well but I have Skype for phone. ,  Its a little more expensive but works great,

I have a cordless phone that just plugs into my router, I do not have to have my PC on for it to work. It's cordless and I can take anywhere in the house. And I love not having to have the PC on all the time.

I have had Skype for 2 years..couldn't do without it! Do you have a special phone that just plugs into the router? I'd love to get one.

Guest sciondrgn

I have had Skype for 2 years..couldn't do without it! Do you have a special phone that just plugs into the router? I'd love to get one.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-VOIP841-PC-Free-Wireless-Phone/dp/B000ND75FW/ref=pd_sim_e_2

This is what i have, I got it used on ebay a while back for about $140.. It works on both LandLine and VOIP. You just plug it in the router and set it up.. I love it since you dont have to keep your PC running to use it.. They also have some WIFI based handsets which are cheaper,

http://cgi.ebay.com/NETGEAR-SPH200W-Wireless-WiFi-Phone-With-Skype_W0QQitemZ370261955128QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5635551238&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I had thought about going for a Wifi One to so I can take it with me and carry the number if im staying in a hotel or what not just like a cell phone but havent found the need for it,

Skype for me with a number, all features and voice mail is about $56 a year for unlimited Local and LD to US and Canada

:thumbsup:

you must have to much money if you wont deal with a customer that faxes!

customers or vendors. you have no idea what a headache a fax is until you try doing an hvac bid on multi-million dollar project. on bid day you have vendors trying to send you quotes at the last minute, fax lines tied up, and updated specs sometimes 100+ pages coming through. you know what that does for paper cost, toner cost for the copier the fax line comes to and just the problem of dealing with boxes of paper? if it was a few a day, no problem. but reams of paper a day would change your mind :thumbsup: email it and i can print out a page or two if i need to

my main point is my time is more valuable than anything else.

I have a netgear skype cordless phone I got as a gift from work. If anyone would like it I would sell it for about $80. I can upload photos later. Its still new in the box.

It can use a regular phone line and skype. You can switch between the 2 with the handset. It has caller ID and stuff too

Guest fivestar

I have a netgear skype cordless phone I got as a gift from work. If anyone would like it I would sell it for about $80. I can upload photos later. Its still new in the box.

It can use a regular phone line and skype. You can switch between the 2 with the handset. It has caller ID and stuff too

I'm interested, what's the model number?