Guest kenya

Copam questions

Guest kenya

Received my Copam yesterday..... Thanks Pappy!

WOW.... it's so quiet. I thought my pcut wasn't too loud, until I used the copam.  And it made the test cut beautifully.  :thumbsup:

But wanted to ask a couple of questions.

How long of a USB cable can I use with this machine? After I setup my new shop, I will need to cutter to be about 15' away from my pc. Any known issues with using a rather long USB cable? Or should I just use a long serial cable?

Also, is there a way to turn off the auto measuring in SB until I get use to this cutter?

I'm thinking about going with Flexi.... any suggestions to what version to use with Vista (32bit) & the Copam?

Thanks.... I'm sure I'll have way more questions.  :thumbsup:

Take that USB cable and throw it as far as you can! The Copam is not true USB.

SignBlazer is the best program I have used for the Copam. I have Flexi 8.1 and SignBlazer and I prefer SignBlazer. 

When I first got my Copam, I went out and bought a very long serial cable (my cutter is over 15' away from my computer) and it works great!  Never did try usb with it.  I am using Vista with FlexiStarter 8.5 (using the DGI OM-60 driver) without issues.

wish I could use the serial port but the laptop doent have one! running an old computer with xp and a serial port cable just for the cutter.

Can't help you with the questions Vette but I am sure you are excited and just wanted to wish you luck with the new cutter....

Guest kenya

Can't help you with the questions Vette but I am sure you are excited and just wanted to wish you luck with the new cutter....

Thanks Bill...... yes, I'm so excited !!!!

And thanks for all the input to my questions to those who answered.  :thumbsup:

I'm sure there will be alot more, until I get used to this cutter.

I run Serial to USB and have no problems with it. I may have about 15 to 20 feet of cable. I also run FlexiStarter 8.6v with Contour Cutting. I am ery pleased with this program on my Graphtec FC8000 but the Copam has trouble doing the contour cutting. The good thing is Flexi allows you to choose with or without laser registration mark reading. This allows any cutter to make a contour cut. However, there isn't a true driver for the Copam but the DGI-OM60 does work. Consequently I have not succeeded contour cutting with the Copam as of yet. Morefore, if anyone has contour cut with the Copam, please let me know.

I run Serial to USB and have no problems with it. I may have about 15 to 20 feet of cable. I also run FlexiStarter 8.6v with Contour Cutting. I am ery pleased with this program on my Graphtec FC8000 but the Copam has trouble doing the contour cutting. The good thing is Flexi allows you to choose with or without laser registration mark reading. This allows any cutter to make a contour cut. However, there isn't a true driver for the Copam but the DGI-OM60 does work. Consequently I have not succeeded contour cutting with the Copam as of yet. Morefore, if anyone has contour cut with the Copam, please let me know.

can you explain how to use the Flexistarter 8.6 contour cutting,,  I have tried to read the instructions,  but just don't understand it.. please help

It will be easy of the Graphtec. First import or create a image you want to contour cut. Next select your image and click on Effect, Design Central should come up with setting options, like: Contour, Ellipse and Rectangle, choose your desire. You also have Offset values, with holes or without, stoke value, and color contour. Once you make all your selections, click the check icon, click off your design and then click it again. Next you will click Effect again and click Contour Cut Marks. Another dialog box will come up in Design Central. You can select 4 points or Graphtec Type 2, the Graphtec will read both just fine. As a beginner with this to show that it works, select 4 points. After selecting 4 points you will see four crosshairs with numbers. Click your check mark again...then click on a blank area and reselect your object. Now you are going to send to your printer. After it prints, place paper into the plotter. Your next icon would be the Contour cut icon next to the Cut icon; select that. Once the Production Manager appear, go ahead and select send....another panel box will appear saying Alignment. In this box, you have two choices... Interactive Alignment and Digitize Alignment, select Digitize alignment (Digitize alignment allows the Graphtec or any other ARMS or OPOS reading plotter to use its laser to identify the reg. marks [where as Interactive alignment is for nonlaser plotters, it is done manually by moving the plotter head mark by mark]) . Move the plotter blade or pen to the first crosshair ( Do not press Origin on the plotter), follow the instructions on the next boxs that opens, they will guide you from there. But do not press Origin on the plotter, only Okay in the software. Let me know how you come out? Goodluck and may the Force be with you! :huh:

I would highly recommend using a serial cable if you are going to be 15' away from your computer. The usb signal can degrade over distances that far, the serial will not.

The Copam will not contour cut out of FlexiStarter 8.6v Contour Cutting. I don't think you can contour cut with the Copam at all.The software allows you to do it manually, since the plotter doesn't have a laser sight. I have tried several methods and none prevailed. I know that the software works because I did it manually on the Graphtec FC8000 without using the laser to find reg marks. For some reason the drivers for the Copam, DMG 60, or any other driver that will run this plotter isn't compatible or the Copam is compatible with the drivers. Has anyone succeeded with contour cutting with the Copam?

Guest kenya

The Copam will not contour cut out of FlexiStarter 8.6v Contour Cutting. I don't think you can contour cut with the Copam at all.The software allows you to do it manually, since the plotter doesn't have a laser sight. I have tried several methods and none prevailed. I know that the software works because I did it manually on the Graphtec FC8000 without using the laser to find reg marks. For some reason the drivers for the Copam, DMG 60, or any other driver that will run this plotter isn't compatible or the Copam is compatible with the drivers. Has anyone succeeded with contour cutting with the Copam?

Bumping this question. 

I betcha Jay could do it in SIgnBlazer  ;D . Make a larger outline :thumbsup:

Im having problems installing my copam 3500. I switched to vista and cant find the ports in device manager. I downloaded the driver and have had the software and plotter hooked up to different cpus but with xp and never vista. Any help with getting this figured out would be a great help i just took over a tattoo buisness and really need to get the stickers done for my shop and customers. Thanks

"D"

Don't panic! Just hate Vista! Are you USB or Serial, first off? Next, go into your Control Manager/Device manager/Ports. Right click and select update. Now sometimes the you have to unplug and replug your connection cable to see any change in the port setting. Also go to the USB tabs in the device manager to check for Serial to USB converter. Right click and update as well. Hit me back if you have issues. 

Please don't spam your question in 6 different places on the forum it is very rude.

Have you submitted a support ticket with uscutter?

Have you tried turning the cutter on and connected before opening your cutting software?

What cutting software are you using?