cbauer50

What a mess! Look at this picture

Okay - I was pretty happy that I was able to cut out something pretty decent over the weekend with my Creation PCut.

I had bought a role of vinyl at Crafts Direct (a huge craft store in our area).  It is call "Quic Kutz" and they sell it for the Cricut, Craft Robo, Silhouette machines.

I tried cutting out a stick figure.  First I did the test rectangle and it came out perfect (see image).  So I proceeded to cut the stick figure.  Look at the mess. 

Why would it cut out a test rectangle prefect but cut completely through the backing on the real thing?  It chewed it up pretty bad.  I didn't know if I can turn of the machine while it's cutting, so just held my breath until it was done.  Can I turn the machine off in the middle of a cutting job?

I had to increase the pressure to 125 to get the good test cut, but it looks like it is too much.

Also - I'm still confused about the button on the machine for the down/up arrow for the blade.  Does it just lower the whole blade holder - or how does that actually work.

I am beginning to think I maybe should have just bought a craft robo to start with.

Anyone looking for a good deal on a Creation PCut, let me know.

CB

post-6089-12986544410792_thumb.jpg

post-6089-12986544411053_thumb.jpg

post-6089-12986544425585_thumb.jpg

post-6089-12986544425724_thumb.jpg

Guest manwayvan

Wow..Looks like you may have something layered behind it causing it to cut multiple passes. and possibly the pressure/blade needs to be adjusted..What software are you using to cut with and if you can post the file I will check to make sure it is not a layer. Also adjust your blade pressure to around 90 to 95 and see if that helps..As that is where mine is and have had no issues so far. Not sure on that type of vinyl but you may have to adjust your blade depth as you can see it is cutting all the way through the backing.

Okay - I was pretty happy that I was able to cut out something pretty decent over the weekend with my Creation PCut.

I had bought a role of vinyl at Crafts Direct (a huge craft store in our area).  It is call "Quic Kutz" and they sell it for the Cricut, Craft Robo, Silhouette machines.

I tried cutting out a stick figure.  First I did the test rectangle and it came out perfect (see image).  So I proceeded to cut the stick figure.  Look at the mess. 

Why would it cut out a test rectangle prefect but cut completely through the backing on the real thing?  It chewed it up pretty bad.  I didn't know if I can turn of the machine while it's cutting, so just held my breath until it was done.  Can I turn the machine off in the middle of a cutting job?

I had to increase the pressure to 125 to get the good test cut, but it looks like it is too much.

Also - I'm still confused about the button on the machine for the down/up arrow for the blade.  Does it just lower the whole blade holder - or how does that actually work.

I am beginning to think I maybe should have just bought a craft robo to start with.

Anyone looking for a good deal on a Creation PCut, let me know.

CB

you really don't want to sell your machine,,,,  you will probably have the same problems with a different machine.  you just need to learn it and get some different vinyl.  Take a big breath,  it seems  overwhelming at first.  but you will be fine..    At least you got it to cut.... some people can't get that far...

Use the half of a credit card rule for adjusting the depth of your blade. I actually get out a credit card and hold the tip of the blade up to it to adjust it. Your blade is out so far it is cutting clear through the paper backing an all. once you get the depth correct then you can adjust your pressure to compensate for areas where it gets too deep or doesn't cut through correctly.

Kevin

Wow..Looks like you may have something layered behind it causing it to cut multiple passes. and possibly the pressure/blade needs to be adjusted..What software are you using to cut with and if you can post the file I will check to make sure it is not a layer. Also adjust your blade pressure to around 90 to 95 and see if that helps..As that is where mine is and have had no issues so far. Not sure on that type of vinyl but you may have to adjust your blade depth as you can see it is cutting all the way through the backing.

Yea, that makes since about multiple passes if the test cut went well and yet the file did not.    Post the file and let some of these smart people take a look.

Denny

even with multiple passes/layers. if your blade depth is correct it's not gonna hack the paper up that bad. it may cut through in a few places, but shouldn't be that severe.

Kevin

Guest manwayvan

Well what got me is if you look at the eyes and the mouth it appears to not have cut through and just scored like it should

Again, may have multiple images on top of some of the image....  Can you post the image?

Denny

Or at least it could rule that out as an issue.

I cut the same file out on the BGS vinyl and it cut okay.  Actually, I don't think it cute it deep enough on the BGS vinly though as I have a harder time weeding it than what I think it should be (according to the videos I've watched on youtube).  Once I can get it started, it peels away easily, but I have a hard time getting it started.  I've tried a dental pick and also an exacto knife.

I am using Signblazer.

I really don't want to post the file because it is copyrighted, but would be willing to send it to someone privately to check it.

CB

Use the half of a credit card rule for adjusting the depth of your blade. I actually get out a credit card and hold the tip of the blade up to it to adjust it. Your blade is out so far it is cutting clear through the paper backing an all. once you get the depth correct then you can adjust your pressure to compensate for areas where it gets too deep or doesn't cut through correctly.

Kevin

Here's an image of my blade.  I guess it's out too far, because it's sure not 1/2 of credit card.  So if it should be 1/2 credit card depth, then it would barely be sticking out. 

CB

post-6089-12986544411982_thumb.jpg

post-6089-12986544426363_thumb.jpg

Guest sciondrgn

Yup that blade is way to far out.. Go for the 1/2 the width of a credit card and you should be more inline.. One thing you will need to adjust for is different vinyl. They pretty much all have a difference in thickness to them so what works for one may not another so you will need to adjust blade depth and pressure something when going from one vinyl to another

I cut the same file out on the BGS vinyl and it cut okay.  Actually, I don't think it cute it deep enough on the BGS vinly though as I have a harder time weeding it than what I think it should be (according to the videos I've watched on youtube).  Once I can get it started, it peels away easily, but I have a hard time getting it started.  I've tried a dental pick and also an exacto knife.

I am using Signblazer.

I really don't want to post the file because it is copyrighted, but would be willing to send it to someone privately to check it.

CB

actually the BGS vinyl is great for practice vinyl, and throw it away.  but that is about it,,  you need to get a better quality vinyl, it you are going to sell it.

<<actually the BGS vinyl is great for practice vinyl, and throw it away.  but that is about it,,  you need to get a better quality vinyl, it you are going to sell it. >>

I am a far way from even thinking about selling anything!  LOL  I don't like the BGS I bought (sampler package) anyway - I don't care for the shiny vinyl.

Actually, like I said before, I should have just bought a craft robo - my intentions really aren't to sell anything - it's more for personal/fun use.

Carol

Guest sciondrgn

<<actually the BGS vinyl is great for practice vinyl, and throw it away.  but that is about it,,   you need to get a better quality vinyl, it you are going to sell it. >>

I am a far way from even thinking about selling anything!  LOL  I don't like the BGS I bought (sampler package) anyway - I don't care for the shiny vinyl.

Actually, like I said before, I should have just bought a craft robo - my intentions really aren't to sell anything - it's more for personal/fun use.

Carol

That's how I started as well but you will be glad you got a larger cutter.. I'm always finding things to do :thumbsup: 

Guest fivestar

Post the file and let someone else take a look at it.

<<actually the BGS vinyl is great for practice vinyl, and throw it away.  but that is about it,,   you need to get a better quality vinyl, it you are going to sell it. >>

I am a far way from even thinking about selling anything!  LOL  I don't like the BGS I bought (sampler package) anyway - I don't care for the shiny vinyl.

Carol

I totally agree,, all kinds of ideas will pop in your mind...   and you will be glad to have the larger cutter.  

That's how I started as well but you will be glad you got a larger cutter.. I'm always finding things to do :thumbsup:  

Guest manwayvan

If you are looking for cheap vinyl that stands up great to the rest check out shinerite..I have used oracal 651 and I love shinerite just the same. The only diff I can tell is on white oracal is easier to weed but not enough easier to justify the price. Glad you got it figured out

Update on my mess.

I readjusted my blade and printed out "test" in a font about 2" high on the BGS vinyl (that's the only vinyl I have besides the 2 rolls of QuicKutz I bought at the craft store).

I had to lower my pressure to about 70 and was able to make a nice cut.  70 seems so low.  (I had it at 110 before I adjusted my blade - for the BGS). 

I then put in the QuicKutz and cut the same "test" file.  It cut through the vinyl.  This is a lot thinner than the BGS stuff.  I think it's more for the scrapbook people.

I lowered the pressure to 60 and was able to cut without it cutting all the way through, but it didn't do a clean cut.  A lot of the letters had little areas where when I pulled off the excess, it pulled the letter up also.  So I guess I can't use this vinyl with my cutter.  I kept increasing the pressure 1 or 2 at a time and it kept doing the same thing (pulling the letters up along with the excess).  By the time I was able to get a clean cut, it was at the point where it was starting to cut through the backing.

Just wanted to update my dilemma.

Thanks for all the help.

CB

I have always had a problem cutting anything that has any detail to it on cheap <BGS or other> vinyl. it does just what you say, cuts fine in some areas and not so fine in others, pulls up the corners of any details etc.  I think it's mainly that the stuff isn't as true to standards as others. I rarely have a problem with non cutting areas on Oracal stuff. and yes good vinyl is thinner, by a mile sometimes. Once your used to working with it, you will never go back to cheap. I still have the same 12 roll pack you probably bought. Once in a while I will pull a chunk of it out to do a freebie for someone. About half way into it, I chuck it into the trash and pull out the good stuff. It costs me more in time to jack with the problems than it does the cost of decent vinyl.

No, once you get the hang of adjusting your blade to compensate for the difference in vinyl, you will be much more adept and using just about any product, but it will then come down to how easy the material is to work with. You will prefer one brand over another, everyone does. I like Oracal, I have tried Avery, Gerber(LOOOVE this, but costs too darn much), Oracal, BGS, Shinerite and one other I can't remember the name of, starts with an A. I stick with Oracal, just cause I like it.

Depth, Pressure and good graphics, are the three things that once you figure out will make you a good vinyl cutter/sign maker. I am still working on all those and more :-)

Kevin

One thing I am still confused about is the up/down button on the machine for the blade.

When would I use that - instead of adjusting the pressure?  Does it lower/raise the blade holder?

Can someone explain this to me.

Thanks.

CB

Guest manwayvan

The up down arrows are for adjusting your cutter head to set you corner origin. Not sure about raising and lowering the head with buttons, I never had to do it before but I just use the arrows for adjusting start point

I guess I didn't call it the right thing.  It's called the knife up/knife down arrow keys.

See image below.  #'s 2 & 3

I don't understand what these 2 actually do.

Thanks.

CB

post-6089-12986544460889_thumb.jpg

post-6089-12986544474589_thumb.jpg

Guest manwayvan

Wow good question I have never used them before..May its to check placement of blade on vinyl or possibly pressure..Not sure I will practice with it and see what I can figure out