Sign in to follow this  
mikekelley

Illustrator files from signcut are cutting twice

So I just made the switch from Artcut 2005 (ohmygod) to SignCut with illustrator, which I thought would be a good move. All of my text works wonderfully and cuts fine, but whenever I import an image into illustrator and live trace it, then export to sign cut, the machine (Refine MH1351) will cut the whole thing once and then go back to the beginning and start cutting it again. This, as you can imagine, is super frustrating because I have used the cutter for years with a crappy program like artcut with no ill-effects whatsoever. If I do text in illustrator and create an outline then export and cut, it works perfect, but non-text is just a big no-no, so I can't do any logos, etc.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated..

Results like you describe are generally caused by having both a fill and an outline in the original artwork or having images on top of each other. To check select the image and see if there is a fill color assigned to the outline and the fill.

If you were to upload a faile we would be happy to take a look and possibly prepare a video tutorial showing how to correct the image.

I don't believe that there is a fill or color assigned to the outline. I've attached the file that I'm trying to trace and cut.

Thanks for the help thus far!

post-3489-12986544404651_thumb.jpg

post-3489-12986544420667_thumb.jpg

I have run into this issue with illustrator files alot in the past. Like Kimon said, the way illustrator does the fill & outline causes it alot of times. After you trace the image, ungroup or break it apart. click on one of the small holes in the design and see if you can drag it away. or just select the small section and hit delete. that will tell you if you have duplicate lines. What also may be causing the 2 lines is if the trace is doing both the red and white trace. Since they touch each other this would cause a double shape. I haven't used illustrator in a while so i don't know if you can specify to just trace 1 color(red) or not. can you upload the .ai or .eps file that is producing the double cut?