Cannot open the output device                        Failure initalizing cutter.

NOW WHAT?

Blazer comm 4.  baud 9600 etc etc.        Win XP                                        H            E                L              P  !    !    !    !  !

1.try switching to another com port in the signblazer settings. I tried 3 before I got the right one.

2.Make sure you have the right cutter selected in setup

3.Make sure cutter is ONLINE

4.Call Ken if that doesn't work.Or,PM him and ask him to call you.

I have also had cases recently where I had to change the COM port the USB installed to to make it work.

Ken, Hope you read this before sending parts.

I opened up the bottom and while everything looks intact I noticed all the connections were hot glued to the board. I don't think I'll feell comfortable changing parts so I am sending this unit back and with all the enclosed stuff and you can just send out another one or refund my purchase as this unit was obiously flawed from the start.

If you sent parts I will send them back as well. Thanks.

so it wasn't a bad usb cable after all? It helps when you post all of the facts so others can benefit from what you find out.

It was a bad USB cable..... That solved communication with the computer.    There were other problems with this unit.

so share with us so others with similar problems can use your experience to troubleshoot their own units.

The machine does not work. What do you want me to share. I got it home, unpacked it and it doesn't work. First it wouldn't respond to the computer with the supplied cable. Once I replaced that it would accept the fact I had somethinng to cut but wouldn't cut. Get it? It doesn't work. I spent the afternoon on the phone with Ken who  checked that everything I did was correct and  agreed that there  wa something defectives. He simpothised that I felt it  unfair for me to have to pay to ship back something that I bought new that doesn't work. ( oh yeah the cutter thing wont go up and down)  Unfortunately that wasn't his department and he couldn't change ploicy. So he was going to send parts. I unscrewed the bottom ( at Ken's suggestion)and when I saw everything hot glued in place I decided that I will be shipping this DEFECTIVE unit nback as I don't want to tackle doing the repairs. Which now means I'll have more $$ into this cutter  and wondering   maybe I should  have bought the slighty more expensive competitors model)

This unit was replacing a Roland Dr. Sticka that had given me over 10 years of trouble free service. I just wanted to go bigger.

Now all of this has been covered with Ken including the fact that A $60. is alot to ship this and  @ $60 I should have gotten it quicker.

I don't know what your position with the company  is but since you needed me to share  I thought I'd add that. Furthermore I don't feel I should be paying to return defective merchandise. I realize this is an inexpensive cutter but it is defective and that should merit some good faith from a company that sells so many.

I hope  my sharing has made some of the others with problems feel a little less alone.

So if you haven't sent any parts don't,  your getting this unit back. If you did I'll return them to you. ( at my expense, of course!)

Let me begin by saying that I understand you are angry,and frustrated. But taking out that anger with an attitude isn't gonna win any friends here. Where you got the idea that I work for US cutter,I have no idea.

I don't work for US cutter. IN fact, I've only spoken to Ken once on the phone. However,through these forums,on the phone,through email,and IM,I have helped dozens of people get their cutters up and running.I even sent a replacement part to CANada at my own expense once(for which I didn't even get a 'thank you')I don't get paid a dime for the hours I spend on here helping people,while running a full-time business with a disability that would keep most people in bed.

I suppose there are occasional totally bad units,though it is usually just a simple fix that almost anyone can do,with the correct parts. The most common problem seems to be the carraige,which is easily replaced.

Depending on where you live, shipping can take anywhere from 1-5 days(That's business days.UPS and FEDeX don't move on weekends). I can't even ship a 2lb package to Washington State from here in less than 4.

I realize that sometimes people get frustrated. I've bought much more expensive items than your cutter that were DOA right out of the box. Things with sensative electronic parts don't take too well to being bounced around in the back of trucks and tossed around by UPS workers. I do agree with you that if a unit is DOA,you should not have to pay return postage. That is why US cutter offers to send parts for repair instead of having you return the unit like MOST dealers do.

As for support...well, you bought from the only seller on ebay that offers support beyond the very basics. Believe me,my first cutter was NOT from US cutter,and I spent 20 minutes (at my expense ) on the phone trying to explain to some Chinese guy who barely understood English that all I wanted to know was how to adjust the pinch roller pressure. I finally just hung up.

One thing that I have to say...you aren't gonna find a local repair shop if something goes wrong down the line...so unless you want to pay round trip shipping to Redmond every time you have a problem,I suggest you learn how to replace a few simple parts. Just for the future.

Also,I think if you need help in future,you adopt a friendlier manner when asking. There are many on this board who could have helped you after your first post,but notice that only Ken and myself made an attempt. It's Ken's job, but its not mine. I just try and help. The purpose of forums is for all to share and help each other.

I hope when your new cutter arrives,you get it up and running with no problems,and everything works out well for you. Meanwhile,try out a few of the other sign maker forums. Most of the people there will either insult you,laugh at you,or ignore you altogether. THESE forums,that doesn't happen. Long-time pro sign people do NOT usually try and help others. In fact,they seem to hate it when someone even asks.

By the way..I DO get it... 'it doesn't work' goes a long way in helping solve a problem.

If you want the name of someone on ebay who sells pretty good cutters but offers NO support whatseover,I can provide it.

HI Hard! 

I will share with you that over the years I have been doing business with Gerber, I have a 30 inch, S-750 GSP cutter.  I bought it new in 1995 for $1800.00 dollars.  The 486 computer with the AnAgraph sign software still runs.  Whenever I needed cutter support, the best Gerber could do was either I send the cutter back at my cost, or they would send me the part.  Guess who replaced the parts? yep, me. The drive band broke, several motors broke, several springs, axels and wheels flew off, and I had to do it all. SO.........shipping it back and fourth was not an option for me simply because of cost.

Right after the cutter was replaced with a new model Gerber would no longer offer any customer support other than to refer me to a "repair man."  Well by now I don't need a repair man, because I have taken it apart so many times.  Gerber Scientific Products is a huge company, yet they don't even bother to offer the level of customer support you see here. 

These cutters can be very tempermental at times, believe me I know.  I also know that it is very possiable to get a defective unit.  I do understand your frustration, there were times that the only thing stopping me from tossing my cutter into the middle of the street, was the fact that it was too heavy.  I may yet take a baseball bat to it!

We will do our best to try to help you!!  Keep posting, and keep us informed of your progress, or even the lack of it!  Your thread is interesting, and it is being watched by many people although I believe few will actually respond, because of fear.

I had aired my problem and got great results with Ken. I have no problem with the company. I noticed Ken reads these and when I decided not to try to fix this I wanted to give Ken a heads up if he had not sent the parts. THATS IT!

Then you come in,  Accusing me of posting bad info ( so it wasn't a bad cable and please share) and YOU rattled my feathers, so me thinking youmust be the tech I didn't get and being the company man you are I would tell you what I thinlk.

I don't mind wrenching but new is new and should work.  I don't want to jeapordize any warranty if I tinker with something new.

My last post  was all ATTITUDE on my part and I apologize, but your persona triggered it. I think you joined in too late and not knowing the entire context you should have let the post end as it was over.

So to all you readers and helpers. Sorry and thanks.

There you have it. All the apology this thread is gonna get and now please just let it end.

my point was,when I asked you to share.. was that others who might have the same problem might be able to benefit from your experience,good or bad. WE have no idea what goes on behind the scenes between you and Ken. If you had simply posted that Ken had been unable to help you,the unit was bad..that would have been the end of it.

As for joining in too late..I was the FIRST person to respond to your original post. I didn't suggest trying a new USB cable because I figured you already tried that,if you had read other posts and seen that often is the problem.

Got the heads up, no problem with sending it back. The hot glue is really not an issue though, the cables still pull up fairly easy, and sometimes I use an Xacto knife to cut it before unplugging the cables, just to make it easier. Either way, we need to get you a unit that cuts properly. When we receive the unit, I will make it work as it should, or replace it for you.

:huh:

I believe I just got that mother board.  Do you want I should try iot befor I send the cutter back and if it works ok if not you get every thing back, or would you rather i just ship it all back.

If you feel comfortable trying to replace the part, then I say go for it. It would at least save the money in shipping costs if it works. The choice is ultimately up to you.

;D

RA #3 sent back to same name and return address originally on the box. You had advised that that was the onty address.  According to UPS tracking you all received it on Nov 12. It was signed for by Flynn if that means anything to you.  There is a note inside the box explaining why it was returned. Kevin K.

Got it on my tech bench now, and will give you the results of what I find later today.

I got the cutter to communicate with my computer with Vista and SignBlazer, no problem. I do not hear the fan going however, so I am going to open it up and find out why.