Sign in to follow this  
repodon

sandblasted mirrors and vinyl

Don , That is impressive  :thumbsup: . I know you & others have explained this several times already , but I have to ask again what vinyl you used as a stencil & what air pressure , what media & what nozzle size ?

I was looking at sand blasters in Horrible Freights online catalog this morning . Thanks . Rodger

Guest kenya

I love it Don....... the humming bird is beautiful  :thumbsup:.

roger i use the cheapest vinyl there is

the media is walnut shells crushed

air pressure i think it at 40%

It finally sunk in  :thumbsup: . I have had a hard time thinking the sandblasting would not lift the pointed edges or erode them quickly . The booth at the sign show had the pressure & media so low , I could spray my bare hands & not bother me at all . I know with commercial sandblasters I have used , if you dont have enough air pressure it would not work at all , so I am not sure just turning down the pressure would work with some blasters . The booth at the show had a small pencil type nozzle .

Thanks

i got my pressure at 40 and it works fine for me

as far as the pencil  thing you said about  i would like to get me one as they are good for fine detailing can get them at any craft store mainly they are used for airbrushing if im not mistaken

Guest Schramm

Try black beauty insted of walnut shells, you will be happy you did.  Cuts very nice at 40psi

Schramm , what nozzle do you recomend ?

Thanks ,

Hi,

I,ve heard of soda blasting, so I have 2  questions.

1. Does it use the same equipment and

2. could it be used for this type of work.

thanks.

Soda blasting is used more in restoring. It removed dirt and other things but tends not to etch. The soda tends to "explode" on contact with the surface.

Don , That is impressive  :huh: . I know you & others have explained this several times already , but I have to ask again what vinyl you used as a stencil & what air pressure , what media & what nozzle size ?

I was looking at sand blasters in Horrible Freights online catalog this morning . Thanks . Rodger

uh yeah Don...what he said! LOL!!

Hi Paradox,

Yes I had found that out, anyway many thanks for clarifying it better.

cheers.

creative i use the cheapest vinyl there is and sandblast away but now if i have several items with the same thing on it say example the word creative say the customer wants 10 mirrors or 10 of the same thing i would use a sandblast resist it is like a rubber matting that i put in my cutter and it cuts and i just take like you do normally with vinyl weed it which is very very easy and then peal the backing off it and put it on the item i want to sandblast and blast away and when i am done i put the backing plastic back on and put in the folder for later use

but i use normal cheap vinyl to sandblast 

Hey Don ,

I was wondering about a stencil type material . Thanks for the info . USCutter is selling sandblast stuff now , I'll have to check which vinyl is good for stencil use :huh:

I use Hartco 210 for doing fine shooting and 100 or finer aluminum oxide grit for blasting. The 210 is thin resists burning and sticks really well to glass it allows you to blast the really fine stuff and as far as the grit go if you recover it you can use for quite awhile.