Sign in to follow this  
dgreenh

Vector Magic

i have used it many times it is now on its own site and you get a free bitmap download to get the eps image you have to purchase tokens and use the credits for downloading the eps file and for a limited time the first $50 spent on their site is creditable towards the desktop version when available

ya thats why every one wants to buy the whole thing at a reasonable price.  I bet their price will be ridiculous

Damn greedy money hungry fools!!

Would I pay .25 for an image - sure, .50 OK -- 1.00 If I really needed it --- 2.00 -- only if I was REALLY desperate!

Hello, Inkscape -- time to buckle down and learn how to use this.

Good luck Vector Magic --- when my tokens are gone so am I.

And YES I AM A CHEEP BASTARD!!!! Just ask my wife! 

I've been using Inkscape for almost 2 years now and it usually takes me 1-2 minutes to vectorize an image. I've tried a lot of others and nothing comes close to being as easy. I can't understand why people can't use it. Unless they just don't take the time to learn all that it can do. Sometimes you have to use the 'greys' feature.sometimes the colors feature...sometimes you have to adjust the number of scans...check (or uncheck) 'smooth' or 'stack scans'.

Of course there will always be those who think nothing that is free can be any good. I haven't even opened my copy of Corel or AI in a year. That was a BIG waste of money and time.

I will admit that I have not used Inkscape yet -- been so damn busy I haven't made time to learn it. Now I will be learning it.

The biggest incentive for changing the way you do things is when it hits you in the pocket book!!

At least I didn't buy Corel and AI    :rolleyes:  :o

I will admit that I have not used Inkscape yet -- been so damn busy I haven't made time to learn it. Now I will be learning it.

The biggest incentive for changing the way you do things is when it hits you in the pocket book!!

At least I didn't buy Corel and AI    :rolleyes:  :o

I wish I hadn't either,but when I first started in this, I was dumb enough to listen to the snobs in some of the other sign forums. Then I found this forum.

I use AI for all my tracing.  I would be greatful if someone could post the way it is done in inkscape.  I am not to familiar with the program but I do have it.  Does it keep the color like vectormagic?  meaning more than just black? Thanks for the help.

Guest Terry

Yes I agree with BANNER, he was the one who told me about Inkscape, he said it took longer for him to post the link for me than it did to vectorize a graphic for me... He was right - I been using it ever since.

Guest Terry

I use AI for all my tracing.  I would be greatful if someone could post the way it is done in inkscape.  I am not to familiar with the program but I do have it.  Does it keep the color like vectormagic?  meaning more than just black? Thanks for the help.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,3683.0.html

I'll be the first to admit that I downloaded Inkscape, did a quick walk with the instructions provided compliments of this forum, but still didn't "get it."

So I was really, really bummed when I visited the VM website to get something vectorized and I was presented with the notice and survey about it being bumped off the Stanford servers (understandably). But when the survy hinted to some of the prices they were thinking about charging ... Good Lord!

Well, I have my 4 free tokens, and a few more here and there - basically made everyone in my family sign-up so I can use their tokens. I decided to bite the bullet and give Inkscape another run. Low and behold ... I succeeded.

VM was great while it lasted, but I'm glad that I was forced to be reliant on other means to vecotrize. I cut as a hobby and certainly don't cut enough that it would support the VM prices.

Thanks VM for all that you've helped me out in the past. Thank you to the USC Forum for teaching me "how to fish"!

You guys totally rock!

Looks like A LOT of people aren't too happy, and VM is trying to justify their costs:

What's a token worth?

Mar 04 2008, 03:45 PM

Posted by James and Jacob

Thank you to everyone who has signed up!

Enough users have expressed frustration with the new pricing structure that we would like to address these concerns in this blog post.

What is a token worth?

Multiple surveys indicate that tracing an image by hand or with other tools takes on average about an hour, including clean-up.

The same surveys say that Vector Magic drops that time to about 15 minutes, also including clean-up.

This means that on average you save about 45 minutes of labor on each image.

Given the prevailing wage and overhead costs in the graphic design and print industries, these 45 minutes are worth about $20, of which we are asking for about $2 on average.

This price is aligned with our costs, and given projected volumes will allow us to continue operating and improving the service.

We understand the frustration of seeing a free service starting to charge, but these prices are simply essential to having the service continue to operate.

Can't you just have ads instead?

Experiments show that ads are not even close to sufficient to cover the costs, so some kind of fee is essential to the service being offered at all.

Subscriptions?

We are considering adding volume limited subscriptions (like cell phone plans), but there is no date set for that at the time of this writing.

We hope this helps clarify the issues. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Very Best,

James and Jacob

i think that if james and jacob want to see any money from their work, they will have to make it a software package and market that way.

my 2 cents

bb

Agreed... as long as it's priced within reason. I think I'd be willing to spend up to $100 for the program. I used VM a lot in the past when it was still free, but a lot of the things I vecotized were to test images, etc. I'm not willing to do that for $3+ an image...

I am glad they did this.  I have learned so much from working with inkscape and AI since they changed to a pay service. Thanks Vector Magic ;)  Enjoyed it while it was there, but learned nothing in the process.  Still need to tune the skills some more but I am alot further now than I was.

Is anyone going to sign-up for the Vector Magic services?

Not me. Getting kind of tired of all the darn subscription stuff, it adds up quick when you're not paying attention. I may buy the program if the price is right.

Inkscape is suiting my needs at the time. I have a few tokens, so if Inkscape can't get it right, I may stop by VM.

VM is now offering a subscription fee with unlimitied dowlnoads.

$4.95/month, Billed 3 months at a time $14.85 charged on each bill 

VM is now offering a subscription fee with unlimitied dowlnoads.

$4.95/month, Billed 3 months at a time $14.85 charged on each bill 

That's not too bad.....

At least that it relatively reasonably priced. I remember taking their survey and they were asking if the consumers would be willing to pay some kind of ridiculous amount of money either for a monthly subscription, per use, or if they ever got around to releasing a licensed version. I guess maybe they figured out that we would find other means to get the job done.

One of the main reasons why I  liked VM was because it converted colored images so easily. After getting used to Inkscape, I think it does a far better job, and it's faster... but I may need a color image converted from time to time.