Sign in to follow this  
dgreenh

Vector Magic

I don't know if this site has been brought up before

http://vectormagic.stanford.edu/

You can upload you image and vectorize it on-line then download the eps or svg file that was created.  I tried a couple of quick gif files and it seemed to work.  Requires Flash 9 plugin to be installed in your browser.

Edit: Deleted invalid references to pop up windows on this site.

I think I may have falsely accused the Vector Magic site for having popups and other bad things.  I now think I picked up the spyware/malware from somewhere else.  It just all seemed to hit when I went to Vector Magic. 

Anyway, keep your antivirus up to date and have some kind of spyware protection running.  The only program I found that would find what I had was BitDefender Search and Destroy.  Freeware and saved my bacon.

Guest fivestar

Very nice site, thanks and not that site does not have any popups nor spyware coming from it.

Thanks for confirming that fivestar. 

I was having a hard time believing that any part of Stanford University's web site would be malicious.   

I second Terry, I use avg and zone alarm firewall, and spybot search and destroy. With no problems at all.

I've been using Avast and zone alarm, now added spybot.  I don't know where that infection came from but it seems to be fixed now.  Something I allowed on my computer I guess.

I guess all good things must come to an end....

"The Vector Magic research project is coming to an end. While a precise end-date is not yet set, the computer resources so graciously provided by Stanford will need to be reallocated to other research projects within the next few weeks."

I contacted the fine folks at VectorMagic yesterday after seeing this post...  They tell me that they are currently looking to move to a private server, and when the time is right, will make the move.  I think it's a matter of there being a lot of bandwidth taken up by this project on the school server.  They're also looking at offering a client-side application, and/or the possibility of VM being a subscription offering once it's moved to a privately owned server.

Rex S.

Thats good to hear... cause I use the crap out of vector magic. I'd even be willing to purchase the program if it was offered.

Did any of you take their survey? I would like to know your thoughts on their possible charges that they are possibly considering.

Did any of you take their survey? I would like to know your thoughts on their possible charges that they are possibly considering.

Where's this survey you speak of?

But, yes... as posted above, I like the program enough and use enough that I'd be willing to purchase it.

Well it has happened, the Vector Magic is no longer free.  They have implemented a token payment.  They have not offered a just buy the software version yet.  If they do , i will buy it. Untill then , anyone know of another free vectorizing site.  I really dont care for inkscape.  I'm sure i'm not the only one that is upset.  Vector Magic was great and i'm also not into the pay as you go sites.

Tewfiddy

yes I gree!!! Over 2 bucks is crazy, I'll use my free 5 then Im gone...  I will have to learn how to do it in INkscape or somewhere else.  I would like to find a nother free one like Vector Magic

Tewfiddy

I emailed them asking if they were going to sell the program.  I explained that it was a bit expensive to charge the amount they are charging.  Here is the reply:

We understand the frustration of having to pay for a service that used to be free, but Stanford is not footing the bill anymore and we have to cover our expenses somehow.  We've experimented with ads and they don't even come close.

I hope we are able to meet your needs in some way.  If not, best of luck.

Thanks for your interest.

Very Best,

James

I agree sad news.  I guess I'll have to learn to vectorize better another way.

Jenny

I've been saying it all the time. Learn to vectorize, do it yourself. Vectorizing can be your very best friends in this business. You will have more options available for your jobs.

JC