Sign in to follow this  
Guest Schramm

Bat in my basement! Got it!

Guest Schramm

Well 2 days ago I opened the door to my basement and took 3 steps down and had a bat fly directly at me and jumped back up 3 stairs like a little school girl!  Today I maned up and went downstairs and found it and caught it!

post-0-12986543614495_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986543627863_thumb.jpg

yeah, have have disposed of many bats already in my basement.  They have accompanied us on a few occasions up stairs too.  :)

LOL Rob, been there done that! We live in the country and always see em outside. Never seem to bother anything. Well one night my daughter comes running into our rm and says there's a bat in the house. We go downstairs and he is flying around like crazy. Finally, he clings to the window screen so I creep up and pull the window down so he is between the window and the screen. Then I unlocked the screen and pushed it w the bat outside. Thinking all is well I go back to bed. Here my daughter comes again to say there is another. This time it is flying erratically and at our heads. Now I lock myself in the office and get on the internet to see how to catch it. Leaving my DH in his boots, boxers, net, and a afghan running around the house trying to get it. I'm shouting what I'm reading, "don't kill it" "don't use a racket on it" "if you can get him down they can't take off again without lift for their wings" etc etc while he is ready to choke me. He finally managed to get it in the afghan and take it outside, by morning it was gone. In 14 yrs we haven't seen anymore in the house thank goodness! But we still get a good laugh at Dad's bat trapping attire.

Guest Schramm

Now that is funny!!!  That little sucker caught me off guard and with rabies in animals and a 12" needle 12 times in the stomach, needless to say I was very very careful!  No chance of it getting caught in my hair though!!!LOL

I hear ya, interesting lil varmint and I like most animals even snakes BUT not when they are coming at me. It was amazing how close they could fly to your head without ever making contact. I still have no idea how they got inside either, checked the roof but can't find anything out of the ordinary there. But they can fit in some pretty small holes.

Rob, glad to hear you caught the bat!!  I would of been screaming to!  :)

Tory, that is SOOOOOOOO funny!!! I can picture it now....lol  :)

Tory, that is SOOOOOOOO funny!!! I can picture it now....lol  :)

He kept saying, am I on AFV or what....poor guy we were laughing while safe from the dive bomber. I was real brave w the first one but quickly retreated w the second one being so aggressive :)

LMAO....AFV...it should of been submitted, you would of won for SURE!!!  :)

We had a bat problem in our house for 2 weeks after a bad thunderstorm. I caught a few and let them go. Unfortunately, a couple wouldn't let me catch them so I had whack into the wall which killed one and injured another. I got a really cool picture of one of them that I caught, although it's a bit grainy because it came from the cell phone.

6732_572031569188_219703273_3372394.jpg

Guest Schramm

WOW who would of thought it?!?!  You know come to think of it mine showed up 2 days after a bad thunderstorm!  Honestly I dont mind them much, just not much of the kind of person that wants to get bit on accident and then have to get shots for rabies!

I probably kind of dumb since I really didn't even think about the rabies thing. On one night, I woke up to a bat flying around my bedroom but I was so tired, I said screw it and went back to sleep. Thirty minutes later, the little bugger was flapping his wings into my head so I grabbed him with my hand and threw him out the window.

It makes me wonder what would have happened if he had bitten me.

I probably kind of dumb since I really didn't even think about the rabies thing. On one night, I woke up to a bat flying around my bedroom but I was so tired, I said screw it and went back to sleep. Thirty minutes later, the little bugger was flapping his wings into my head so I grabbed him with my hand and threw him out the window.

It would have been bad. No more daytime trips...up all night..avoiding the sun...

Count_Dracula_Christopher_Lee.jpg

It would have been bad. No more daytime trips...up all night..avoiding the sun...

Count_Dracula_Christopher_Lee.jpg

ahahaha thank you for that  :) :)

ok - I truly must be a girly girl.... I would FREAK OUT if there was a bat in my house.  I don't even like bugs/spiders.  I'd be demanding that Erik shoot it, taser it, or something....

I think I'd be okay with a bat in the house ... until it becomes stinky or becomes airborne, then all bets are off!!! Then yes, I think the girly girl would come out  :thumbsup:

redx2.gif

I work in a church and we have bats all the time.  I usually use a dustpan and scoop them up and toss outside.  This guy did not want to cooperate!

large.jpg

I work in a church and we have bats all the time.  I usually use a dustpan and scoop them up and toss outside.  This guy did not want to cooperate!

Wow. You go Linda!

Stupid question ... Are bats just as dirty as rats? (i.e. mites, etc.)

2 years ago a couple friends of mine. Seen some bats flying by our lamppost outside, so we all got tennis rackets and started swinging. finally we got one. I hate them

2 years ago a couple friends of mine. Seen some bats flying by our lamppost outside, so we all got tennis rackets and started swinging. finally we got one. I hate them

See, now that just sounds like fun  :thumbsup:

Guest Schramm

I feel the same way about cats - tennis racket huh?  hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds a lot quiter then the 12 guage I have been using!  LOL