Sign in to follow this  
Beth

Best vinyl for car decals with small letters--"stickability"

I had a sample of Oracal 631 and this came out great and weeded so easily, then I cut the design in Shinerite because I wanted it to have a longer outside life, but can not get the letters to stay down as I weed.  Maybe this roll got to hot in transit or something?  Maybe I don't know what I am doing (big possibility here)...any comments...how long with 631 stay on a car window?  will 651 give me the same problems as the Shinerite?  any suggestions would be appreciated..thanks, Beth

all I use is Oracal I love it

Thanks to its proprietary formulation and construction, ORACAL Series 651 has become the industry standard for high performance calendered films. Only 2.5 mils thick, ORACAL 651 offers six year outdoor durability, flexibility, thermal print compatibility, and a choice of 59 high-gloss colors. This high-quality film is a good choice for moderately complex jobs that don't require the extra conformability provided by our cast films.

I use Shinerite, it is made by General Formulations company,  I love it..    I have never used 631, as it is a removable vinyl,  inside wall art and exhibition vinyl,  Probably first carwash it would be gone.  just a guess.  it is not made for outside.

THIS IS RIGHT FROM THEIR SITE Oracal.

This 3-year film removes cleanly and easily for up to 2 years after application and has a matte surface that suppresses unwanted reflection. It's an ideal choice for temporary and short-term indoor graphics--especially in tradeshows, displays and exhibitions. Available in 48 colors.

I have never used 631, as it is a removable vinyl,  inside wall art and exhibition vinyl,  Probably first carwash it would be gone.  just a guess.  it is not made for outside.

631 will last several months on a car window.  I've run it through a manual car wash, wouldn't try it in the ones with the brushes.  Oracal will actually suggest 631 for temporary car decals.  We've sold a lot of it to car dealers. 

Maybe I didn't put this question the correct way, should there be so much difference in the vinyl sticking to the backing for weeding between the two brands, or could I possibly have a roll of ShineRite that was mishandled and hasn't held it's stickyness? 

where did you get it?  It could be old,,  That is all I use, and no problems at all.  And my major sales are to apply to vehicles/windows. If you search this forum, you will see several members use both Oracal 651 and Shinerite and do not see a difference between them. Me included.  Very ez to weed and use.  General Formulations Company  has been around  since 1953.

Here is what I learned, my blade was out a little too far and the white vinyl I was using to test the cutter has been mishandled or just a bad batch.....I've been very successful at cutting the other cutters after getting the machine set up....thanks everyone who made suggestions...b

A good lesson to learn.  Remember that different types of vinyl vary somewhat in thickness (cast, calend., reflective, metallic, etc.).  You must adjust the blade accordingly or you may have trouble weeding.  Blade depth too deep....you'll be peeling up the backer with the vinyl.  Blade depth too shallow...you'll be peeling up the image with your unwanted vinyl. 

Also, Oracal 851 would be my recommendation for vehicle graphics.  It lasts for years and cuts nicely in fine detail with a sharp blade. :thumbsup:

Oracal 651 rocks. It's all I use unless I ever get a job which requires cast vinyl (751 or 951).

I've been using Oracal 751 for my car website URL and it has held up great.  I am just now getting set up to cut my own stickers to help fund the site.  I made a 7"x1" sticker of the URL and had it on my car for at least 2-3 years with no fading, shrinking and it came off fairly easily with the residue being removed with some 90% rubbing alcohol on the glass.

Just ordered some white 751 from signwarehouse and am waiting on getting my cutter/plotter from uscutter soon.