Sign in to follow this  
firemalt

Going back to college...

Guest fivestar

Congrats and let me know if you need help..... :) :) :) I can definitely help you FAIL.

fivestar, too funny! good luck firemalt!

bb

Best of luck Firemalt! My husband is currently taking online courses, the older you get the less fun it is BUT very gratifying. Good for you, education is never wasted. :D

Congrats to you FM!!!  I'm proud of you.  It's never to late to go back to school.  My hubby is attending ETSU here at the age of 42 to get his bachelors degree.

I wish you the very best and hope to see you on the forum when you can!

WELL FireMalt  CONGRADULATIONS ON MORE EDUCATION THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GETTING MORE EDUCATED AS I THOUGHT ABOUT IT MY SELF BUT I PROBABLY GO TO TAKE UP SPACE

DONT KNOW WHAT TO TAKE UP MAINLY MY INTEREST ARE LAW OR DOG TRAINING

BUT MOSTLY CONGRADULATIONS ON MORE EDUCATION CANT GET ENOUGH OF THAT

Congrats! I finished college 25 years ago, but my eduaction continues to this day.

Congrats! I finished college 25 years ago, but my eduaction continues to this day.

Oh so true John!

I completely agree with that, BUT it's harder and harder to get a job without that darn degree!  :-X

Guest fivestar

I completely agree with that, BUT it's harder and harder to get a job without that darn degree!  :-X

Yes it is....That's why I just create my own jobs.  ;)

Harder and Harder WITH a degree too. Next time you go out to a nice restaurant to eat, ask your Server what his/her degree is in. The guy who does our plumbing makes more money than the averange teacher.

Guest fivestar

Harder and Harder WITH a degree too. Next time you go out to a nice restaurant to eat, ask your Server what his/her degree is in. The guy who does our plumbing makes more money than the averange teacher.

My daughter has a degree in Psychology and Literature and a girl she was in class with is a hostess at Red Lobster and told my daughter she makes more $$$$ there then she can with her degree.  What a shame.

BannerJohn  i agree now adays a degree isn't worth nothing  i know some one that is in construction and makes more money that several engineers i know and also several instructors at the salemburgh justice academy in Sampson county north Carolina for the state bureau of investigation 

BannerJohn  i agree now adays a degree isn't worth nothing  i know some one that is in construction and makes more money that several engineers i know and also several instructors at the salemburgh justice academy in Sampson county north Carolina for the state bureau of investigation 

YOu hit the nail on the head. Parents today are shoving college down their kids throat as if it is a lifetime guarantee of good money. As a result, the trades are hurting...and people who repair,fix,and install things are getting top dollar. A good tile setter can name his own price usually..as well as a good carpenter. College is not the answer to everyone's needs.

Consruction workers and people like that deserve what they get. They work harder than most of us.

Construction workers and people like that deserve what they get. They work harder than most of us.

thanks john, i do work very hard for my money, there is no doubt. i am highly skilled in finish carpentry, tile setting, and a host of other construction trades. none of which i learned in any "formal" school.

bb

I have great respect for trades people...I spent 30 years as an upholsterer and ruined my health doing it. I built my won shop from the ground up,including manhandling the roof trusses into place by myself. Sunday, I spent 5 hours removing and repairing the sump pump in my shop. I know what hard work is and I know how many people don't get what they are due for it.

This is one reason I sometimes complain about sign people expecting so much for cutting a bit of vinyl, when I know people who work all day in the blazing hot sun, busting their asses for $12 an hour.

I'm 17 years old. A junior in high school. I get good grades and have a 3.7 GPA on a 4.0 scale. After high school I plan on becoming an apprentice at the electricity company becoming a lineman or an apprentice plumber. Both jobs will pay $25-35 an hour after the first 2 years. I also plan on going to college as a BACKUP. Not sure what for yet, I'm leaning towards getting a degree as an engineer.

Vinyl will still be kinda a side business I'm sure.

People always ask where i want to go to college after school. I tell them I may not go to college. They look at my like I'm crazy. But I've done lots of research and given a speech over it, and after spending all that time and money going to college, opting not to go to college is often the better option. Even after people say you cant get a job without a degree today.

My mother is one of those "you'll never make it in life without a degree" people. I, on the other hand, am a very skilled carpenter. Over the years, I have also learned how to operate heavy equipment; install & service hvac systems; light electrical (up to 480); basic plumbing; roofing and drywall installation. The last time I saw my mom, we started dicussing it. She brought up that I should go back to college (I did study for a year in a tech school). She is rather proud of the initials that follow her name in her field (psychology). I finally explained to her how much I am paid and my benefits package (I am a union carpenter). She hasn't mentioned college since. I make more than she does. Of course, I also have a lot of years of experience as well (over 25 years in commercial work).

Charlie

experience and what you get from it are paramount.

bb