Guest round2racing

Windows Required Fonts

Guest round2racing

Does anyone know which fonts are required by Windows for normal operation?

I want to clean out some fonts that I do not want nor need.

For example, Tekton font.  I do not need the condensed version and it would make room for

a different sign font.

I'm not sure how many fonts Windows can tolerate and I don't want to crash or slow down anything.

I know SBE relies on the windows font folder and I don't want to put too many in.

Anyone with answers or suggestions?

Guest round2racing

500?

Well, if that is a safe operating number of fonts, then I am pretty much okay.

Does anyone use a font manager here?

Does SBE recognize it?

I don't use a font manager, but as far as I know SBE will only recognize the TTF that are in the WindowsFonts directory and the sbfonts directory.

Guest round2racing

So I can load fonts into the sbfonts?

As far as I know, yes. However, I don't think that the fonts that are loaded in the sbfonts directory are visible to other Windows applications.

As far as I know, yes. However, I don't think that the fonts that are loaded in the sbfonts directory are visible to other Windows applications.

I think you are right.  But, what you can do is just open the font in the sbfonts directory & minimize to the desktop & it can be used in other programs.

You can do this for any font you have in any folder on your computer & it will work in other programs.

That is why you dont have to install the font into your windows fonts folder. Although some of us get a little crazy with it anyway. I have over 900 installed, absolutely no reason for doing it either, just a fontaholic.

Guest round2racing

I tried installing a cartoon font in the SBFONT folder.

It came up, but it showed as a block style letter.

I guess it didn't recognize the style and put in a block letter.

Guest round2racing

BUMP

Can someone else tell me what to do to install fonts in the SBE folders?

Go to the sbfonts folder in the cutting technologies folder on your hd.

Program Files>cuttling technologies>signblazer elements>sbfonts  then just drag your font into the folder. 

You may be asked if you have permission.  Just say yes.

make sure your font is .ttf, and once installed into your sbfonts directory, double click on it so that you can "view" it, then it should be okay.

500?

Well, if that is a safe operating number of fonts, then I am pretty much okay.

Does anyone use a font manager here?

Does SBE recognize it?

It's not a matter of 'safe' it's a matter of slowing things down..mainly how long it takes a program to load.

That article is an OLD article..as it says...Windows XP can easily handle 1000 or more fonts and I have read that up to 2000 is no problem. I assume Vista can handle even more.

FRom the article:

Note to the reader: This article was originally written in 1999, when Windows 95 and 98 were the prevalent operating systems. Now most Windows computers are running Windows XP or Windows 2000 where font overload is not as much of an issue as it once was. Although newer versions of Windows areable to handle a virtually unlimited number of fonts.

A few years ago someone asked the question on a Computer forum I was a member of. I think teh answer (for XP anyway) was that there really is no limit, but anything over 2000 will slow you down.

Guest round2racing

Thanks guys.

You are the best.

Now I know I can put some signmaker and hot rod fonts in my collection!!!