Sign in to follow this  
couturebling

holes are not round

I've seen a couple discussions on this and I'm wondering if I could get help.  I am making rhinestone templates also, and am doing 3mm holes (well more like 3.5 mm).  I'm drawing mine in Signblazer and they appear to be a true circle.  I've put the pen in and inked it out and the circles are right!!  I did a text square and measured and it is also right so the X and Y calibration is good, well at least thats what I'm guessing.  I really think it has to do with the pressure on the template material which I'm using sandmask material.  Is there a way to make it hold better?

you are not saying what type of vinyl cutter you are using,, people need more info on here to help you out.  It helps to put your machine type, computer type,  cutting software, etc.  and other info in your signature, then you don't have to enter all that info every time you want help. 

Check the offset setting too. It will have an affect on shapes especially that small.

I'm sorry I'm using the Creation PCut machine.  A 60 degree blade, its cutting the material well. 

What is the purpose of offset?

Thanks for your help, I'm so clueless on this.

In the cutter menu there is another setup. It controls the cutter options and one of them is offset.

I usually explain it like towing a trailer. When you go around a corner the trailer wheels do not follow the same exact path as the wheels so you have to take corners wider so your trailer wheels don't go upo on the curb. The tip of the cutter blade is slightly behind the center of the plade holder like the wheels on a trailer. It drags behind the holder a little keeping the sharp part pointing forward. Offset compensates for the lag of the cutter by over exagerating curves so that the cutter will go where the design is. Kind of like taking wide corners with you car. On you PCut with a standard 40* blade the offset setting should be .25. Check it an see where yours is set.

Your explaination is fantastic and I totally understand.  But I don't think that I have offset.  On the cutter, I went through the mode options and there is no "offset".  Is x-scale and Y-scale something different?

I'm using a 60 degree blade.

Does it make a difference in which way the blade is facing in the holder?  Like if I was looking at it from the front it would be just a straight line or should I see the angle of the blade?

Thanks!!!

The offset is in the signblazer software. In the cutter window, select Setup. This panel will come up. It doesn't matter which way the blade faces. As the cutter moves it will drag the blade to the correct orientation. That is why offset is required, so the blade drags behind.

post-1657-12986543004933_thumb.jpg