Sign in to follow this  
VolleyChick

Waiting...not responding...no display

So I'm back trying to cut a few logos and of course the wheels are already off. I set it to cut and all seemed well until it should have gone to the 2nd row to cut, it stopped and the display said waiting. So I did, then the program said not responding so I ended the process and shut the machine down. Restarted it and now there is no display...and what it did cut seems ok at one end but not the other...bah. Any advice is great appreciated - thanks.

Di

First, check to make sure that the cutting carriage isn't pressing down upon one of the red kill switches. If it is, then turn the machine off and gently move the carriage away from the switch by hand.

If it's not the kill switch, then there's a very good chance that it's the connection. I would take an educated guess and say that you're hooked up using a USB connection. You connection could be getting dropped because the cable is vibrating just enough to get loose, or if you're going through a usb extension or hub - don't. The cutter has communication issues when going through a hub or using an extension. Plug directly into your computer. I would recommend hooking up the cutter with the serial cable that USC provided to you. If you do not have a serial port on your computer, you can buy a keyspan (USB to serial adapter). You can find those at your local Radio Shack or computer store, the USC website, or if you have the patience, the eBay is the cheapest.

If you need to cut now, don't have a serial, cannot manage to find an adapter, then do like I did. Use painters tape (or app tape) to hold the USB cable in the port on the cutter. It's not beautiful, but it's effective.

I used the USB port for as long as I could, then it began to rattle loose, so I had to convert to a serial - thankfully my PC has a serial port, but I do have keyspan just in case I need to connect it to my Mac or one of my laptops.

Good luck!

btw - posting details of your setup in your signature will go a long way with asking for help.

Ding - solution number one worked - I'm am so lost with this thing, thanks! I am using a usb hub since my monitor is on the serial port, can you split a serial port?  I added to my signature too - hope its the right stuff - thanks again.

Di

I spoke too soon, I moved it and got the display back but when I tried to cut it locked up again and insists on going back to where it stopped cutting. How do I get it to start from the right place?

I don't think SignBlazer was meant to be run from a hub. can you plug it direct to the PC and your other peripherals to the hub?

okay. the monitor port is not a serial port, so if you don't have an open port that looks remotely close, then you probably don't have a serial port at all. [serial ports are considered 'old' technology so not very many new computers have them any more] Definitely try it without the hub and see what happens.

Just remember that by default the cutter will cut from right to left.

If the carriage constantly hitting the kill switch is the issue, then I you need to make sure that when you position the cutting carriage to where you'd like to start it, make sure that you "zero" out the x & y coordinates (by pressing the cross hair button when the cutter is offline). Once the display reads x=0, y=0, then you can bring the cutter back online and start cutting.

Another thing you could check is that your workspace in SBE is not larger than the actual vinyl that you're using. To configure that it will be in SBE, File, Work Space Setup. For example, I'm usually cutting 15" (perforated) vinyl, and my app tape is only 14" wide, so I usually have my work space configured for 14".

Keep us posted on your progress.  :thumbsup:

btw - thanks for posting info in your sig. definitely helpful!  :thumbsup:

Well, I moved things around and plugged it into one of the USB's on the back of the tower. In set up I changed to BlazerCom1 and got the message "Cannot open the output device, error initializing cutter". So I switched it to Com2 and still get the same message and can't do anything. Wah.

Doesn't the set up have more Com ports than 1 and 2?  Go into your device manager and see which one you are REALLY plugging it into.  It will show it...

Di, are you working off a Desktop or a Laptop? If you have a desktop I would buy a serial card to install. From my experience, serial is a lot more dependable connection.

Jay

The number of com ports will vary computer to computer.

Do not try the LPT because those won't work. You can try the different ones listed until you find the right port. There is only a limited amount of options.

I agree with Jay though, think about picking up a keyspan so that you can just use the serial connection on the cutter side and the USB on your computer.

The number of com port will vary computer to computer.

Do not try the LPT because those won't work. You can try the different ones listed until you find the right port. There is only a limited amount of options.

I agree with Jay though, think about picking up a keyspan so that you can just use the serial connection on the cutter side and the USB on your computer.

I was thinking just a PCI Serial card to drop in the computer. Serial to Serial. Can be picked up for 20 dollars.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1776689&CatId=1422

Jay

Ok, so I tried COM3 and its sending output to the cutter, but nothing happens - I went to the device manager and it shows the ports but not what is connected to them if that makes sense. Right now I have it on my desktop but could change to my laptop if that's better and I'll buy whatever I need to make this work...

did you also change your set up in Signblazer to com3,, you have to match the com numbers in Sign blazer and your pc

So does this thing store up the cutting jobs? I still can't get it to cut from SB so I pressed test and it sort of went crazy. I'm going to uninstall and start over - wish me luck : p

Thanks Paco, I'll do that for sure. I called support this morning and they got me back on track - cutting vinyl as I type, its a beautiful thing : )

how about posting the solution so that others might benefit from it?

Sure - not sure who I spoke to but, he remoted in to my pc and set up the software for me, then tested the machine and had me adjust the blade so it was shorter. I did call back since when I tried to cut after a few times it wouldn't, the remedy was to shut off the machine for 15 seconds, turn back on and it cuts. That was huge since I assumed I was messing something up when it wouldn't cut, but it works great. I had to do a few test runs but seems I have it at the place - I'm attaching a few pics of the suits I did.

post-4382-12986542997141_thumb.jpg

post-4382-12986543013242_thumb.jpg

so he didn't tell you what he did,in case it happens again? What the actual solution to the problem was?

Thanks Jay! I think the solution to the problem is me learning more and being patient - once anything goes wrong I think I've ruined the works. One other thing he did do was connect to a port that I didn't even try since I thought it was my hub - so that may have been an issue too. I'd sum it up to user error...

... I'd sum it up to user error...

That definitely was (and probably still is) 98% of any cutting issue I have. Hehehe.