Sign in to follow this  
DeSigns

Can I use Oracal 651 on walls?

So I have not started my business yet, but I am ready to. I have already bought around 10 rolls of 651 Oracal vinyl, under the impression that this is the correct vinyl to use on walls. After researching, yes after I bought all the rolls, I have learned that 631 is the best for walls. My question is, will 651 hurt walls? Can I use it for wall decoration, or should I just use it for signs and buy all new rolls of 631? (I really don't want to do option 2) :- So what do you think? Thanks for all help! :(

I wouldn't use 651 on walls. There is a good chance that the adhesive will take part of the wall with it as you remove the decal. The adhesive on 651 is a permanent adhesive while the adhesive on 631 is temporary.

Oh so sad. I was planning on selling only wall art. It's going to be so expensive to restock. Thanks. :'(

i have 651 on my wall. its been on there for about 3 mo. im going to go peel it off

my 8x8 area came off easly, you just cant rush it. but came off with no paint ot texture

Guest sciondrgn

It works ok but will leave residue and depending on the surface might take some paint off .. I had 2 large dragons on mine and peeling them off when I moved out and you could still faintly see the dragons on the wall but it came off fine.

Thanks everyone. I think I will be OK if I include a disclaimer. I need something to say that I'm not liable for any damage of the wall.

Thanks everyone. I think I will be OK if I include a disclaimer. I need something to say that I'm not liable for any damage of the wall.

If all your going to sell is wall art then I would use the vinyl that is for that. You are going to take a chance of giving yourself a bad name after it damages the wall and people start to talk. Just not worth the risk if you ask me. Also 631 is a mate vinyl and looks so much better on walls rather than a shiny vinyl (imo)

Post up your vinyl that you have now or ask to trade it for 631 I am sure you would find someone to do that.

Better than getting a bad name for youself..

Yea, go ahead and get some 631, and do it right. The general public is not gonna be very gentle removing them, and off comes the paint. You'll find you don't need many colors, 90% of my wall stuff is black.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to eventually be doing car window lettering, so I guess I can save it for that. No biggie, I just want to make sure I'm doing things right. So far I have white, black, red, lime green, purple, and ice blue. I've been making other items as well, so the vinyl won't go to waste. I make locker mirrors and signs and car window decals (currently being sold at a farmer's market).

Thanks everyone~![move][/move]

just some info from my experience. I was waiting for my 631 to arrive, so I use some 651 and some BGS on a couple wall decals to test the system out. Once I got the 631 I redid them, for the reason that Spyder stated. The gloss finish made it really hard to tell what color vinyl I had put on the wall. and made it difficult to read.

Funny thing here, I am a big proponent for Oracal vinyl, and I pretty much hate BGS for anything but practice cuts, But the BGS came off the wall fine, no residue no shadows nothing.(Crappy glue??)  the Oracal 651 did take some paint with it and discolored the area a very small almost unnoticeable amount. The glue on 651 was not designed for the wall so i understand fully for this. Luckily i just made the decal again out of 631 and reapplied over exactly the same spot.

Kevin