Sign in to follow this  
sspvinyl

Type of Vinyl for tent / canopy

I have a customer wanting to put vinyl on his pop up tent.  Is there a type of vinyl that would work for this material?

i would use a cast vinyl with permanent adhesive.

bb

If your applying to canvas, regular vinyl is not going to last long term. your going to have to use Heat Press vinyl or Screen print it. 

If it's on the Fiberglass or aluminum shell anything above Oracal 651 will work.

Kevin

I remember reading the post Preston is talking about but can't locate it right now either. In the post he describes what he finally did to get the vinyl to adhere properly. Maybe it was more of how he rigged it to actually press it?? It was a while ago.

Yes they are using heat press vinyl, regular vinyl will not adhere to fabric very well for any length of time.

It will stick to vinyl coated canvas fairly well though. If it is the heavy rough vinyl surface, you can apply good vinyl to it,

then using a heatgun or hair dryer and a tennis ball, warm up the vinyl a little and roll the tennis ball over it to force it down into the texture.

This does hold up pretty decent.

Kevin

In the canopy that the tent shade is produced using vinyl (like vinyl flag material) I have utilized cast and calendered vinyl with great results. In the canopy that the tent shelter is genuine cotton, fabric sort, canvas material I have utilized plottable material like for warmth press shirts and connected with a hot iron on the off chance that I couldn't achieve the tent lettering are with a warmth press. Those sort occasion tents get set up, brought down and collapsed up over an over, so you need use something that will bear the collapsing and stay put..In the canopy that the tent shade is produced using vinyl (like vinyl flag material) I have utilized cast and calendered vinyl with great results. In the canopy that the tent shelter is genuine cotton, fabric sort, canvas material I have utilized plottable material like for warmth press shirts and connected with a hot iron on the off chance that I couldn't achieve the tent lettering are with a warmth press. Those sort occasion tents get set up, brought down and collapsed up over an over, so you need use something that will bear the collapsing and stay put..