sarconastic

Cheap Light Table

I haven't had time to get the monster light table I picked up set up in the shop yet. I was working on a 3 color decal today and messed up the registration marks. I'm thinking, hmm should have set up that light table dummy. So I wander through the house and find an old Fish aquarium we had used for a hamster of my daughters. I drug it and an olf=d Chicken light out of the store room and Wallah, instant light table.

It's not a permanent solution but works in a pinch.

Kevin

post-4426-1298654263081_thumb.jpg

post-4426-12986542644352_thumb.jpg

Tell the truth - you're a Redneck ain't ya? How many people happen to have an old hamster aquarium and a chicken light hanging around? LOL! Don't worry, I only recognized it because I'm the same way.

Charlie

I do a lot of yardsales and I see a LOT of coffee tables with glass tops. Usually $10 or so...seems like one of these would be a good light box with a light under it..

• Like 1

Guest kenya

:) I have a big 90 gallon tank I'm not using anymore......... gives me ideas.    :) :)

I must say, if it works...... go for it. :thumbsup:

I started out using my sliding glass door, of course it didn't work after dark.  :)

got 2 aquariums we raised baby chicks in, 2 chicken lights, i are a redneck....rolmao

had abot 75 birds here till racoons cleaned me out down to 8 now...i hate racoons

but might have to try that sometime does it help to see thru a decal after it is cut to weed?

Guest kenya

Kenya,

Two words - porch light.

Charlie

Charlie........ you think that I didn't try that?  :thumbsup::)

Do you know how many bugs come to a light here in Florida, at night? Especially when I have a 3 acre pond within 600ft of the house.  Not to mention the green tree frogs.  :) :)

ammo

it helps tremendously lining up layered decals. The decal on the aquarium is Black vinyl that I layer Maroon and silver over, and I lined them all up perfectly without registration marks. You do need to be a little careful, the glass can get warm and expand your vinyl a little. Fluorescent lighting would be better but I had to get this one done.

Kevin

thanks for the info...

keep it in mind when i do try to do 2 colors ....

havent yet still trying to learn all i can

My light box doubles as an exposing unit.  I built a simple 24 in x 48 in. box out of ash and plywood then went to lightbulbs unlimited for a ballast, fluorescent white and UV tubes and connectors.  Visited a glass supplier near the house and bought a piece of 1/8th in. optically clear (not necessary) tempered glass (stronger) and glass hinges (steal these from an old stereo cabinet for free) for $35.  When I need a light table, I swap out the bulbs for white.  When I'm exposing screens back to UV.  The whole thing cost me less than $150 and does as well as most $2400 units.  I cut a sheet of 3/4 in. plywood in half and notched the pieces in the middle of each for a collapsible stand.  I'll post a pic this weekend.

Hey, We just made a light table out of our sliding glass door. We replaced the door and used the old sliding door for the top. The glass top is almost 7 feet long and about 3 feet wide. We framed it up and made the glass flush with the top of the frame. It sits 40 inches high. It has two 48 inch shop lights under the glass. (4 bulbs total). Works out pretty good and is a nice sturdy light table.

post-7076-12986550107085_thumb.jpg

post-7076-12986550121743_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hey, We just made a light table out of our sliding glass door. We replaced the door and used the old sliding door for the top. The glass top is almost 7 feet long and about 3 feet wide. We framed it up and made the glass flush with the top of the frame. It sits 40 inches high. It has two 48 inch shop lights under the glass. (4 bulbs total). Works out pretty good and is a nice sturdy light table.

Good to see some quality recycling.  Looks great! 

Have you considered adding some thin paper to the underside of the glass to dim the light a bit?  Would make it a bit easier on the eyes...

Either way, good idea and great job..

Good to see some quality recycling.  Looks great! 

Have you considered adding some thin paper to the underside of the glass to dim the light a bit?  Would make it a bit easier on the eyes...

Either way, good idea and great job..

Thanks! it had a very low grade tint on it, but we took it off. It isn't too bad once you get your vinyl on the table though

I am from TN and I believe in the redneck ways.

Sometimes they turn out better.

I LOVE the aquarium idea.  That is too cool.!!!

It's saved my butt several times, After cutting and realizing I forgot to select the reg marksd etc.

Kevin

Here is a pic of a light box/table I made today. Not too fancy but gets the job done..

post-7100-12986551508065_thumb.jpg

post-7100-12986551520849_thumb.jpg

Help me what is a light box used for does it just help you to weed thanks jhelms

will allow you to register multi color graphics without registration marks

Here is a pic of a light box/table I made today. Not too fancy but gets the job done..

Add a translucent white to the back to save your eyes!

was just talking to the woman about building a light table as she is a graphic designer and uses one of the really expensive ones we think we have a solution stay tuned for further info