haumana

laser engraver vs. cnc router

Hey gang - do any of you guys have either/both of these toys?

Considering expanding my 'toy' collection and wanted to get whatever 2c.gif y'all are willing to share.

I'm not looking for anything huge, not planning on turning into my 'day job', just want to add to the arsenal of fun toys that I can do cool things with. So it'll most likely need to be something table top. While cheap is good, bang for the buck (that won't break since I'm in the middle of the ocean) would be better.

Please, school me! Any suggestions and recommendation are always appreciated!

thankyou.gif

Mahalo Thors for your honest response. I am leaning towards a laser over a router, but you're right - cost is a bit steep ... especially trying to get one  shipped to Hawaii. I'm glad that you're able to interject some real life experiences. There's no advice like those who have walked the path. I might just have to consider a homemade rig like you have.

I've been mulling over the idea for a while, and had an opportunity to purchase a used Universal Laser Systems one from a wood worker here, but he was asking 10k for it, but said that he'd throw in the computer he used for it for free ... it ran on windows 98, Corel 3.0. That was just last year. I just found an online article that were instructions to build a laser engraver for $60. I'm sure that I would probably burn out eye sight in one eye trying to piece together something like that. Hahaha.

Of course I completely passed on that deal, I'd rather purchase a smaller one, brand new that will run a more current version of software. Hahahaha.

Well, I'll be pinching my pennies for now. Ideally I would like one that has a cutting table that can got at least 5" deep, but those seem to be on the really big and expensive machines. I really just want to be able to laser engrave (human) urns. I know it sounds like a strange thing. I've made urns in the past (human and animals), and would like to be able to engrave them as well. Currently I need to out source that and it just gets progressively more expensive - not to mention that it takes a bit of coordination with the trophy store, the crematorium and the person picking up the ashes.

Thanks again!

bowdown.gif

A few years ago I built a JGRO type DIY CNC router. Great for making wood signs and plaques. I also bought a used 25 watt Epilog laser. The laser is probably the most versitile tool I own. I can cut and engrave wood and acrylic as well as engraving on granite, marble and glass etc. I wish I had the marketing sense to make it more profitable.

Dave

It was a steal @ $3K. It's 10 years old, which is ancient for a laser (with the original tube!) and still works at the rated power as best I can tell. I used to work at a visual effects studio in Hollywood where the owner used it for building miniatures. A few years ago when he was short on cash I bought it from him for a song. It was 28K new.

ARGH! Why does it have to be soo darn expensive? (sigh)

I found the instructions for the $60 laser engraver here.

I do decently on my lathe, but haven't honed the skills to gouge out anything as deep as an urn .. yet. I would love to be able to crank out some decent urns on the lathe though. It's hard to find some of the exotic woods that people here like to have (i.e. Koa, Mango, etc.). I can find those woods in short boards and planks, but usually never in a nice enough chunk big enough to make an urn.

The urns that I've been making have been the standard square stuff (5x7x9), hence the engraving would be on the 7x9 surface 5" deep. The picture I attached is a prime example. Unfortunately the picture could be better, this pic doesn't do it justice. The design is a double tennis racquet design similar to the Wimbledon logo, and the font is "Star Trek". His favorite sport with one of his favorite shows. The back engraving was tossed in for free and shows the engraving a bit better.

I think I'll be scrounging the internet for anyone willing to ship a laser engraver to Hawaii, at an appropriate cost.

Ursine - any chance you're tired of yours yet? UPS does ship 'Ground' to Hawaii! dance.gif

post-1552-12986542634352_thumb.jpg

post-1552-1298654263465_thumb.jpg

post-1552-12986542646639_thumb.jpg

post-1552-12986542646795_thumb.jpg

.... UPS does ship 'Ground' to Hawaii!...

I'd like to see a pic of the truck they use to do that with.

If the intended use is on flat surfaced wood, have you looked at a CarveWright?

cool. It looks like they might be the makers for the Craftsman one.

I guess that's definitely worth taking a look at, I just wonder if I would be better off saving that money and trying to find some kind of affordable laser system.

Ahh, decisions, decisions.

My experience with the laser engravers (small) is that their capabilities are very limited, unless you are doing lots of trophy/plaque work.  This is the typical flatbed laser, however.  I am sure they have a much more sophisticated unit with a 4th axis that allows rotation and doing what you are looking for (engraving of cylindrical objects).

CNC router (mill) is probably going to be more useful, if you have the time/money/patience to learn the machinery, software, language, and tooling.

That instructables on the NC laser using the DVD burner is AWESOME.  Instructables never ceases to amaze me.

.... UPS does ship 'Ground' to Hawaii!...

I'd like to see a pic of the truck they use to do that with.

If the intended use is on flat surfaced wood, have you looked at a CarveWright?

Hahahaha. If you can imagine the slowest means of transport (usually by truck, not plane or train) and it will hit a high amount of transfer stations on it's way here. When it finally gets here the package, regardless of size, is treated like a second class citizen. While tracking it online will tell you that it's "on schedule" and "out for delivery," it doesn't mean it will be delivered on the projected date. If the delivery driver runs out of time, they will just haul it back to base and it will most like be delivered on the next business day ... usually as the end of the day. I find that usually happens to me on projected Friday delivery days which will usually make me irritated because I need to try and stay home to sign for the package on Monday.

I just got a new Epilog Laser catalog the other day, "starting at under $35,000"

Isn't that just great  :thumbsup:  That cost way more than most possessions I own. But if they sent you the total packet with the sample items, then you know why it's such an easy item to want to own.

so many technical questions ... my head is spinning  :thumbsup:

I will be making the urns myself, and would like to engrave them myself. The urns that I make (for now) are strictly box, and not cylindrical - I need to work on my lathe skills a bit more before I start making that type.

You bring up a very good point, which I had not considered - how much space is required between the physical end of the laser and the material being engraved, but that is definitely something that I need to check into prior to purchasing.

In an ideal world, I would able to hold off piecing together that side of the urn until after the engraving is done. Unfortunately the humidity we have here requires some serious time between the numerous coats of varathane, so the urns need to be ready for purchase by the time a customer is looking at it (less the optional engraving).

A laser that can handle the Z-axis would be the bomb! I've send out several cylindrical items for engraving and I get mixed results, due to the varied thickness of the wood. Sometimes it comes out great, and other times the engraver will cut clear through the wood and I end up seeing the brass shaft that's glued in the wood (i.e. pens, letter openers, etc.).

While it would be nice to 'cut' shapes with the laser (i.e. Christmas ornaments, book marks, stuff for inlays, etc.) that's not my main goal of the laser. Engrave first, cut second. Even if I did get one to cut, it probably wouldn't be anything more than 1/4" of wood, and I would actually consider that being thick.

I've never read how the bubblegrams are made but think they look totally awesome. There are a few guys locally that own those machines. I normally see the pop up at the flea markets or the "Made in Hawaii" and retail shopping expos we have throughout the year. It's pretty funny because they have a decent sized booth, but the machine they have is about the same size at the dog tag engraver that the pet store down the road from me has.

If anyone is interested in the instructions to build that $60 laser engraver, PM me. The attachment is too big to post here, even when zipped.

Thanks Scott  :thumbsup:  I do my best to create something that I can be proud of. Fortunately or unfortunately I had ample time to work on it.

I looked through the instructions on how to build the $60 laser, looked as though it would work for your needs for now!

Piece together the laser for now, and do a few engravings.  If it takes off, you should surly be able to purchase a better unit later.

I may even take a wack at building a laser engraver.... now where is the old DVD burner at???

The instructions from instructables makes it looks so easy. Send me a PM if you'd like the .pdf file. The instructions are laid out a better in that file, rather than trying to print out all 30ish pages if you try to cut & paste  :(