Sign in to follow this  
daisygirl

car window decals

Someone posted that the best vinyl for the car window decals is Oracal 651.  Do you agree?  have you tried something else & liked it better?  Also, what is the best type of transfer tape for car window decals?  Sorry if these are silly questions.  I'm a newbee. :-

Thanks,  Ann

651 for me as well.  As far as application tape, some will prefer paper, others clear.  I feel it's a personal choice.  I prefer PerfecTear by Main Tape.

I like 651 as well but I get complaints that when applying it pulls from the window.  I use both paper and clear and I found with clear it was worse?    Any suggestions?

Guest round2racing

I use paper for everything.

To keep the tape from pulling on the vinyl, I spray the paper, let it sit for a minute or so and it comes right off.

I've never used the clear tape, but with all the horror stories I have heard, I think I'll just stick to my paper.. :bear:

Guest round2racing

I use regular RTape, kinda looks like thin masking tape.

I just spray it with homemade app fluid and let it sit for a few minutes.

Never had a problem.

I prefer to use the papertape as well but I have used the clear and to me its so much more " stickier" doesnt want to let go of the vinyl at all!

Renee

I got burned a few times with buying EBAY vinyl. either I don't recieve product or I get really crappy stuff. Last time I ordered 50 yards, I got Sinloihi vinyl. Extremely thin and rips like paper. I'm also cutting stickers for cars. Is the Oracal 651 pretty heavy duty? How long will it hold up for? Any information MUCH appreciated

www.TeamHinga.net

651 is calendared vinyl, so it's a little thicker, ie heavier. But do not judge quality by the thickness. Cast vinyl is much thinner, and less forgiving, but is a better product.

One note about it. make sure you have all your colors welded with calendared/intermediate vinyl, I did a job a few months ago for a friend for free, when i first started. I forgot to weld the Cursive style fonts, and had a few cuts through the vinyl between each letter, they shrunk open in a month or so. But she's ok with it, but I will redo it for her when I get a chance.

Kevin

What vinyl would you recommend? Something a little thinner? Oracal 751 perhaps? I've been working with garbage and am looking for something easier to work with and last longer.

I have Scotchlite 3M Reflective, it is a pain in the ass to cut, would the 60degree blade work better?

I have just gotten started but I am falling in love with 651. It cuts well, weeds well and so far holds up good.

I did some test and put small letters .5" and large letters on my windshield and ran them through a wiper test along with 3 trips through a automated car wash. All stayed perfectly and I applied them the same day!

Cool, sounds like I'm going to give the 651 a try. Where is a good place to order from? Oracal? Is EBAY cheaper? I've seen Oracal 651 on there for sale. Thanks for helping me out ;D

USCutter has good prices and with the $9.99 flat shipping get several rolls to take advantage of the cheap shipping!!

Try AT-42 Clear by R-Tape........works great wet or dry....one of the few

Fellers has it........and yes 651 is very good.....but I use Avery A6 but its all choice......

My experience has been better durability with the Oracal 651 vs. Avery A6 - I have had failures on some gold graphics I made for one of my car dealers.  The Avery discolored and was very weathered looking and shrinking, pulling up on the sharp corner details after just over a year on the job.  I bought Oracal 651 to redo them - I don't buy Avery anymore. 

I haven't had any failures with the Oracal yet - some of the colors I used were Oracal and the Gold and Silver colors were Avery.  The silver ones still look OK and all the Oracal ones are fine.  I may have gotten a bad roll of gold A6 - I would like to hear what others have experienced.

-Mike

I looked at a truck yesterday that had a window decal applied on each side when it was bought new in 2002. He is wanting to replace them. They are just starting to crack in the corners of the graphic. This truck is not garaged. It is a work truck. In the weather 24/7.