Sign in to follow this  
b_rad

How to create a 2 colored number in Illustrator

I'm trying to figure out how to make a 2 colored number ( i.e. Blue on white) in Adobe Illustrator CS2 so can make a two colored number for a race car.If I copy the number, scale down 70 % it doesn't overlay correctly.

Can someone tell me the proper way to do this. It's got to be simple. see the example # 559 http://www.fireballgraphix.com/vinyl/catalog/index.php/cPath/177

R/ B_rad

You can copy the text and place the copy behind the orginal....

- Ctrl+C , Ctrl+B

Then with the back copy still selected, stroke it to a desired width, and change the color

Then Expand Appearence of both the front and back copy so you have two full shapes... Hold down the Alt key when you click the Merge Shape button on the Pathfinder window.... you need to make sure the back shape is a single shape, not a compound shape... click Ctrl+Y to see the outline view...

Its pretty simple once you get it down

Or you can Outline the original text to make it a shape > Create Outline.... then with the text selected, you can Offset Path with a negative value to get another path thats inside the original text...

Scaling it wont work as its doing a proportional scale, scaling all values the same... you need to Offset the paths

Ok, maybe I didn't givve a good problem statement. It should have been "When sending my AI art to Signcut, I loose the enlarging of the letter (by increase brush stroke). Since amv101 taught me about Ctrl Y, the image that goes to signcut looks like the letter when you push Ctrl Y.

Your continued support is greatly appreciated as it seems like such a simple thing to do, But I can't do it!

Stokes are not considered "outlines". Its an effect in AI. You have to "Expand Appearence" to create outlines from stroke....

Also, it may be easier to just "Offset Path" with a positive or negative value, depending on your deisred look.... make sure the text is already outlines... "Create Outlines"

> Select TLive Text > Create Outlines

There are a few ways to do it...

Guest Terry

AMV is correct, but if you just want an offset... Simply cut the same number ( twice ) with a different color vinyl then apply it offset over the first number.

Terry