vicentillo29

1000 dollar job

hey guys what do you think about this job i did for my boss he charge 1,080 bucks yes 1,080 dollar for this "medical clinic" foam letters 12" tall 12 foot long 1 " thick and the decals on the front door including installation that took me 2 hours to complete. the pictures are small but you can see the job.

post-5231-12986542209825_thumb.jpg

post-5231-12986542210085_thumb.jpg

post-5231-12986542229239_thumb.jpg

post-5231-1298654222934_thumb.jpg

What!?  I'm brand new to the biz, but that price sounds absolutely insane!  The decal looks great, but how the heck did he manage to convince somebody that it was worth $1,080?  Did they even shop around at all?

I must be missing something here.

What!?  I'm brand new to the biz, but that price sounds absolutely insane!  The decal looks great, but how the heck did he manage to convince somebody that it was worth $1,080?  Did they even shop around at all?

I think you are missing this ? Great job by the way See Photo Medical Clinic

foam letters 12" tall 12 foot long 1 " thick

I think you are missing this ?  See Photo Medical Clinic

foam letters 12" tall 12 foot long 1 " thick

Oh I totally missed that!  Now it all makes sense.. great work!

we use the plotter to draw a pattern of the letters and then apply slightly spray glue on the paper and stickit to the foam (dont put to much you will burn the face of the letter just enough to hold the paper) and then hand cut them out of 1 " polyhurethane foam 4' x 8' and then i use regular latex paint ,to install the letters first make another pattern and cut little holes on the edge of each letter like corners etc..measure the wall ,center the pattern and remember the little holes pounce chalk powder against the letters then remove or cut each paper letter and on the back of the foam letter put double stick tape to it  and put silicone lines and install the foam letter. if i forget something let me know...

post-5231-12986542348178_thumb.jpg

post-5231-12986542359765_thumb.jpg

we use the plotter to draw a pattern of the letters and then apply slightly spray glue on the paper and stickit to the foam (dont put to much you will burn the face of the letter just enough to hold the paper) and then hand cut them out of 1 " polyhurethane foam 4' x 8' and then i use regular latex paint ,to install the letters first make another pattern and cut little holes on the edge of each letter like corners etc..measure the wall ,center the pattern and remember the little holes pounce chalk powder against the letters then remove or cut each paper letter and on the back of the foam letter put double stick tape to it  and put silicone lines and install the foam letter. if i forget something let me know...

Double stick tape!?  Oh man, I don't see that lasting very long, but that's probably why you used silicone as well.

Very cool process, and thanks for sharing!  I might have to try something like this just for the hell of it.  Any idea what kind of foam was used?

Oh, and I thought of something while reading your process.  You warned against using too much spray adhesive because it would damage the foam.  If you did a mirror image of the design and worked from the back, you would never come in contact with the front of the letters so there would be no risk in damaging them at all.  Seems like it'd make sense, right?  Just a thought..  :bear:

i wrote polyhurethane foam sorry thats not what we use on this job we use styrofoam.... yep and thats another idea but if you dont take good care of the face ( face facing down you will make dings or could scratch it) and also the double stick tape is just to hold the letter while the silicone dryes. and i like the white double stick tape.

Great Job  :huh:

As a side note, silicone and tape may not be enough to hold the foam letters up. 

Another trick is to run a screw down through the top of the letters, at an angle, and into the substraight/wall.

Muttley

Guest Schramm

I can order those letters out of SignCraft mag for like $175 - I would say what he got including installation is more then fair!

So the letters are just 1" styrofoam painted with latex and siliconed/taped to the fascia?  No offense, but that seems really fragile, it wouldn't take much to destroy styrofoam letters, wind, debris, etc.

They are fragile i remember a few years ago someone was selling and installing foam letters here factory made most had glitter paint on the face they have selfdestruct over the years a much better option is formed letters in plastic or metal letters but the customer is allways right and wont pay the difference most of the time so they get what they pay for. I will be installing a set of formed plastic letters tomorrow on a church.

Dan

I put formed plastic letters on a sign at my day job a year ago. prior to getting into the sign business. 8" letters 2 rows, and one row of 2" letters, with 3/4" standoffs, retail was over $1200. and I installed them. They did give me a really neat template though.

Kevin

Get Hardcoat @ Paint Store.........and use HDU. will last a long time....I also use x

scooter board......www.scooter.com  cut letters from this and use stand offs. I get them at Gemmi