firemalt

I need, I need, I need...

And Peggy... you're not the type of person I'm referring to. It's the people who either come here JUST for graphics, or are too damn lazy to learn how to vectorize a picture themselves.

I have NO problem helping out someone who posts a picture, and their attempt at vectorizing it, but still need some help... that atleast shows they trying.

I am late to this party, but this is the exact reason I don't come around as much as I use to....SO MANY of the posts are just people wanting graphics.  And yeah, once in a great while when I know something exists I will ask, but about 98% of the time I find it already somewhere on the forum or vector it myself.

What people HAVE to realize when they ask someone to vectorize something, is that sometimes its 3 clicks and its done, but alot of times you spend 20 minutes or more making it look right.  That time adds up...and quick, and we get nothing for it.

I am relatively new to cutting (6 months now, bought my cutter in february) and had never vectorized before....but now I think i am pretty good at it.  I also posted a couple video tutorials after some people helped me to learn inkscape...apparently I need to post a couple more but i have been so busy lately I haven't had time.  How I LEARNED was going to the graphics and vectorizing forums and trying to duplicate what the masters were doing...taking an image and tracing or vectorizing it, and then comparing it to what the guys who had been doing it for awhile got.  I would spend 2-3 hours a night every night (drove my wife nuts for awhile) till I got it down and it took me a couple months to get good at it.

The point is....if you are trying to learn how to vectorize....make your attempt at it and post your results, and ask for your help and I will guarantee you people will line up to help you out.  Treat this forum like it should be treated, for a place for people to learn, not a place to get your work done for you.  It really bothers me sometimes that the vectorizing and graphic request forums are chocked full of people asking for free work, and the places like the inkscape forum where most of these people should be going and asking questions to learn sit empty.

/rant off

Guest kenya

Well said tl...... in the beginning we all have trouble learning something new.

But vectorizing takes time. I too, spent hours trying & trying to teach myself.

Every now & then, I still can't get one just right- but I TRY first.

Look at all 51 pages of Vectorizing Help, you see so many REPEAT beggars.

Not being harsh, but learn your programs .......... this place may not be here one day, then what will you do?

Firemalt,

That's a good point to make so we don;'t alienate the new comers. Peggy your not even close to the type of person that we are referring to. The everage person that comes inhere after getting their cutter has no idea what a vector graphic is. Let alone how to edit/trace or create one. But MOST will eventually get it, and figure out how to at the very least vectorize simple graphics. I have been doing it for 6 months and I still have graphics that baffle me.

I am not an expert by any means, but I can get by. No one in here has a problem helping people who make an effort. Myself personally I have even less of a problem helping the enthusiast than I do the businessman. I can understand if your wanting to make a onesy for your grandson, and that's pretty much what you use your cutter for, and not learning all the graphics ins and outs. But if you in business to sell vinyl and make money, and your in here every day requesting graphics to sell, then it's your responsibility to learn how to do it.

I have heard quotes where someone was SO busy they didn't have time to vectorize. In that case, your taking on work your not capable of doing and trying to get your work done for free by others who have taken time to learn this.

New people will need help, period.. and that's what the help forums are for. But at some point you stop being new and your help list should be reduce dramatically if you are willing to put the effort in. I still request vector help occasionally and probably will for a while. sometimes you have to. But at the same time I try to help others in the same manner.

Kevin

I had to interject this into this thread. I just finished showing my 10 year old son how to download a graphic from the web; use Inkscape to trace and convert to eps; import the eps into SBE and cut. I weeded it and he applied the tape and then applied the decal on one of his notebooks by himself.

Here is the image he chose and the vector.

Charlie

post-4248-12986542913023_thumb.gif

spongebob2.eps

post-4248-12986542922708_thumb.gif

spongebob2.eps

I had to interject this into this thread. I just finished showing my 10 year old son how to download a graphic from the web; use Inkscape to trace and convert to eps; import the eps into SBE and cut. I weeded it and he applied the tape and then applied the decal on one of his notebooks by himself.

Here is the image he chose and the vector.

Charlie

now if a 10 year old can do it :thumbsup:?:thumbsup:

there is alot more that can but they are just to lazy to learn to ....

thanks charlie for sharing

Actually, I wasn't doing it for ths forum. My son has been failing miserably at math in school. He knows the material - he's just isn't intersted enough to get into the work. I sat down with him and explained that math is critical in any business. And, if he would maintain an A / B average in math, I would teach him how to use the software and give him full access to the vinyl and cutter. I also told him that, once he proves that he is responsible enough, I would let him make and sell decals to his friends for cash. I'm hoping that will motivate him. I know he spent several hours last night online looking for Star Wars images (he is a huge fan of all things Lucas).

Charlie

I have been doing something similar with my yougest daughter. I come up with a new design. I cut it, she weeds, and help assemble them and then she sells them to friends or anyone she knows. She get's a percentage of the profit for her efforts. She has been doing really good, and just about an hour ago, a lady that works at the local walmart, stopped me and asked if the decal her daughter bought could be made into some shirts for her family to wear to the football games.So it's helping my business grow too.

Kudos on the work ethic your building in your son, every little bit helps.

Kevin

people are lazy in today's world we live in thats why if you look in the vectorizing section under teach em to fish lesson 1 their are only a dozen or so people who have tried the lesson we need more newcomers to try it before asking someone to do it for them quit waiting for a handout (most of the problem's in the world now) and learn to take care of your own stuff sorry for the rant.