Sign in to follow this  
Brandon_Davis

Roland Makes A Pretty Mean Cutter

Roland is an excellent manufacturer... I really enjoy their products and appreciate their style and zest. I have been quickly introduced as of late to the Roland product line and I am simply very impressed. I would love to have some great Roland discussions, anyone ready to talk Roland with me?

Guest fivestar

I can say their SC-500 printer/cutter contour cuts beautifully and very very very very simple with Flexi Pro.  I've got a Graphtec cutter but have never tried to contour cut with it yet.

Guest sciondrgn

Is USCutter going to start selling Roland machines?

Also Please fix the template style on these two forums you just added.. It's very "sloppy" when you jump from template to template because someone didn't set it up right

We sell all of their printers, cutters, and their combo printer/cutters (Versacamm)...

yeah,just follow the link above that I posted.

Brandon,

I run 2 here, a CAMM-1 PNC-1000 and CAMM-1 PNC-1100.  The PNC-1000 I bought about 20 years ago and the only thing I have ever done to it is replace the blades.  The PNC-1100 I bought secondhand, so I don't know too much about it, it works well and does all my wider work, and any small off cut stuff.   I have never had a single problem with either Roland, and they just seem so much more robust and built stronger than anything else on the market.

Joe

Thanks Brandon,

I worked in the film industry as a lighting technician (Gaffer) and set building, and found there was a lot of last minute changing of signs on sets.  So I bought the Roland too be able to cut anything that was needed in a hurry.  Realising the demand, and from there I setup an overnight service cutting signage exclusively for the film industry charging a hefty fee for anything cut after hours.  Then the lighting side of the business took off and I put the sign cutting on hold for a few years.  Since then I've found the Roland to be a very reliable, sturdy, no nonsense cutter. Having often thought of a second cutter as back up, I thought long and hard about buying a cheaper machine, thinking that it would only be for backup so quality wouldn't be an issue, but always had my concerns?.  When I saw a second-hand PNC-1100 advertised I couldn't resist it.  Brandon I can't talk on any other machine because, I've never used anything else, but a Graphtec has always appealed too me, and it would have been my second choice.  But I'm happy and sure the two Roland's will last a lot longer than me.

Joe

I've had my GS-24 exactly one day and I am in love. The thing is so smart compared to the LP-24. The LP is great for a budget cutter with a stepper motor, and I've done tons with it, but I needed a pro machine now that my sticker business has legs. The GS-24 is phenomenal. Weeding is much easier now too....and I didn't even realize that it could size a piece of vinyl on its own. I laughed when I realized this. The thing is like HAL9000, only much nicer (it opens the pod bay doors whenever asked). 

• Like 3

Spacepod you're experiencing what many of us did when we made the leap. The "....Oh.......huh?.....WOW!" I still believe anyone starting out with a budget model will have a leg up down the road due to the lessons learned necessary to turn out passable work with the steppers and bad tracking. Once you go quality you wonder why you waited so long. 

• Like 1

Spacepod you're experiencing what many of us did when we made the leap. The "....Oh.......huh?.....WOW!" I still believe anyone starting out with a budget model will have a leg up down the road due to the lessons learned necessary to turn out passable work with the steppers and bad tracking. Once you go quality you wonder why you waited so long. 

Indeed. I had to work hard sometimes to get what I wanted out of the LP24, and contour cutting was like a mixture of voodoo and a mystical incantation that was so inconsistent that I had to find various kludges to work around it. 

I'm still learning the nuances of the Roland...like being able to cut with a roll without having to pre-measure the vinyl...and contour cutting is a mountain waiting to be climbed. Also, Roland's cutting software is a bit primitive but at least I have a way to use Illustrator to send files over...not that I am good at it yet. :D

But, the actual cutting...phenomenal. Easier weeding makes big jobs easier for sure, and no cutting errors at all.