Sign in to follow this  
loren

App tape removing paint...

Seems like I sure am having a bit of trouble with app tape.. this is like my 3rd app tape topic in the past day or so!

Anyway, I bought a blank sheet metal (zinc coated?) sign from Home Depot just to try sign making for fun.  Spray painted the sign with outdoor flat white paint.  Spray can said it's made for metal, outdoors, etc, so I figured it was good.  Did 2-3 coats, let it dry for about 5 hours.

Spent hours upon hours and numerous tries getting the graphic right (machine kept messing up... argh!) and got it right on the 4th or 5th attempt cutting... Weeded it all out (lots of tiny stuff!), put on the app tape (RTape AT60 clear), lined up and applied to sign. Pulled off app tape and BAM!  ... Bits of paint came right off with the app tape!  MY HOURS AND HOURS OF WORK WASTED!  Only specs of paint came off - nothing major - but it's definitely noticeable and it doens't look to great.

What did I do wrong!?  I'm guessing its probably a combination of things, starting with the sign material.  Shoulda gone with aluminum, huh?

:)

Did you roughen up the panel with sand paper or a scouring pad? Paint generally wont stick to very smooth surfaces.

Or next time, maybe try the wet method, less tacky.

Guest kenya

+1............... I agree with X, roughen it up first.

I also use primer and let it dry overnight. Then apply 2-3- coats of paint, allowing several hours inbetween coats.

I would've did some light sanding between coats of paint. What kind of spray paint did you use? (I know you said it was for metal, but I'm curious to know the brand ... in case I need to stay away from it.)

I would've did some light sanding between coats of paint. What kind of spray paint did you use? (I know you said it was for metal, but I'm curious to know the brand ... in case I need to stay away from it.)

I used RustOleum "Painter's Touch".  I think it's the same as regular RustOleum, though - the only reason I got this one was because it was in the color that I needed.  Obviously it's a trusted brand and I'm sure many of you guys use it, so I am going to have to say that this one was 100% user error!

Sanding sounds like a good idea... can't believe I didn't think of that before I started!  I am going to wait a few hours between coats as well.

What Firemalt said about cleaning the surface - and the others advice to scuff the surface to give the coating some "tooth" would have helped you.  In painting hard to prime surfaces like plastic parts on cars I use an adhesion promoter - one brand that works well is Bulldog Adhesion Promoter - you can get it at WallMart in Aerosol cans.  I would get a pack of the grey scotchbrite type pads to use for scuffing.  The problem you had was probably from some lingering oils from the manufacture of your sheet.

-Mike

Instead of sandpaper, use the RED Scotchbrite scuff pads (7447 or 7747), you can get them at any auto parts store, they are kind of like a Green Scotbrite pad, but they are designed to prep a surface for paint. Sandpaper on the thin coatings on sign panels or bare aluminum can sometimes leave sanding marks that you have to go back and sand out. These just scruff the finish and remove the gloss.

Kevin

Hey Xtreme ,

What is the " wet weed " method ?

Keep us informed if you read or hear any more info about SB or it's replacement ( thanks  :) )

It's not just the roughing up. Paint has a problem sticking to zinc coated surfaces.

I figured that might have been part of the problem. hm.

If the sheet metal was indeed zinc coated a quick wipe down with vinegar will clean it of the oils and lightly etch the galvanizing. It works wonders.  I would think that five hours of drying may have been pushing it a little as well.

The paint coming off is due to a poor paint job, bad prep ect

This happens on vehicles who have been "backyard painted" because they haven't had proper prep or finishing in a heated booth/area for long enough

Hey Xtreme ,

What is the " wet weed " method ?

Keep us informed if you read or hear any more info about SB or it's replacement ( thanks  ;D )

Wet weed? - no idea  ;D

Wet method as in applying the vinyl with water & soap

I thought that was a typo & you meant wet application , but thought I might learn a new trick .  ;D

Spray paint is probably always going to pull up with app tape, unless you apply it wet.  All the other posts about prepping the surface are correct, but, in the end, it's still spray paint.  I would recommend letting it dry for at least a week as well for better results.

If you really want professional results, you are going to have to get it painted the right way with primer and a lacquer or enamel on an uncoated substrate.

Get duplicolor, Its how i get my xbox 360 cases to look like this 

Picture007.jpg Its good stuff you'll find it at any automotive place..