BigDaddyChris

The Coolest Weeding Tool EVER!

My favorite over the years has been this double-sided tool  ---  one end an xacto knife blade, the other a pick.

https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/StandardWeedingTool

There are many good options for weeding tools, and the best advice here is ----   'to each his own' ----  use the item you feel most comfortable with.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cordell-Designs said:

I just use a sewing needle.......

Sounds like you'll be looking around for it frequently, as it rolls right off the table, or gets stuck into vinyl scraps, or otherwise vanishes mysteriously! Inserting that needle into the end of a short wood dowel would result in the tool featured on USCUTTER site (see above).

I have been using sewing/darning needles since I started. 2006. They work great.  They fit perfect in my fingers, and pick up small details of vinyl perfect.  I do a lot of very detailed designs.   I have them in the nice tomato pin cushion. Always available, sticking out of the pin cushion,  They don't roll anywhere.  Very handy. :D.  I have one of those tools above. It's not suitable for what I do. And I don't like holding it in my fingers.  Needles are much sharper, and if they get dull, toss it and get a new one.  A pack of needles doesn't cost much. 

• Like 1

x-acto knife here - when I have to put a new blade in I drop it tip first on some steel or aluminum a couple of times to take just a little off the tip - works great

On 1/9/2020 at 10:29 AM, slice&dice said:

Sounds like you'll be looking around for it frequently, as it rolls right off the table, or gets stuck into vinyl scraps, or otherwise vanishes mysteriously! Inserting that needle into the end of a short wood dowel would result in the tool featured on USCUTTER site (see above).

Never looking for it, when I'm not using it at the moment, I put the dull end between my teeth and hold it until I need the needle again. When I'm not using them at all, they stay in a pin cushion as MZ Skeeter mentioned. The wooden dowel / tool you mention doesn't work for me, I like the control I have over everything when I've got my fingers close to my work (small detailed work). It's just the way I've always done it and always will. Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, just saying how I do it and giving an option. 

I am a tweezer kind of guy. I have a large pair I bought from USC that works great on adhesive vinyl but for HTV which I do 95% of the time now I have these customer ground machinist tweezers. They are custom cut from some sort of hardened spring steel. They a little aggressive for regular adhesive vinyl but for heat transfer they do a really great job of grabbing hold and pulling it up off the sticky carrier. You grab them with your fingers up on the wide part of the triangular tip and it gives you a LOT of pinching force. Made specifically to dig out metal slivers the machinist guys get in the shop. My girls think they're the best thing since ice-cream for plucking eyebrows and such so they wander off a lot. I have bought several pairs. Not cheap at $25 each but like any good tool are worth every penny. When I can't find them I get really grumpy.

Tweezers.JPG

• Like 1

Wildgoose, you got a link to them?  I prefer tweezers as well but the couple pair I have can be lacking in the grip department.  And searching Amazon for something like this can be a nightmare... 

3 hours ago, Wilson said:

Wildgoose, you got a link to them?  I prefer tweezers as well but the couple pair I have can be lacking in the grip department.  And searching Amazon for something like this can be a nightmare... 

I will PM you about them. 

I was going to ask the same about a link for the machinist tweezers. ive never seen those before. and I used to work in a machine shop. I purchased a tool kit from US Cutter yrs ago with my cutter. came with a selection of tools, some were mentioned in this thread. i tried several but ending up weeding with the sharper tweezers with the angle tip.

WG, I'd be interested in one of those too!  I usually use an Xacto.

Most tweezers I have tried get bent tips after a bit.

Sue

Ok so they are currently out of stock at my normal supply shop and he is moving his business so it could be a little bit before they come available again. It's a convoluted situation with his supplier who has been an older retired gentleman who hand ground these and he hasn't been able to contact, as in possibly retired permanent but I will post some info as soon as I can get it figured out. In the meantime I am working another angle which should prove fruitful. 

• Like 2

Definitely interested in some of these tweezers, I work on cellphones too and these would be handy, all the tweezers I've found, the tips bend quickly and are never the same.

• Like 1