Sign in to follow this  
BLKSUNSHINE

ORACAL 631 series.... (difficulties) lately?

I've been using ORACAL 631 series material and absolutely love how the cutter cuts the vinyl..

Lately, customers have been complaining about how hard it is to get the vinyl to stick to the application tape.. even after using a hair dryer on the back and rubbing the back of the vinyl.. I've notice it myself.. it's like the bonding agent is sticking when it should peel with ease...

I'm cutting in my basement where it's cool.. temps are 65-70 degree.. not too hot, not humid.. but maybe some moisture..

Anyone else experience this issue? (Again, It cuts great, it's just getting the vinyl to stick to the application tape)

I upgraded the application tape to the 4076-RLA to see if that may help with my issue.

Any comments would be welcome and appreciated.

Kevin  :)

Kevin called in and talked to me about this issue, my suggestion was that in fact moisture was activating the vinyl and that it may be a good idea to surround the vinyl with some kind of paper-towel like material and then sandwhich it with cardboard for sending in the mail... Anyone have any other suggestions for him?

you didn't say what app tape you were using before, but if it's 4075, it doesn't stick worth a darn, 4076 works somewhat ok but you have to be careful when removing the app tape from teh wall on fine details stuff, it tends to pull the vinyl back off. I tried the clear AT-60 and it was hit and miss with it.

Oracal just released the HT-55 which is supposed to be especially for 631 wall vinyl but I haven't got any of it yet to test it. Don't know if UScutter is selling this yet or not.

Kevin

I'm pretty sure the difficulties with 631 are due to its matte surface, which means it's rough, and apptape doesnt have as much surface area to grab. 

I would try a high-tack tape, but, like Kevin says, then you have to deal with getting the fine details to stick to the wall..

Cutting depth can cause this too. If you cut into the backing paper it makes difficult to get the vinyl off.