midwaste

Another boat

A boat I did this weekend.  Oracal 851/951 metallic, really nice vinyl.  I did the drop shadow wet, which was a mistake.  I hate wet app.  I just kept squeegeeing and it still wouldnt stick.  It finally came off..

post-2583-12986541885122_thumb.jpg

post-2583-12986541904208_thumb.jpg

Mid,

I found with boat gel coats that they are a pain sometimes.  The combo that I found that works is Clean with Simple Green ( I know everyone says avoid it) but it cleans crap off Gel that nothing else will. Then wipe it down with "3M 8984 General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner", then finally with a little Alcohol. You can then do a perfect wet app every time. What I found on boats more than anything, is even when they look clean there is a small calcium like water deposit film that most cleaners will not remove. the combo i use here still doesn't get 100% of it but makes it way better.

This works for me anyway.

Nice Boat name too,  looks great. I just named mine but haven't had a chance to put the pictures up here yet.

Kevin

looks really nice midwaste.

I did a boat a few weeks ago for my boss of all people - unfortunately i still have a 9 to 5 i have to go to =( 

anyways, i hated it.  between the water rocking the boat and the awkwardness of getting to to where he wanted

the decal to be, it took a lot longer than I anticipated.  I also applied it wet.  Unfortunately though something came up and we had to leave just as I got it positioned into place!  He went back two days later, peeled of the app tape and it was good to go.

I think the next time i do a boat, it'll have to be when it's out of the water!

That came out good, must have been fun dealing with the grab handle...

Mid,

I found with boat gel coats that they are a pain sometimes.  The combo that I found that works is Clean with Simple Green ( I know everyone says avoid it) but it cleans crap off Gel that nothing else will. Then wipe it down with "3M 8984 General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner", then finally with a little Alcohol. You can then do a perfect wet app every time. What I found on boats more than anything, is even when they look clean there is a small calcium like water deposit film that most cleaners will not remove. the combo i use here still doesn't get 100% of it but makes it way better.

Nice Boat name too,  looks great. I just named mine but haven't had a chance to put the pictures up here yet.

Kevin

We scrubbed it with some dish soap, then I wiped it very well with some Dena Alcohol.  I don't think that was the problem, I just hate wet apps.  I think it's just a patience problem on my end..

Getting behind the grab handle wasnt too bad, I just hinged it right below and went nice-and-easy around it.

My knees were a little sore for awhile after kneeling on the swim platform..

Thanks all

Love wet app, hate making myself wait 30 minutes to an hour after squeegeeing the heck outta it to remove the app tape.....but thats how I get the best results, so its what I do most of the time. 

If I ever have to do like a single wet app though, you can bet I am bringing my heat gun to speed up the drying process.

Mid,

Kevin

We scrubbed it with some dish soap, then I wiped it very well with some Dena Alcohol.  I don't think that was the problem, I just hate wet apps.  I think it's just a patience problem on my end..

Getting behind the grab handle wasnt too bad, I just hinged it right below and went nice-and-easy around it.

Thanks all

That would explain why it didnt work out well for me... I didn't wait nearly that long before I got antsy and wanted to be done and gone.

Guest kenya

Looks wonderful midwaste !!!

Great job.  :)

Guest kenya

Can you download them from that link?

Yes. Click on the word download in blue. Another window will open, then do the same (click on the word "download" in blue).

After that window opens, click on "Save".

I use one of those foam rubber pads people use for gardening... Saves the knee's