memories

Cutting double lines

When I import a line drawing from online it cuts a single line, which is what I want.  When I try to scan something in it cuts a double outline of the image.  I have tried using fine line pens for the drawings I scan in and the same thing happens.  How do I scan in original art without getting a double cut out each time?  Thanks for any advice.

Sara

It sounds like there are 2 copies of it . Move 1 & delete that copy . ;)

Thought the same thing, but I already tried that to fix the problem.  Thanks for your thoughts.  I am kinda stumped on this one.

Each edge of the line is a path, when you scan it the black line turns in to a path on each side of the line? Zoom in while in node view.

Sorry I didn't get back to this until now.  I will post some images to explain what I mean later today.  The thing is something as simply a single line drawing of a heart still is cutting as double lines.

Here are some screen captures of what my problem is.  Please excuse the snowman sketch I just wanted to do something simple to use as an example.  :( 

If this were a project I would need this image to be cut in a single line following the lines drawn in the image below.

snowmanscan.jpg

When I send this scan to corel draw x4 to trace, or try to vectorize it in signblazer, I get the double lines as shown below.  This image is shown in wireframe, however, this is exactly how the cutter is producing the cut tile.

doublelines.jpg

When I use something that has already been vectorized online, that I can simply paste into signblazer and send straight to the cutter it, it works fine.  The problem only occurs when I try to scan in or upload original drawings.  This make is obvious the problem is with me and not the cutter or software.  lol  I just want to figure this out.  I am embarassed to admit how many hours I have spent trying to sort this out.

I hope somebody has a simple solutions for this, because I've had the same problem.  Client sent me a sketch to make a stencil - took me FOREVER to edit the nodes and elimiate the second line.

I really don't see the problem with that cut scheme. When you sketch something, the lines are a certain width. and to make them out of vinyl you have to cut both sides of that line to make it visible. Unless your just wanting an outline of the image. in you snowman scenario, you could do it two ways. Remove all the vinyl around the lines. this leaves a trace like image of your snowman. Or remove the actual, called a reverse weed. the you have a reverse image of you snowman.

If you draw say a simple circle with a pen. Then scan and trace it. It is going to create two traces/paths, one for each side of the pencil line. there will be one path on the inside and one  path on the outside. That is how vector tracing works. If you are just wanting a solid filled circle from that scanned image. then once you vectorize it. You need to go into node edit and remove the inner circle. this will leave one path outside, and fill the inside when you done.

kevin

I have a hard time explaining why I need a single line.  It is for airbrushing.  Think of it kinda like a mask if you were working with photo shop.  I need the single line cut.  I wish I could put this into words.  Before I got the cutter I used frisket and a razor knife to cut the lines.  For what I am doing I really do need just a single cut line following the lines in my drawing.  When at the PPG airbrushing classes as well as ASET they used a summa cutter and the free cutting software offered by summa to do what I am trying to replicate.  I didn't have the money for the summa cutter and went with a cheaper one and the signblazer software.  I may just need to upgrade to get the results I require.  The reason I thought it could be achieved with my setup is that when I have a vectorized image, say for instance, something I grabbed from google search, it works perfectly and cuts the single line.  I just really need to figure it out when I have to vectorize it myself.  There has got to be a step or something I am missing....

When you cut 1 line , there is nothing to weed except the whole inside of the image or the vinyl outside of the image ( if the ends of the cut meets ) . Is that what you want ? Or are you wanting to create something like a mask where you have an opening ( like a 1/4 " opening to pinstripe etc ) :( I don't think it is clear what you want as a finished product .

If I am understanding it right,  they want the design reversed,  Where it is cut out and weeded away. ,, is solid. and will stay there.  .  where paths are,   will be gone. and weeded away.  ,,,  am I close?  Thus making a stencil of the snowman , where his coat, hat and scarf and other areas would be solid.

This clarifies things for me.  What the original poster wants, probably can't be done easily. It will take a lot of node editing.

I think I have it,, very ez  takes few seconds, bring your design up in wire frame,  now just delete all nodes on the very outside of your whole design,  it reverses it.   like in my picture shown,  I pulled the angel in  and look the very outside line off all the way around the design   took seconds to do.  Then you have your solid.. 

post-3093-12986542817967_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986542826794_thumb.jpg

I'm still unsure , guess we will know better when the OP responds  :D . What Kevin  ( Sarconastic ) last posted is true . Do you want a 1 color object like is in SignBlazer's library ( click & drag onto the workspace ) That is what I think the OP wants  ( Hmmm or the EXACT opposite to use as a stencil , reverse weed etc ) We will get on the same page  :(

I wanted to thank everyone for the time they spent and ideas!  My computer has had a mini meltdown and is going into the shop for repairs.  It may be a few days before I get back to this thread.  I have a friend who is using corel and signblazer to cut the way I am needing to.  I am going to spend some time with him next week and see exactly what he is doing.  Then I will come back and post with what I have figured out.  I didn't want you guys to feel like I had ignored you after you had given me so much time. 

Thanks!

I just read through this and at first couldn't see what was wrong with the traced snowman either.  The use for airbrushing makes it clear -- for that you don't make the design from a single color material and weed away what isn't part of the design.  The image is cut on a masking material and then the parts you want for the color you are working with are "weeded" and the paint or dye is applied - after drying the weeded part is put back and another area "weeded" to expose the parts for an additional color.

I don't know how to do this - hope this helps somebody who has more experience understand what is needed and show us how it could be done.

-Mike

Don't worry, memories, we will be here and will be glad to help.

But I think once your in a room with someone who knows the software and you can show what you need. it will be come apparent right away. Please be sure to post pictures of your final stencil here so others may learn from it too.

Kevin

I have been on mission lately to debug a problem I had with parts of my file not being cut.

In summary, it wasn't static or memory but more likely Signcut Pro.

I have a US Cutter Refine MH 721. I running XP and CorelDraw X4. I was using Signcut Pro but was having difficulties on larger file size cuts. It would skip over large portions. Sometimes it would just misbehave. So I grounded everything, didn't fix it. I bought the larger memory, didn't fix it. I installed Signblazer 6.05, fixed. Not exactly sure what the root cause is but has to do with how data is being transfered to the plotter.

Signblazer 6.05 does not have the Refine drivers but I'm using RedSail RS720C which is working very well (note: The DMPL driver worked by the scaling was slightly larger than actual size (1"x1" was more like (1.01" x 1.01")).

After all this research, I decided to make it more simple for newbies. If you want the latest and best version of Signblazer Elements with a crack that gets rid of trial mode, visit www.mystat.com and scroll down to the bottom.

We added a helpful user guide for MH series cutters that addresses memory upgrading, grounding issues, loud printing, rip software and others:

http://www.mystat.com/user-guide-tips-fixes-uscutter-mh.pdf

cheers.

I have been on mission lately to debug a problem I had with parts of my file not being cut.

In summary, it wasn't static or memory but more likely Signcut Pro.

I have a US Cutter Refine MH 721. I running XP and CorelDraw X4. I was using Signcut Pro but was having difficulties on larger file size cuts. It would skip over large portions. Sometimes it would just misbehave. So I grounded everything, didn't fix it. I bought the larger memory, didn't fix it. I installed Signblazer 6.05, fixed. Not exactly sure what the root cause is but has to do with how data is being transfered to the plotter.

Signblazer 6.05 does not have the Refine drivers but I'm using RedSail RS720C which is working very well (note: The DMPL driver worked by the scaling was slightly larger than actual size (1"x1" was more like (1.01" x 1.01")).

After all this research, I decided to make it more simple for newbies. If you want the latest and best version of Signblazer Elements with a crack that gets rid of trial mode, visit www.mystat.com and scroll down to the bottom.

cheers.

I can see how this is pertinent to this thread blink.gif

Great, more spam...

Memories, you can do what you need in Corel X4. I do that kind of trace for airbrush stencills and understand what you're looking for. Now, I can't speak from experience because I have Corel X3, but I understand they brought back the feature in Corel Trace for "Center Line" tracing. It was removed in X3 so I still use my old Corel 11 tracing program for this. Obviously I can't tell you where to find it because I don't have it, but check your tracing options and look for "center line". That will give you the simple single line outline you need, as long as the graphic is compatible, as your snowman would be.

I can see how this is pertinent to this thread blink.gif

Dak , Hilarious . Now that it is a helpful post ( s ) instead of spam ( I was wondering since the exact post was posted in many threads ) ... I still am a bit amazed ... It is a helpful gesture.. but the poster asks for limited responses etc in the thread they started ... they seem to be a bit hypocritical having posted this in some threads . An old saying comes to mind " Do as I say instead of as I do "