Sign in to follow this  
CDP

Did I get the right blades?

My second post! Been cutting for a few months now and love it.

Anyway, I ordered new blades from USCutter and what I ordered were 60 degree blades. I put a new blade in and it started cutting jagged lines rather than nice clean lines. After a good bit of wasted vinyl and changing the pressure, etc., I pulled the new blade and replaced it with the old. It is now cutting nice straight lines, but the blade isn't sharp. When looking at the blades side by side they look different. I don't see anything on the package except for .25 offset. How can I tell if I have 60 degree blades? Would a different degree blade cause the machine to cut jagged lines (and at one point tear up a sheet of vinyl)?

Thanks!!

Guest sciondrgn

The machine comes with 45 degree blades and 60 degree blades are for finer detail or thicker material.

I personally use 60 degree blades all the time without any problems.. Make sure the blade is just barely sticking out and try upping the pressure a bit to get rid of the chatter

That blade should litterally be out just enough to feel if you run your finger acorss the end of the blade holder... I too enjoy constant use of the 60 degree variety, however 45's work very well for standard cutting... The most important thing is make sure your software has been properly adjusted for Blade Offset (.25)

Getting back to the OP's question, is there a visual difference between a 45 degree blade and a 60 degree blade?

Thanks

yes there is but you need very good eyes or a magnifying glass to see it.

see for yourself on these Summa blades. Same on the Roland:

_5x_New_30_45_60_degree_BLADES_SUMMA_D_Vinyl_Plotter_Cutter.jpg

Yea, I'm checking out some pictures on google of blades that are sitting next to one another side by side.  It's pretty easy to see the differences when they're zoomed in right next to each other but to just pick one up, hold it up to the light and say "Oh yea..that's a 45..." or "That's a 60..."  I suppose that's something that develops over time.

One thing...it is possible to get a bad blade. I had the exact same experience as you awhile back. Whewn I had a good look at the blade, it was very obviously pitted. But the other 2 in the pack were fine.

Thanks for all of the replies!

First of all I have a Laser Point 24" cutter. I misplaced this thread, sorry.

I am at this moment still having troubles. I did NOT have the blade offset to .25 and I may have never set it before...not sure. I have cut quite a bit of vinyl since I bought the cutter with great results using the original blades that came with the cutter. I changed the blades as I felt they were getting dull, but I am new and could have thrown away good blades. I feel I have learned to adjust the blade and set the pressure pretty well, but I have been playing with it for a few nights now and am getting various results depending on what I cut. Pressure set between 119-130 and blade just barely sticking out and I will get a few good cuts on larger items but it gets bad on anything with detail, chattering and not smooth, straight lines. I am pretty sure when I had the blades that came with the cutter I was using about 121 pressure. All vinly has been Oracal 651.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions! I am hoping some 45 degree blades will get me back on track.

ok just so you know a few details about blades and cutting. If you exchange a new 45 or 60 degree blade for a worn out one, or for ANY reason, you HAVE to reset the blade depth, they will NOT be the same.

Chattering is usually caused by a combo of things. 1st blade out to far, Not enough pressure, Too Much Speed.

What appears to be a good cut on large items to you may in fact not be a good cut. If you read the entire Laserpoint forum you will find several setup tips a bunch of in here have done that will make your machine cut like a dream. If your small cuts are not very good then you large ones are off but your like I was, and haven't seen REALLY good cuts yet. It will come.

That being said, you must set your offset to get anywhere close to decent closed cuts on small items. In SignBlazer you goto the Cutter screen then to Setup and on that screen is a place for blade offset. Use .25 to start, do some test cuts from Signblazer make small adjustments and recut till it's perfect. The offset in the software does not adjust the test cut button on the machine itself.

Good Luck

Kevin

Guest JogaShop

Where do i get 60 degree blades for the PCUT creation at an affordable price - i have a regular holder not the roland one

UScutterdirect sells them for a resonable price? :bear: if the webpage is not offline everytime.

If that is not resonable there is always something called Ebay.

Paco