sjordan

cutting sandblast resist

Hi everyone I'm new to plotter cutters I just cut last sunday on a graphtec CE2000 after reading the book and had an intro from a friend I started this all because I want to build a redwood sign for the state park I work at cut the letters out of sandblast resist on a plotter cutter and blast the background sounds simple huh? I contacted Graphtec and after reading some things asked them if the CE5000 would cut sandblast resist? I explained I knew very little and asked them about Tangential Emulation whether the CE5000 has this and asked wether it was a machine function or could be done through software such as smartcutpro which mentions their software has an overcut function. Graphtec said the CE 5000 will cut sandblast resist but didn't say how thick the machine would cut didn't say if the CE5000 had the TE function didn't saywether the TE is a hardware or software function they basically said I should buy the FC8000. Can't afford that being a rookie anyway can someone help straighten me out on this Tangential Emulation is it software or hardware thing and sandblast resist I've found 8mil 16mil and buttercut at .045 in anyone know what I would need to blast redwood signs and a supplier and can the CE5000 cut this media? also anyone familiar with smartcutpro by Digital art solutions? thanks to all who chime in

sjordan

Hi SJordan, Welcome to the field of sandblasting. I own a FC8000-75 and sandblast glass. The CE5000 can cut Sandmask but I suggest not to use tangential emulation. I cut 25mil Hartco sandmask with these settings. More than likely you are using CB09U blade, right? Set your pressure between 18 to 23 ( I use 23 for 25mil), overcut .008 or .012 start and end, blade offset +1, Accel 2 to 3,and  speed 10 to 12. Always remember to do a test cut and blade adjustment test. These setting will get you going. Tangential Emulation takes a long time to cut, it is not necessary for these plotters. Graphtec plotters are strong and sandmask material is soft as vinyl. You need high tack Sandmask to do wood signs or stone. You can purchase this from Fellers.com (Hartco is the name of the Sandmask). As far as SmartCut Pro I am familiar with it but I don't have it. I have researched CoCut Pro X4 and even played with the demo. Most programs piggyback off each other, you learn one...you can design in all.

thanks for your reply to my questions I haven't purchased a machine as yet. at work we have a CE2000 60 I'm not sure what blade it has but will find out I read I need to use a 60 degree true or no? and I looked at the CE5000 60 in the specs it says max material thickness .25mm that's around .010 in I've found a supplier in San Diego he has Hartco 425 series at 22.5 mil thick around .023 I figured the 5000 wouldn't cut the .023,how can I cut thicker than the manufacturers max thickness spec? if I can then can I cut the Hartco on the CE2000? what other brands of cutters are quality equipment that will cut sandblast mask I have looked at the summacut series D75 their specs say it will cut .030 in sandblast mask they are 2499.00? If I can cut on the 2000 I can wait on purchase of machine right now. thanks for the info you are the only person who has given me any info that I can use. sjordan

In your software progam, you will have an option of how many passes you want the plotter to make. You can select two passes for thicker material. A 60 degree blade is recommended for sandmask; however, I use a 45 degree CB15U supersteel. My FC8000 cut through sandmask like butter. If I don't be careful with the pressure, I end up masking my sandmask to install it. You don't want that! Your cuts should be about 3/4 cut through the mask so you won't have to mask it.