Sign in to follow this  
lastfuse

My first sign(s).

My first sign! I was contacted about doing this sign before my cutter even arrived. A friend of the family was sitting next to me when I bought it on ebay from my phone. He called me on monday with a phone # of a friend who needed a sign done. My cutter arrived on friday about an hour after I meet with the guy. Its a 5 X 9.5 double sided alumalight sign. (frame was already their) It was a lot more work than I expected but I enjoyed doing it.

Thanks to everyone on the forum I learned a lot from you guys.

P.S. What you you guys charge for this w/ & w/o installation?

aaa1.JPG

width=800 height=600http://lastfusemedia.com/ryan/aaa2.JPG[/img]

width=800 height=600http://lastfusemedia.com/ryan/aaa3.JPG[/img]

Fantastic work for a first sign.  :thumbsup: I wouldn't even begin to know what to charge for something like this.

Nice looking job!

If you can talk him into painting the frame and pole it will make his new sign look even better.

I would be $559 per side uninstalled

Figure 4 hours to install I would be $692 per side

So $1118.00 for just the signs 1384.00 installed  - let's hear what others would charge.

How long did it take you?  I am just guessing on the install time - may be all wrong!

-Mike

Guest Schramm

Your work is AWESOME!  Its just sad that they didnt have the metal part of the frame re-done so you work would shine like it should, but insted it just looks old.  None of that is your fault as your work once again is awesome...

Thanks for the comments.

I had to go rent a 15" scaffold for this install.

It took about 6 hours to install the sign because the original plan was 2 ladders. Then we had to go searching for new aluminum L brackets because the old ones had rusted out.

Guest kenya

GREAT JOB !!  :thumbsup:;D

In my area, I would charge $270 per side & also get the cost for renting a lift for a day.

In the times that we are having now, I would still be making a great profit for one days work.

Don't get me wrong.... I'm not lowballing, I'm being practical. Work is hard to come by & I would rather be making less money on my work, then just giving out estimates all day.

Wow. Great work on your first job!   I wouldn't even know where to start on a quote.  I'll post up my first sign job when I get some pictures.

Do you have any pictures of the sign before installation?  I see alot of finished work, but I would also like to see the process of how you guy split up the sign to print. I think it would benifit us to see how everyones work flow is.

Did you replace faces on the sign , or just cleaned  and reuse old ones?

BTW nice and clean work :thumbsup:

$4.50 a square installed is usually where I start. removal of anything old is extra. If I had to rent anything to install its extra, etc.

Did you replace faces on the sign , or just cleaned  and reuse old ones?

The old plexi glass sign was missing. So I replaced it with the alumalite.

GREAT JOB !!  :thumbsup:;D

In my area, I would charge $270 per side & also get the cost for renting a lift for a day.

In the times that we are having now, I would still be making a great profit for one days work.

Don't get me wrong.... I'm not low balling, I'm being practical. Work is hard to come by & I would rather be making less money on my work, then just giving out estimates all day.

In just the panels alone your going to have around $340 cut to size and all. $540 for that job is way too low IMO. Signcraft doesn't go up to 47.5 sq ft but for 40 sq ft they are saying $787 for both sides in 2 color vinyl. Since the blue is so minimal i would count this as a 2 color job. I'd say go for $800 at least just based on that and roll with it.

They are making more off this sign than you in the long run, don't be afraid to make some good money  ;D

I think ALOT of people do not charge enough.  you think well I would rather make something rather than nothing, that is not the way to think.  If you value your work and think you do a good job you should charge accordingly.  I feel if you are charging under $5 a sq ft. you are robbing yourself, and everyone else in the sign industry.  Just because you don't have the big overhead like the big sign shops don't mean you can charge so little what happens when things are going good and you wanna open a retail location, then you will have to raise your prices, and all those people that were coming to you because they get the stuff almost free will be gone.  MINIMUM I charge for decal with NO install is $9 a sq ft, and nobody ever complains, I still beat the other sign shops by 20%  Installed is more near $15 a sq ft

For this job I would be $427.50 per side with NO install so for both sides I would be $855 with NO install,

then if I was to install I would charge for me and 1 other person for about 2 hours, so I would add another $300 to that price. ($75 per hour per person, and pay the help $25 per hour) 

SO MINIMUM I would be at $1155 Installed, and have them rent a lift. 

If your so cheap that in the end you only make like $10 per hour, whats the point?  you could make more working in the mall.  I always make sure that once all supplies are paid for that I get at least $80 per hour of time that I spent on the job, so if the Job takes 10 hours I profit at least $800 after all is said and done.  And with most jobs, and as you get faster its more like $150 per hour. 

all the people that I have seen undersell me around here do not make signs anymore, and there is a good reason because they cant make enough money.  I charge what I charge because I know my work will last.  If you are having a hard time selling a job because they think its to much money tell them this. 

Say that a sign will only last 5 years (they always last longer if done right)  And say they have to pay $1000 for the sign.  That might seem like a lot but if you divide the $1000 over 5 years that is only $200 per year, now divide that by 365 (for the days of the year) and you get a wooping $0.54 a day, only 54 cents per day!  If they sell something that is only $1 and they sell an extra 1 per day because of there $1000 sign it will be worth it! 

sorry for the Long post but I get rather upset over this issue when I see someone selling signs so cheap, and usually the people come to me and have a quote for someone else that is ridiculously low, and they see mine they pick me anyways because they say that the other guys stuff must not be that good if he is charging so little.  There is an old saying "You get what you pay for".

Thank god there is someone else like myself who hates low ballers lol

Guest kenya

WOW, before you guys get so upset............ I gave my price before I knew that he used alumalite.

That does change the price. I just assumed that he used the old sign, since it obviously looked like the sign itself had been there awhile. That's my fault, I should have never assumed.

I've been in business for myself for 24 years with my day job. Believe me, I don't lowball.

I have different expenses and I charge what is fair in my area. I'm not the cheapest...... and not the highest person around.  I've seen my competition come & go, and I'm still here.

I'm very comfortable with what I charge & feel that you are also. It's great that you can charge what you do & get the work.

It's nice to see what everyone charges, but you can't go by what one person gets & think that you'll get that.

Right now & here.......... IT AIN'T HAPPENING.

Oh Yeah, as far as quality......... I sell & install only the best. That's why I get the jobs that I do.

I show my work & give references. That's says it all.

hey John!........ please don't hate me - :thumbsup:;D

I think ALOT of people do not charge enough.  you think well I would rather make something rather than nothing, that is not the way to think.  If you value your work and think you do a good job you should charge accordingly.  I feel if you are charging under $5 a sq ft. you are robbing yourself, and everyone else in the sign industry.  Just because you don't have the big overhead like the big sign shops don't mean you can charge so little what happens when things are going good and you wanna open a retail location, then you will have to raise your prices, and all those people that were coming to you because they get the stuff almost free will be gone.  MINIMUM I charge for decal with NO install is $9 a sq ft, and nobody ever complains, I still beat the other sign shops by 20%  Installed is more near $15 a sq ft

For this job I would be $427.50 per side with NO install so for both sides I would be $855 with NO install,

then if I was to install I would charge for me and 1 other person for about 2 hours, so I would add another $300 to that price. ($75 per hour per person, and pay the help $25 per hour) 

If your so cheap that in the end you only make like $10 per hour, whats the point?  you could make more working in the mall.  I always make sure that once all supplies are paid for that I get at least $80 per hour of time that I spent on the job, so if the Job takes 10 hours I profit at least $800 after all is said and done.  And with most jobs, and as you get faster its more like $150 per hour. 

all the people that I have seen undersell me around here do not make signs anymore, and there is a good reason because they cant make enough money.  I charge what I charge because I know my work will last.  If you are having a hard time selling a job because they think its to much money tell them this. 

Say that a sign will only last 5 years (they always last longer if done right)  And say they have to pay $1000 for the sign.  That might seem like a lot but if you divide the $1000 over 5 years that is only $200 per year, now divide that by 365 (for the days of the year) and you get a wooping $0.54 a day, only 54 cents per day!  If they sell something that is only $1 and they sell an extra 1 per day because of there $1000 sign it will be worth it! 

sorry for the Long post but I get rather upset over this issue when I see someone selling signs so cheap, and usually the people come to me and have a quote for someone else that is ridiculously low, and they see mine they pick me anyways because they say that the other guys stuff must not be that good if he is charging so little.  There is an old saying "You get what you pay for".

Good post, even some points I had never thought of.

Good post, even some points I had never thought of.

Thanks,

my price by the way was for only the vinyl and instalation, I didnt factor in the allumilite, if I added that it would be more like $2000. 

I understand that people get other amounts based on alot of factors, but just because you have  alow overhead dont mean you have to charge accordingly, you should quote within 20-30% of industry standered, thats why when you look at the sign makers pricing guide it seems so high becasue we could never get that becasue of people that charge 60-80% to little. 

I dont hate anyone for low balling, but people that low ball hurt the entire industy as a whole not just the local sign shops.

I don't hate anyone lol, i just hate seeing the industry ruined by hobbyists (no offense)

I was prone to assumption the other day, a guy said his boss got a 4x8 sign for $200 for their new shop and i thought that was super low or he was lying. I went there today to do a coroplast job for them and it was on cheap coro, i said "oooooh i see why it was $200, it was coro, i figured it would have been aluminum or MDO"

lol

Guest kenya

I don't hate anyone lol, i just hate seeing the industry ruined by hobbyists (no offense)

I was prone to assumption the other day, a guy said his boss got a 4x8 sign for $200 for their new shop and i thought that was super low or he was lying. I went there today to do a coroplast job for them and it was on cheap coro, i said "oooooh i see why it was $200, it was coro, i figured it would have been aluminum or MDO"

lol

None taken here, because I'm not a hobbyist. :thumbsup:

Look, we are all going to give different prices. That's the way of life.

I commend anyone that can do their work & get a great price. I just can't get your prices here.

I guess I'm no where near the most of you, as far as pricing goes.

But come on..... it was starting to sound like the guys from signs101 were here.

Hope no one gets all whacked because I charge less. I take pride in my work, it's not crappy. I never cut corners & I have a great customer base because of my established business.

For most of you, it probably cost ALOT more for your expenses. But I charge what I need to, to stay in business.

These post are just to give others an idea of pricing, it's not written in stone. The standard is out the door in this economy. :'(

Guest fivestar

I never cut corners

Except on magnets.  :thumbsup:;D:rolleyes: That just popped into my head when I seen you say you never cut corners.  I thought you better on magnets or they will come flying off the vehicle.

I never cut corners

Except on magnets.  ;D ;D ;D That just popped into my head when I seen you say you never cut corners.  I thought you better on magnets or they will come flying off the vehicle.

LOL!

To be honest, when i started i had no idea what to charge and was very low. Now, i have formulated a pricing method and am charging higher and i'm getting it. You aren't getting the higher prices because your not asking for them  :thumbsup:

I don't worry much at all what shops around me are charging, of course i sneak a peak to see here and there but that's about it. Most of my business is from word of mouth so people care more about getting a quality sign business than a cheaper price from up the road.

I had a guy yesterday say "oh i can get this for $X price" and this and that, today i got 2 coro jobs for a car wash they are having up the road this weekend and he said i i get them done by Wednesday i can have this job he was talking about earlier  ;D Coming through is the key.