Sign in to follow this  
lexiprice

how to make vinyl wrap around cylindrical objects?

I've looked all over for this, I imagine someone has had this question, but can't find anything. I'm trying to wrap a small word around a circular wine glass but it won't go on straight. Is there a way to manipulate the text in signblazer to have it look straight when it's applied? I can't wrap my brain around it.

Thanks in advance. You all are the best.

So I'm thinking the glass is tapered . There is ways to do that in 1 piece thru node edit etc but it would seem very time consuming . Alot trial & error unless you are a mathematician & can measure the taper etc of the glass .  A simple way to do it would be to apply each letter separately . If you are going to make & apply it in 1 piece , I would make a pattern out of paper & then measure . In the node edit , you can move each letter around however you want .  ;D

Wrap and tape a peice of paper to the glass. Draw a line level around the glass where you want your text. (brace a pen on another object to hold it at the proper hieght and turn the glass around to draw the line so it is straight.) Unwrap the paper and determine the radius of the arc. (Geometry lesson - using a protractor create two equal length intersecting arcs starting at different points on the curve and measure the distance between the curve and the intersection) Create text on a curve of this radius.   This should be pretty close.