Sign in to follow this  
Guest manwayvan

need help centering on magnet

Guest manwayvan

Okay I have a paying customer wantin some car mags for there construction company. I cut the text out of scraps and I was wondering about what the best way to square and center a graphic onto a mag would be. My eye is not very good and I don't want to disappoint a payin customer

Guest round2racing

I use thin painters tape to tape down guidelines if absolutely necessary.

Here's the method I use:

Once you put the application tape on the weeded vinyl, you can use a ruler and mark out the horizontal & vertical center lines (on the app tape) for each graphic being applied.  I just use a regular pen for this, and a clear ruler makes it super simple.  Here's the ruler I use:

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p4_Staedtler-18-Graph-Ruler_134401_Business_Supplies_0_10051_SC1:CG821:DP4141:CL162325:SS1025736

On the magnet material (or *most* substrates), you can use a grease pencil to mark out any guiding marks needed.  I almost always line out the standard vertical and horizontal centering marks, then any additional guide lines as needed if the graphics are chopped up into various pieces.  I use very light force when using the grease pencil, which makes cleaning them off easy (soapy water works for me).  If you're not sure whether the grease pencil will clean off completely, test it on a small sample first. 

For grease pencils, I have about every color imaginable and use the lightest color I can get by with on the substrate.  I've seen times when it's difficult to get black grease pencil markings off white substrates if a lot of force is used.  I generally use the hinge method (wet) when applying vinyl, and clean the grease pencil marks off as I'm going so I don't lay vinyl over the markings. 

Hope this helps.

Guest manwayvan

Thanks for the tips I got em done and will be posting some pics in the show off thread