Sign in to follow this  
jigga bites

Dishwasher safe vinyl?

Probably a noobish question... but I thought it would be cool to make custom wine or shot glasses with dishwasher-safe vinyl decals.  Can this be accomplished?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

I would give it a try with Oracal 651. If it will hold up to car washes and sitting out in the sun on a 100 degree day I don't see why the dishwasher would take it off. I don't know if I would risk putting it through the dry cycle though.

A dishwasher normally heats the water to a scalding temperature. Good Luck

A dishwasher normally heats the water to a scalding temperature. Good Luck

This is what I'm worried about. I'm not sure if applying heat would 'melt' the vinyl to the glass and keep it safe, or if the hot water would just blast it off.  (small pieces especially)

Hmm...

Anyone else have any luck with this?

You could always make a decal to add that says " Handwash only "  :)  I'm sure the decal would not fair well for very long using a dishwasher .  :thumbsup:

I'm going to try one tonight. I will let you know how it goes.

I have read on here that some members have done that & it held up awhile . I guess it depends on how hot the dishwasher heats the water up to .  :)

I don't know about regular vinyl, but I put some SignGold on a liter beer mug, and ran it through 5 washings in a Kenmore Ultrawash machine. Looks just like it did the first go round. (LEGAL DISCLAIMER- Now I'm not advocating anyone should do this, or that it's safe, or it's safe to put signgold on a glass you will be drinking from. All I'm saying is, I ran it through several washings, and it still looks good). I just did it because a lady ask me if it was dishwasher safe? I told her it was only a display piece, but then my curiosity took over. 

I don't know about regular vinyl, but I put some SignGold on a liter beer mug, and ran it through 5 washings in a Kenmore Ultrawash machine. Looks just like it did the first go round. (LEGAL DISCLAIMER- Now I'm not advocating anyone should do this, or that it's safe, or it's safe to put signgold on a glass you will be drinking from. All I'm saying is, I ran it through several washings, and it still looks good). I just did it because a lady ask me if it was dishwasher safe? I told her it was only a display piece, but then my curiosity took over.

Top or bottom rack?

I would think something like that is more a decorative thing than a daily use thing. You can always tell the customers to hand wash them. It wont kill them.

Top rack.

Mr. Camaro is correct, it was just a decorative piece, but I remember trying to remove some a while back and that is the most god-awful stuff to try to remove you'll ever run into to. If you ever put signgold on something, it needs to be something that will never  want to be changed.

Stadard dishwashers like Whirlpool , Kenmore etc. only heat the water to about 150-160 on a good day, and it all depends on the input water temp. The dry cycle is about the same. I work for a company that is overseen by a government agency and requires us to have dishwashers that heat to a minimum of 160. I called all the other manufacturers and they all said the same thing, " ours 'MIGHT' heat to 160 but we can't guarantee it. I finally found a Bosch unit that does it every time, so we don't get gigged.

Temps on a vehicle window can exceed taht by a lot so i think they shold be ok, just have to worry about some of the dishsoaps deteriorating the adhesive maybe.

Kevin

I can tell you from experience that Avery A6 applied to a clean whiskey glass and washed in a Kitchenaid on the top rack with Cascade did not fair well. Smaller segments on the project lifted after one washing with no heat dry. The remainder of the project appeared to possess a level of adhesion lower than when first applied. This same type of vinyl has survived 24 months thus far in all weather applied to the back of our vehicle and regularly subjected to high pressure car washes and direct midwestern sun light. 

Our Kitchenaid is 10 years old and if my recollection is correct from working in the sales and service segment of the appliance industry was designed to preheat the water to 180

Older dishwashers get hotter. When the gov ment made mfgs put energy guides on appliances the first thing to go was the higher temps. Drops energy usage quick. Why older dishwashers dry a lot better. I'm in the dishwasher mfg business for 8 more weeks and then they shut the doors and i gotta find something else to do. ;)