Kwelp68

Oracal 631 and R Tape High Tack 4076

The tape was suggested to me by an Oracal rep.  Has anybody used it or had any experience with it with 631 removable vinyl?  I've had some issues getting the vinyl to peel off the backing using medium tack tape.  Thanks for any replies.

I have used it. You must be doing wall art. It seems the darker colors seem to stick to the backing. When trying to remove it from the back turn it over and remove the backing from the tape instead. That way you can see where/when it is sticking and use you knife to remove it easier.

Christi

Hey, thanks for the reply Christi!  You think the 4076 is going to make a much larger difference than the medium tack clear tape?  I know it's stickier, but did you have problems with the vinyl lifting with it?  I've been using that method, turning it over and pulling the backing from the design.  It would lift the larger parts of the designs, but the smaller ones 1" by 1" were having a hell of a time.  I started helping them along with the knife.  I've got three wall orders to complete in the next week, and i get this tape on Friday.  I just hope it works a significant amount better, as I don't want to send things out that are ridiculously hard for the customer to handle.

I am not sure about the different tape. I have only used Rtape and clear and still the same problem. Let me know if the tape works better for you!

Christi

I sure will.  ;D  Oracal said it would work well so we'll see.  I've heard of the "cutting too deep" problem, but I'm using a 60 downforce.  It barely if at all makes a mark on the backing.  So, it can't be the downforce.  Somebody else on here was talking about 4076 as what they use.  Maybe they'll see this and say something.  If anyone else has experience with 631 and tape 4076, please give us some input.  ;D

I've used 4076 high tack app tape with 631 for wall words/art and it worked pretty good.  Doing the pre-release on the backing like you're doing should help a bunch.  Even with high tack there are times when the vinyl just doesn't want to release from the backing paper once I start to apply.  I just burnish those areas with my squeegee heavily until it releases or use my knife to give it started.

Hey, thanks for the reply.  If it works any better than the medium tack I was working with, i'll be pretty happy.  I think I'll even try lowering my cutting blade lower than 60 g, but that seems like it would be too low.  I know that there is a solution as there are many companies successfully selling wall vinyl.

Oracal makes a HT-55 tape and recommends it for 631.  Have you tried that?

Personally, I just use the AT60, and haven't run into a lot of problems.  I burninsh it really hard before removing the backing.

Just got the 4076 in the mail.  Just to the feel, I thought it would be stickier than it is.  Hmm, won't know till I try it.  It is a paper tape, where as I was using a clear tape. I really hope this lifts 631 well. 

Wow wow wow!  R tape 4076 high tack is the sh@#t for Oracal 631!  I just did a test cut of a 7" by 7" Bob Dlyan in tourquise vinyl with a lot of detail.  Some of the small pieces of vinyl where less than 1/4" inch maybe 1/8".  That 4076 picked it right up with no problem whatsoever and put it on the wall with no problem.  I didn't even have to squeegee that hard!  I did lower my pressure on my refine to 40 g.  In combination with the tape, it works wonders.  Just wanted to pass this info along for anyone doing wall decals with 631.

Thanks for the update. I will have to get some of that tape and give it a try.

Christi

Wow wow wow!  R tape 4076 high tack is the sh@#t for Oracal 631!  I just did a test cut of a 7" by 7" Bob Dlyan in tourquise vinyl with a lot of detail.  Some of the small pieces of vinyl where less than 1/4" inch maybe 1/8".  That 4076 picked it right up with no problem whatsoever and put it on the wall with no problem.  I didn't even have to squeegee that hard!  I did lower my pressure on my refine to 40 g.  In combination with the tape, it works wonders.  Just wanted to pass this info along for anyone doing wall decals with 631.

where did you purchase, the r-tape 4076 high tack tape?  thanks in advance..

I got it from here.  http://www.rjsign.com/  I talked to Barry the owner on the phone.  He was super nice and helpful.  They are based out of MO.  I live in Oklahoma and it took 2 days to get to me.  They also sent me a bunch of free vinyl to try and all kinds of catalogs.  I've only ordered this one thing from them, but I know I'll be ordering my tape from them from now on.

Oh, cool!  I'll go look and see how much it is.  I got 24" by 100 yd for $63.00 from R & J.  Just make sure it's 4076 instead of 4075.  I found that most places don't have the 4076 in stock because it's a more specialty tape, so they have to order it.  R & J carries it in stock.

Ok, I got 10 squeegees for .73 a piece, the roll of tape for 63.10 and two day shipping at 8.70 for a total of $79.10.  Not to mention they sent me two rolls of 15" X2 yds of red hi cal vinyl.  :)