stryker1

The Big Squeegee

I have 2 of them. The best tool you will ever buy....Its easy as it looks

Im not sure on small jobs. I used it to lay the vinyl on banners/signs and masking.. i never tried to layer with it. i guess it would work just fine.

No offense to Dale (I believe that's the inventor/sellers name), but it's just a damn piece of expanded PVC substrate with felt on the edges.

I have no problem with people making money, but whats the margin on this thing, 1000%?  Buy if it you'd like.

Guest round2racing

Hey Midwaste,

Would you mind explaining how you would go about making one of these.

I can't possibly afford this, but I would love to make one.  It looks like a great idea!!

No offense to Dale (I believe that's the inventor/sellers name), but it's just a damn piece of expanded PVC substrate with felt on the edges.

I have no problem with people making money, but whats the margin on this thing, 1000%?  Buy if it you'd like.

His business is going under, he said he cant afford to make them anymore... The way i heard that he will be done in the very near future...

Buy a piece of expanded PVC sign substrate.  Cut it to whatever length you want it to be by about 6 inches wide or so.  Go buy a yard of felt at a fabric store.  Cut about a 1.5" wide strip from it.  Use contact cement and glue it on the edges.

I'm not surprised he's going out of business.  He probably would have sold tons more if he would have priced them reasonably.  There can't be more than $2 worth of materials in one.

His business is going under, he said he cant afford to make them anymore... The way i heard that he will be done in the very near future...

Sorry to hear about anyone going under - I have one and once you get use to it, it works great.

I dont know about his business going under, he just posted new videos recently of handles that he is working on for the big squeegee. Looks like you will be able to use it standing up with the vinyl on the floor now! Pretty cool!

I made mine - works great!  I used some heavy duty velcro from WalMart  2" wide - ran the edge of a piece of 1/4 plastic sheet I got from my vinyl suppliers scrap bin through my woodworking jointer to get perfectly square and straight.  I used the loop tape for mine - and probably will use the hook tape on a future version and then cut felt strip to cover the hook tape and be easily replaced.  I use mine for masking - haven't done an edge yet with a thinner tape for applying the graphics - and probably would buy at least one from Dale to see if his do something better than the one I made.  The main thing I found is to get the masking smooth and wrinkle free at the edge of your worktable - push with the pressure centered on the graphic and the applicator at something like a 45 degree angle to the table - smooth and steady and it works like a charm -- little learning curve at first, but a great tool.

-Mike

Guest kenya

I made mine - works great!  I used some heavy duty velcro from WalMart  2" wide - ran the edge of a piece of 1/4 plastic sheet I got from my vinyl suppliers scrap bin through my woodworking jointer to get perfectly square and straight.  I used the loop tape for mine - and probably will use the hook tape on a future version and then cut felt strip to cover the hook tape and be easily replaced.  I use mine for masking - haven't done an edge yet with a thinner tape for applying the graphics - and probably would buy at least one from Dale to see if his do something better than the one I made.  The main thing I found is to get the masking smooth and wrinkle free at the edge of your worktable - push with the pressure centered on the graphic and the applicator at something like a 45 degree angle to the table - smooth and steady and it works like a charm -- little learning curve at first, but a great tool.

-Mike

Photos Mike........... let me see it.

Sounds like another great project for my hubby.  :police:

The one I made is dark brown and the velcro is black so I'll have to see if it shows up in a photo -- I have a gray colored piece that will show up better - when I put the tape on I'll get a shot of it.

-Mike

Guest kenya

The one I made is dark brown and the velcro is black so I'll have to see if it shows up in a photo -- I have a gray colored piece that will show up better - when I put the tape on I'll get a shot of it.

-Mike

Thanks  :angel:

Still haven't gotten around to making the one on the grey plastic. - but I posted some pics of the brown one to another topic today.   They showed up OK so I'll post them here too.

The material is pebbly on one side and smooth on the other 1/4" thick and 24"x9" just because that's the size of the scrap I got from my vinyl suppliers scrap bin (free)  I don't remember what they told me the material is - maybe ABS?  Anyway it is pretty stiff and that's what you need - 1/4" seems perfect.  On the edge is heavy duty 2" velcro from Walmart.  I ran the edge of the plastic through my jointer (woodworking machine) to give it a flat smooth square edge.  Put the velcro (fuzzy half) on straight as possible and made about 1" overlap on top and bottom edge.  I've used mine a lot and the material seems to have shrunk a little in length - you can see where the adhesive is showing at the ends.  Doesn't make any difference in how it works though.

To use I put the transfer tape roll near the edge of the table and pull enough off to hang down past the end of the table.  I make sure the roll is square to the end of the table and smooth the transfer tape down to the edge of the table so when I push it forward it will roll off the roll without any wrinkling.   It takes a little trial and error to get the right technique - but basically just hold the squeege about 45 degrees to table surface - square to the roll - push mostly in the center part of the squeege and - it goes on smooth and bubble free.

If you can't make one they are well worth buying - makes these jobs go faster - I was always getting wrinkles and bubbles doing it by hand -

-Mike

post-4108-12986544785091_thumb.jpg

post-4108-12986544785634_thumb.jpg

post-4108-12986544785911_thumb.jpg

post-4108-12986544795098_thumb.jpg

post-4108-12986544795532_thumb.jpg

post-4108-12986544795723_thumb.jpg