I have a couple stupid questions ;~)

I have received a request for a creative wall vinyl quote using a poem by James Wright. I feel like I need to get approval, first. My significant other thinks we're good. I went ahead and sent a request. However, I would like to potentially make more moolah, and create wall vinyl using other poems. (As I type this out, the questions seem dumber and dumber). Here goes: What do you guys think? Is that a blatant copyright violation or what?

And what about quotes from TV/Book hits?  For instance, "Winter is Coming", etc..?

Thanks

Quote "What do you guys think? Is that a blatant copyright violation or what?"

Absolutely a violation of Copyright.

• Like 1

there is a HUGE amount of poetry out there that is in the public domain. Why bother with something that is still copyrighted?

• Like 1

there is a HUGE amount of poetry out there that is in the public domain. Why bother with something that is still copyrighted?

Someone specifically asked for this poem. I am definitely going to check what's in the public domain, though. Thanks for the suggestion. I have received a response from Wesleyan University Press that my request will take about four weeks to process. So, my fingers are crossed. 

Could I get some more details/thoughts on the "Winter is Coming" bit? From what I've read, you can take small pieces of literature without violating copyright. Of course, there is no set percentage.... It seems to me that "Winter is Coming" is such a small piece of the the Game of Thrones Book Series, that it might be legal to make decals with.  Any thoughts? 

Go easy on me, please.

'winter is coming' is a common phrase. You can't copyright a common phrase.

• Like 1

'winter is coming' is a common phrase. You can't copyright a common phrase.

As long as you market it solely as a "Winter is Coming" wall art decal, you're safe.

The moment you mention "as seen in Game of Thrones" then you're setting yourself up for failure.

Thank you for your insight, folks. Copyright seems really complicated. Can anyone recommend any website that could help clear it up?

Thanks, again.

Thank you for your insight, folks. Copyright seems really complicated. Can anyone recommend any website that could help clear it up?

Thanks, again.

not complicated - if you didn't create it or have permission from those that did - you don't have the right to reproduce.  except items that are in the public domain.   company logos, pictures of people or items that are recognizable etc are pretty much off limits legally

Thanks for your input. It's that "pretty much" part that makes it seem complicated. I'll figure it out...

So NFL and NCAA team logos are copyright right... Please let me know thanks...

Based on everything you've read in this thread, What do you think?