:police: You have to power to kill it... (LOCKED) :unsure:

I keep hoping that the OP will fill us in on the outcome. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

• Like 1

Me also . 1 of the best reads/benificial threads IMO . 1/2 of it is actually on track :)

Me also . 1 of the best reads/benificial threads IMO . 1/2 of it is actually on track :)

meaning the other 1/2 is total BS?

• Like 1

yes :D especially 1 of our old buddies ahhhhh content :)

And I bet everyone has a different opinion on what 1/2 is bullshit......

lol you are so predictable.

• Like 1

And I bet everyone has a different opinion on what 1/2 is bullshit......

Which 1/2 do you consider that :huh: Nuke's tangent is the worst IMO , though it was fun :) .

I will not go too far into it.....But I will say that many on this board do not have a clue about Intellectual Property law...

• Like 1

I agree , That is why I said in 1 post an excuse might be " the devil made me do it " but that is not a legal defense either ( it is close to what some think is a suffiecient reason :) ) ... He said , she said , what is logical , what makes sense , what is reasonable , how the copyright owner should feel , how they should act & how they should appreciate what others do ... has NOTHING to do with legalities .

*Facepalm*  Not again...

OMG .. the thread that won't die as 1 member called it !!! This post has me cracking up . plus several other member's posting in reaction to Nuke ... he was ALWAYS consistant on being a grammer cop :lol:  :angel:  :bear: 

I think the issue being that the observation wasn't within context of the conversation.  Editorial comments that do not contribute to direction of the conversation are what others consider "Trolling", since it is enticing a reaction from others.  While your response is valid, that others excessive reaction can be viewed negatively, and in turn elicits further reaction from you, and so on...  Its a self fulfilling prophecy = facepalm.

Moral of the story, if you know that a comment / observation will most likely provoke a response which is off-topic, regardless of validity, then nobody here should be surprised that the degeneration of a thread occurs.

well said . . . 

good info...and nice to know that Black & Decker has nothing better to do.

Well we both know they arent working on better tools...

I think they were . I use DeWalt 1/2" cordless impacts & they do a great job & are alot more affordable than Snap-On , Milwalkee etc . DeWalt did not go after Laura , they allowed some company to go after anybody breaking the law . If we were in their place , we might see things more their way .. especially the stock holders . they are involved to make money & have a standard of what represents them . that is part of any agreement most companies make with vendors . If Harley let eveybody make Harley T-Shirts , they would not be protecting the companies they contract with to make T-shirts for them . Loyalty enters in the situation also . Somebody could make DeWalt decals that faded fast , was not correct & at least take away from the company DeWalts pays to make official decals . It is much more than what Monday morning quarterbacks think .

I never have understood this...you are making their logos..doing all the work and investing money..and they basically get free advertising!!!

Free Advertising for them and they want to sue u!!!

If someone took my copyrighted logo and made some and sold them...id be happy..free advertising for me!!!

The law was made to protect intellectual property , not to make sense . With the law , they have control over quality " IF " they let anybodt reproduce what they own . They are not scrambling to make a name , they already have spent enough to do so . In situations like this with DeWalt ,.. it does seem that no harm for extra advertising . Harly , Disney etc ... make a TON of money selling stuff & illegally produced stufff eats into what is due to them .

correct, and look at the graphics companies that have paid a HUGE amount to have the license to produce the images, for Harley, Disney etc.   And I mean tens of thousands of dollars they put up to have the rights to make the images.  They pay those amounts to get a return on their investment.

It is not always about a name/logo either.  Could be just designs that YOU made.  Say, you made an original design,seeing as how you state your a graphic designer, that turned out to be a great seller for you.  SO, you are wanting everybody else to copy it and make money off of it also?  You want them to take money that should have been yours.?  Then by all means, post up all of your original files/designs, everything you have ever made... because your saying there is no problem with it...after all, it is just FREE advertising for YOU....right?  And I'm sure anyone who grabs your files, will give your name credit that you designed them and send the money to you....  LOL,  It won't happen.... And IF someone other than yourself, turns one of your designs into a great money maker, for themselves, don't say a word.  It's FREE advertising for YOU...  You can sit there and be struggling, making your nickles and dimes, and they are making serious money off YOUR designs. BUT hey, that's FREE advertising,, right?  

You also claim to do websites, and other graphic design work for  clients. So, I guess your saying it's alright to give your clients custom made orders away, to other clients,...... also. Because it is all FREE advertising for them also........

• Like 1

Rodger most laws don't make sense but when it comes to copyright such as logos I try to get permission to do them. I was just recently turned down by The CocaCola Compant due to someone already produces window decals. So far on my search I have found nothing like that but found hats and tshirts. Nw I'm basically a CocaCola/mello yellow kind of person I told them that and that I had permission to make model railroad decals back in the day. And still nothing. I figure is due to I'm a small company they don't want to deal with. Now thres another company I sent emails to regarding making there logo and I haven't received a no or yes nd its been a month, I'm going to follow up on it and see if I get a reply. Thinking this company really doesn't care as long as its done right. But as said I'm going to do a follow up.

The issue is most companies look at there logos as money makers now. Everybody wants window decals, or vehicle decals and the big corps just love swimming in money. The other big deal like stated soooo many times is they like having control on the products with there name on it. They don't want someone producing a subpar product that fails or looks like crap. It makes the company look bad. As stated above when I made model railroad decals coca cola made me send them a sample of my decals before giving me the actual go ahead and sell letter.

Im still pretty new at this, Ive cut logos before when i first started,  for friends, but now I wont do it. I just see and hear about all this all the time, I cant afford to loose my house, wife kids, etc over decals. 

These big name company's are getting too anal  about all this now days. over a damn sticker, if it was mine i would be more than happy that people are interested in my logo. i can understand if someone is making THOUSANDS off of it, but a dollar here and there, common, and now ya sue for over $4000.00 

im sorry it happened to ya.. I wish ya all the luck.

You gotta admit , it is a deterrent for some . For those who take the gamble , they will probably win % wise ... but some will lose .

Well i think the first part of this was BS and that lara was telling one .And was BS ing everyone. Its been over 3 yrs now with no answer from Lara so was it her BS ing or not?

Well i think the first part of this was BS and that lara was telling one .And was BS ing everyone. Its been over 3 yrs now with no answer from Lara so was it her BS ing or not?

Well considering most settlements come with a non-disclosure she more than likely just can not talk about it.

• Like 3

My dad always told me to NOT believe anything that was told to me & only about 1/2 of what I actually seen , then i would be about 1/2 right . As with anything in lfe ( ESPECIALLY on the internet )  , it is told as the teller decides to tell it . I think Lara was telling it as it happened . It is just advice , so take it or discard it . It is each person's decision to do or not do anything including copyright infringement .

• Like 3

we will look forward to hearing your story when it happens.  cut some HD stuff and post it up for sale LOL

• Like 1

i dont see how they can sue you - you're not the one displaying it on your car

maybe we should all put a disclaimer on our work orders when logo work comes up that the customer has to sign

like   "I hereby authorize blah blah, I am responsible blah blah..."

i dont see how they can sue you - you're not the one displaying it on your car

maybe we should all put a disclaimer on our work orders when logo work comes up that the customer has to sign

like   "I hereby authorize blah blah, I am responsible blah blah..."

knock knock knock Mcfly - you in there - if you make the decal and sell it you are in violation and liable - it was a set up that someone fell into.  You reproduce a logo without authorization and they will own your assets.